• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ABA Big Year 2019 (1 Viewer)

Updated lists, which, of course, are already out of date because it's May!
Joe

Attachments

• NewABABigYears2019.xlsx
    131.1 KB · Views: 47
  • NewABABigYears2019ByCode.xlsx
    614.7 KB · Views: 46
No. He knows he needs to do some editing. Incorporating the photos is proving to be difficult.

In breaking news, the McQuades and the Deans hit 600 today in the Pacific Northwest! Amazingly, all four birders are at 601 starting today.

Joe

Attachments

130.9 KB · Views: 55
    614.5 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
Since my last post, John Weigel has added six coded birds:
Black-capped Gnatcatcher (3) - back-added, 26th March
Murphy's Petrel (3)
Common Greenshank (3)
Black-tailed Godwit (3)
White-tailed Eagle (4) - back-added, 12th March
Common Crane (4).

Also added a lot of code 1 and few code 2, most back-added (seen earlier in the year but added just now). Is he adding birds later identified from photos or has big problems with his blog?

He's adding things he photographed. According to the list he sent me of back-dated birds, they're all up but six of them. When inputting things earlier I found it hard to believe that he was at Magee and didn't get Barn & Tree Swallow. Turns out he did.

Joe

Addressing all three of Brian's questions, John has removed Franklin's Gull from his list. His Swainson's Thrush photo has been updated, as Brian was correct, of course. That wasn't a photo of a Swainson's Thrush, but a Swainson's Warbler. The Mew Gull photo has also been replaced.
Updated lists will be forthcoming this evening, most likely.

Joe

Last edited:
John has removed Franklin's Gull from his list. Updated lists will be forthcoming this evening, most likely.

Joe

What else has gone? Lucy's Warbler dropped from #601 to #599

Knowing some of the locations he has been, I am really surprised that some of the 'easy' species that he is missing - No;
  • White-faced Ibis
  • Heerman's Gull
  • Northern Bobwhite
  • Gambel's Quail
  • Wilson's Phalarope
  • Vaux's Swift
  • etc

This must be the close to the lowest code 1 & 2 list in reaching 600!

The other change was that he replaced his Swainson's Hawk listing (which was a listing error as opposed to an ID error) with this week's sighting, accounting for the Lucy's shift.

Joe

Here's an updated list, as of this morning. I'm still missing one of John's species, most likely a common one that he entered after the fact. He's going to look for it, too, but if one of you with a fresh cup of coffee (or tea, for my friends across the pond) wants to comb through his sightings, please feel free!

Joe

Attachments

614.4 KB · Views: 22
    130.9 KB · Views: 20
Here's an updated list, as of this morning. I'm still missing one of John's species, most likely a common one that he entered after the fact. He's going to look for it, too, but if one of you with a fresh cup of coffee (or tea, for my friends across the pond) wants to comb through his sightings, please feel free!

Joe
Altamira Oriole is the missing one.

If I had any brains I'd have checked the Forum before diving back in. Thanks, Tikli! I was just coming on to tell everyone that I found it, and you beat me to it. A fine, helpful community this is.

Joe

Now that John Weigel has finally some blog updates, time for a little analysis.

Still no blog updates from following periods:
March:
17.-20. California
21.-28. Arizona (Ferruginous Pygmy-Owl (3) and Black-capped Gnatcatcher(3))

April:
11.-15. Hawaii (nine code 3:s, four from pelagic trip)
16. Florida - Key West Quail-Dove (4) twitch
21.-24. Dry Tortugas, Florida (Masked Booby (3) and Bahama Mockingbird (4))
25.-26. ???
27. California
28.-29. ???
30.4. offshore cruise, California

May:
1.-2. offshore cruise, California-Oregon (Murphy's and Cook's Petrel (both 3))
4.-5. and 8.-9. Ohio, interrupted by
6. New York - Common Greenshank (3) twitch
7. Newfoundland, Canada - Black-tailed Godwit (3) twitch
10. California
11.-14. apparently a trip home to Australia
15. Arizona - Common Crane (4) twitch

I would be especially interested in the period between Dry Tortugas and California offshore cruise. Some unsuccessful twitching trips?

