• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ED50 - Angled or Straight? (1 Viewer)

Sancho,

I think if that's your main scope and you love it, then you could really use both versions, and it really would not be too much of an obsession to have both, but rather a real necessity.
You know, EE, I think I agree. Could you come round to Chez Sancho and explain that to Mrs. Sancho?;)

I'm really liking your line of thinking, EE! Buying the angled too would be a piece of genuine research! Okay, wait till Santa sorts me out.

yes, but have you been good ? ;)

And I only get a tripod head. But I did not wait for Santa, I get it next week. 3:) My other head is in fact a Manfrotto too, but I dropped the scope, a porro design, and it survived. Landed flat along its length. The mounting screw was something to keep track of several times a day.

Sancho,

I think that if Mrs. Sancho really listens closely she will easily see the wisdom of this logic! After all it's only about $400 US as opposed to other scope things which could be horrendously more $$$! :king:

EE

Hi Sancho,

In addition to window mounting, a very real advantage to a straight scope is if you ever want to use it attached to a Nikon SLR for "through-the-lens" photography using this attachment:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...)&sq=asc&ac=&bsi=&ci=7933&shs=&at=Brand_Nikon

It's a lot more secure than a digiscope apparatus, and may just be one of those incremental advantages to a straight scope over an angled one.

Very personal, but I like it with my ED60 and ED82 Fieldscopes.

Robert

Hi Sancho,

In addition to window mounting, a very real advantage to a straight scope is if you ever want to use it attached to a Nikon SLR for "through-the-lens" photography using this attachment:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...)&sq=asc&ac=&bsi=&ci=7933&shs=&at=Brand_Nikon

It's a lot more secure than a digiscope apparatus, and may just be one of those incremental advantages to a straight scope over an angled one.

Very personal, but I like it with my ED60 and ED82 Fieldscopes.

Robert
Sincerest thanks, Robert. In my case, the window-mounting and digiscoping advantages of straight scopes don´t apply, ´cos I don´t digiscope and never bird from a car. But I can appreciate how your advice is spot on for those who do. I´ve always found angled scopes a real pain in the ..... from a hide, though.

yes, but have you been good ? ;)
At my most recent Appraisal my aptitudes and progress, as well as my goal-setting and achievement objectives, were deemed, under a list of Performance Evaluators, to be within the parameters acceptable for the meriting of a modest bonus, in the shape of a body-only travelscope. (In other words Mrs. S. says yes but I have to behave...no more silly bikes, no more weekends to Cape Clear...;))

Sancho, Good work and congrats! Let us know what you think!
Thanks, EE!!! The angled ED50 arrived today, I gave both a quick amateur "test" outside as the light was fading (best time to test them, I suppose). The angled version was unsurprisingly far more comfortable to use on a tripod....absolutely no contest. The angled version was, however, well-nigh impossible to use on a shoulder-pod, so consider that, prospective buyers, if you want to use a 20x and a shoulder-pod. I prefer 27x now, so I´ll go with the angled plus light tripod. It was really hard to compare the angled and straight versions as regards brightness, because I only have one 27x eyepiece, and I was trying to quickly switch it from one t´other and "remember" what I´d seen. The straight version may have been a tiny bit brighter, but I may have been imagining that because that was what I was expecting to find. I´ll try the angled in the field at the weekend (especially if that Cattle Egret is still at Kilcoole!), but after even a short while using it, I´m happier with the angled, definitely. Thanks for all the advice, everyone, stand by until Sancho´s next obsession kicks in.....

Sancho,

The difference in light transmission between these two is probably around 5-7%. Not exactly a deal breaker and most likely only visible if you switch very quickly, back and forth, between them. I can't "remember" a particular brightness level accurately for more than a couple of seconds.

Henry

I normally use a hide clamp if I am visiting a reserve with plenty of hides. I have discovered that, if necessary, I can use the ED50 hand held where there is nothing to clamp it to by holding the stem of the clamp just below the scope. If the clamping piece is at the bottom of the stem it acts as a counter balance steadying the scope a bit. It's not brilliant but it has enabled me to see some things which the binoculars couldn't quite reach.

Ron

You must be using it wrongly, Sancho. It's a dream to use on either a shoulder or chest pod.
I´ll try it again, Scampo, thanks for the advice, ´cos I was going to give the shoulder-pod away! Thanks for the light-transmission info too, Henry, I imagine there´s no discernible difference at all in reasonably good light conditions.

Well, for my eye lower light transmission is discernible, even in good light, as a loss of vividness in the image. However, the transmission percentages here (maybe lower 90s in the straight and mid 80s in the angled) are both high enough so that no real sense of dimness is likely to be noticed in the angled except in a direct comparison. I find that once transmission drops to around 80% the image appears dull even without comparison to something better.

Last edited:
The difference in light transmission between these two is probably around 5-7%. Not exactly a deal breaker and most likely only visible if you switch very quickly, back and forth, between them. I can't "remember" a particular brightness level accurately for more than a couple of seconds.

Henry

I have just bought a straight ED50 from infocus by mail order (they didn't have them in the infocus shop at Barnes WWT) with the aim of taking it along to Barnes and comparing it to the angled version and deciding whether it was really a straight or an angled which best suited me.

Anyway, comparing the two on site, focussing on some distant crows and trees, the angled was far brighter (and crisper) when on maximum (40*) zoom than the straight was. This threw me a bit as was the opposite to the above described. I had thought the straight was pretty good, crisp, clear etc when using at home when compared to my bins and ancient 20* nikon.

I presume this dullness is due to lower quality optics in my straight version?

However, I didn't think to swap the 13-40* zooms over to check that as I thought they were usually pretty uniform, could that be the issue though?

There is a 14 day returns period (ran out today), but because I want to look at the 27* eyepiece (and if suitable will take that in preference to the zoom) I still have more time to decide as that won't be instore for another week or so. (btw does the 27* have twist down rubber eyepiece like the zoom?)

Any other thoughts or advise? Will get there eventually. . . cheers,

Dan

It sounds as if you have a faulty scope if the straight is less bright than the angled. I have the angled and have been thrilled with it as it compares well with my full size scope.

Dan, I tested the straight versus angled ED50's side by side. If I saw any real difference at all, it was in favour of the straight scope, so I reckon there's summat amiss with your straight scope. In any case, I decided the advantages of the angled scope far outweighed any minimal and possibly imperceptible brightness differences. The 27x is a true gem of an ep, IMHO. I hope it all works out, as I'm sure it will. Best of Luck!

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back