• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Binocular serial numbers (1 Viewer)

planetx

Hello all

what info can be gleamed from a serial number on a Leica binocular?

the 10x42BA's I have just purchased used have the serial:1135843

The old gentleman I aquired them from is unsure what year he bought them and is frantically searching for the receipt.
Are you able to find out what year these were manufactured?

thanks

Steve

Hello all

what info can be gleamed from a serial number on a Leica binocular?

the 10x42BA's I have just purchased used have the serial:1135843

The old gentleman I aquired them from is unsure what year he bought them and is frantically searching for the receipt.
Are you able to find out what year these were manufactured?

thanks

Steve

Apart from anything else, it will possibly tell you if they're stolen?

You'd be better of asking Leica directly.

[email protected]

A

Last edited:
Okay thanks.

Certainly not stolen.

Didn't mean to imply that they may be, you asked what could be learned for the serial number.

If someone wanted to sell them to a dealer, I'd imagine that they'd check with the manufacturer that they are not registered as stolen otherwise they'd be guilty of receiving stolen goods.

If you claim for lost or stolen items as I have in the past, insurers will ask for proof of purchase and once supplied, that serial number will be registered as stolen if it ever turns up for resale.

As long as the bins are optically sound and at a price you're happy with, the age should be a minor factor but I think I would have checked first! Hypothetically, if they were registered stolen when you checked, you would have some explaining to do and at the very least, you'd lose the bins.

As far as I know, aside from the original purchase date and buyer and whether the bins are stolen or not, I doubt that manufacturers will have anything more than that to tell you, not sure if they keep maintenance / repair notes?

A

Last edited:
Had a fantastic email back from Leica UK within 30 minutes of sending.

Assembly date 1999
Now registered in my name with 12 years still remaining on the warranty and have been offered to send them in for a ‘check up and inspection’ if I so wish.
Not reported as stolen and the name I gave from the seller is indeed the original purchaser from 2002 (as expected)
Luckily they are flawless and the focus action is very smooth and not notchy.

Had a fantastic email back from Leica UK within 30 minutes of sending.

Assembly date 1999
Now registered in my name with 12 years still remaining on the warranty and have been offered to send them in for a ‘check up and inspection’ if I so wish.
Not reported as stolen and the name I gave from the seller is indeed the original purchaser from 2002 (as expected)
Luckily they are flawless and the focus action is very smooth and not notchy.
Its really neat how well they treated you and what they offered. I expected them to be a bit less wiling to work with you but im impressed.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back