He has dipped at least Tamaulipas Crow (4) in Brownsville, Texas and had no time for Zenaida Dove (4) before Alaska. Also the trip to Australia in prime migration and rarity time must have cost him a couple of good birds.

He has 610 species, of which 52 are coded and two provisional. He's missing 67 Code 1:s and 94 Code 2:s! Seems huge.

Richard & Gaylee Dean become the first to hit 650 for the year (at least as far as I know)!
I don't have John's list, but I saw a list of some of the initial Attu sightings. Not bad out there this year, I'm thinking.

Joe

Attachments

130.9 KB · Views: 15
    614.3 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Now that John Weigel has finally some blog updates, time for a little analysis.

Still no blog updates from following periods:
March:
17.-20. California
21.-28. Arizona (Ferruginous Pygmy-Owl (3) and Black-capped Gnatcatcher(3))

April:
11.-15. Hawaii (nine code 3:s, four from pelagic trip)
16. Florida - Key West Quail-Dove (4) twitch
21.-24. Dry Tortugas, Florida (Masked Booby (3) and Bahama Mockingbird (4))
25.-26. ???
27. California
28.-29. ???
30.4. offshore cruise, California

May:
1.-2. offshore cruise, California-Oregon (Murphy's and Cook's Petrel (both 3))
4.-5. and 8.-9. Ohio, interrupted by
6. New York - Common Greenshank (3) twitch
7. Newfoundland, Canada - Black-tailed Godwit (3) twitch
10. California
11.-14. apparently a trip home to Australia
15. Arizona - Common Crane (4) twitch

I would be especially interested in the period between Dry Tortugas and California offshore cruise. Some unsuccessful twitching trips?

He has dipped at least Tamaulipas Crow (4) in Brownsville, Texas and had no time for Zenaida Dove (4) before Alaska. Also the trip to Australia in prime migration and rarity time must have cost him a couple of good birds.

He has 610 species, of which 52 are coded and two provisional. He's missing 67 Code 1:s and 94 Code 2:s! Seems huge.

I checked my text messages from John from April 25 & 26. The Red-legged Thrush showed up on the 25th while he was still in Florida. He drove to the area and tried for it early on the 26th but it was gone.

He tried for the Mexican Violetear on May 16 in San Antonio - only 20 minutes from my house but I was in Ohio! The violetear was seen early that morning, then never again. He missed it by only a couple of hours.

Laura Keene

Last edited:
Okay, all updated. The Deans are back in the Lower 48, with 654. The McQuades only added four species, but they were a Code 1, 2, 3 & 4, giving them 627. John did well with shorebirds on Attu.
He added one species from the past; don't know which it is. This time I'll let my esteemed Forum colleagues find it!
Joe

Attachments

131 KB · Views: 21
    614.3 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
He added one species from the past; don't know which it is. This time I'll let my esteemed Forum colleagues find it!
Joe

Marbled Murrelet. Nor back-added, but wrong date (27-Apr instead of 27-May).

John got 12 coded birds in Attu and Falcated Duck in Anchorage, five of which (bolded) not seen by him in 2016:
Taiga Bean Goose (3)
Falcated Duck (4)
Lesser Sand-Plover (3)
Great Knot (4)
Long-toed Stint (3)
Red-necked Stint (3)
Common Snipe (3)
Terek Sandpiper (3)
Common Sandpiper (3)
Gray-tailed Tattler (3)
Short-tailed Albatross (3)
Steller's Sea-Eagle (4)
Siberian Rubythroat (3)

So far total of 643, of which 65 coded and two provisional.
Missing 59 Code 1 and 82 Code 2.

I checked my text messages from John from April 25 & 26. The Red-legged Thrush showed up on the 25th while he was still in Florida. He drove to the area and tried for it early on the 26th but it was gone.

He tried for the Mexican Violetear on May 16 in San Antonio - only 20 minutes from my house but I was in Ohio! The violetear was seen early that morning, then never again. He missed it by only a couple of hours.

Laura Keene
Thank you!

The pain of dipping... understandable that he is not eager to blog on these.

John also posted a blog update on his Hawaiian trip (including a very good pelagic). There's a picture of a Pacific Golden Plover, but it's not on his list. Can someone inform him?

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back