• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski Habicht 8x30 w Review, comparison with Minox BV 8x42 BR (1 Viewer)

Brock, Giorgio,

The problem of eyelash oil building up on the eye lenses is the inevitable result of the short eye relief of the Habichts. The eye has to be that close to see the entire field. I've had the same experience with all three of the Habichts I've owned.

I'm surprised to hear that Giorgio likes the Orion eyecups on the Habichts. I have a number of the Orion eyecups, as well as the same eyecup in larger sizes, available from Alpine Astro and (I think) Baader Planetarium. They add about 2-3mm mm to the total length of the Habicht eyecups, which even for me, without especially deep set eyes, makes it impossible to see the entire field without pressing uncomfortably hard against the eyecup.

BTW, the Orion eyecup may seem sturdy, but the thin "hinge" at the base of the wing is very easily split, especially if they're ever folded. Nearly all of mine have eventually split even though I don't fold them.

Henry

Last edited:
The best solution I've found is to use the winged eyecups that come standard with the Nikon Prostar. They add to the diameter of the ocular but sit perfectly flush with the Habicht ocular without adding any length.

I'm going to order an extra pair from Nikon because I'm thinking there might be another Habicht (10x40) coming my way this year;).

Steve

Steve,

You must have different Nikon winged eyecups than the ones that came with my Prostar. I have the ones that stretch fit over the hard plastic rotating cups that clip onto the eyepieces. I saw a different type of Nikon "horned" eyecup in some Japanese literature which appeared to be smaller and attach directly to the eyepiece, but I was not able to obtain that one from Nikon USA.

Staying with the thread, I find that the small size Field Optics winged eyecup is a good fit on the Habicht.

Henry

Last edited:
Steve,

You must have different Nikon winged eyecups than the ones that came with my Prostar. I have the ones that stretch fit over the hard plastic rotating cups that clip onto the eyepieces. I saw a different type of Nikon "horned" eyecup in some Japanese literature which appeared to be smaller and attach directly to the eyepiece, but I was not able to obtain that one from Nikon USA.

Staying with the thread, I find that the small size Field Optics winged eyecup is a good fit on the Habicht.

Henry

Yeah mine is different. You simply remove the round eyecup and the winged eyecup attaches directly to the eyepiece. I have some of the Field Optic winged eyecups in the large size and will try to pick up some in the small size for the Habichts.

Steve

The website told me it is Orion eyecups, but as i asked for some rugged made in Japan 1.25'' eyecups, it might not be the Orion ones.
Do you have a Made in Japan written on yours Henry?
The ones i got (not Orion written in it) are comfortable and makes me loose only a few negligable % of field of view.
Is the eyelash oil issue still present with the green rubber armored Habichts (different eyecups than leather covered)?
I hope eyelash fat will not damage the optics in long term use. Any witness of this kind?

Last edited:
Giorgio,

Yes, my Orion eyecups have "Made in Japan" written at the base of the wing, right where they tend to split. There's no "Orion" trademark on them.

I do prefer the eyecups on the rubber armored Habichts, but those models also collect eyelash oil since the eye relief is the same. It's a shame that Swarovski stopped making the rubber armored 8x30 Habicht. I would be sorely tempted by one of those with modern coatings.

Henry

Last edited:
Ok, we have the same eyecups so.
So true about the 8x30 green rubbered. I saw one on ebay iirc.
I was almost tempted to get the 10x40 green rubbered just to have that greenish style instead of the leathered 8x30w.
But 8x30 won :clap:

Ok, we have the same eyecups so.
So true about the 8x30 green rubbered. I saw one on ebay iirc.
I was almost tempted to get the 10x40 green rubbered just to have that greenish style instead of the leathered 8x30w.
But 8x30 won :clap:

Any chance that green rubber replacement eyecups from the Swaro 10x40 would fit the 8x30 W?

Brock

I really have no idea.
I can't find Habichts eyecup replacements on the internet.
Can't find them neiter on Swarovski optiks site.

I bet Swaro will send a pair to you if you ask.

Steve?

Brock

Yeah, I've been wondering if the longer eyecups provided on the ribber armored versions will fit also. From looking at the parts catalog you can pull up on the Swarovski Optik site it appears the eye pieces on both versions are the same so the eyecups should interchange.

I actually tried to order a pair today but they were closed for the holiday. I plan on getting a 10x Habicht in the near future and was actually thinking about the rubber armored version....but....well to put it bluntly it's just so damn ugly compared to the leather version.

Steve

Are you Steve immuned to the "charms" (Brauque i'm not including any quarks here :bounce:) of military looking objects?
I find the green rubber more pleasant to look at.

Steve,

Only the 7x42 eyecups are longer. Even if those fit the 8x30 they will be too long to allow the full FOV to be seen. I prefer the feel of the 8x30/10x40 rubber armored eyecups because the round rim flares out instead of in, but you still need to place your eye just as close to the eye lens to see the full FOV when you use them. They don't prevent eyelash oil from being deposited on the glass.

Henry

Are you Steve immuned to the "charms" (Brauque i'm not including any quarks here :bounce:) of military looking objects?
I find the green rubber more pleasant to look at.

Giorgio

I've got three rubber armored porros (Pentax PIF, Fujinon FMTR SX, and Zeiss GAT T*) ; however, just for their classic looks I like the leather or the more "subdued" armor like on the Nikon SE series.

I do use my rubber armored much more then my other models when viewing the night sky in colder months. I often spend a couple of hours outside in freezing temps and the thick rubber armored models are much warmer on your hands.

Steve

Hi Steve
You're right about the comfort of holding rubber during winter.
Anyway, the Habichts are wonder-beauti-ful., as much for their aspect than for their optical qualities.
As i never had a look through Nikon EDGs, i sadly cannot optically compare with the real top notch.

Hi Steve
You're right about the comfort of holding rubber during winter.
Anyway, the Habichts are wonder-beauti-ful., as much for their aspect than for their optical qualities.
As i never had a look through Nikon EDGs, i sadly cannot optically compare with the real top notch.

Giorgio

I've got an EDG and it's a great bino but trust me your Habicht is also top notch.
I totally agree with you about looks of the Habichts. They are great optically and obviously very well built but if they gave out awards for best looking bino it would win hands down. Of course that's the opinion of a diehard porro lover;)

Steve

The leather Habichts 7x42 and 10x42 are the most beautiful binoculars ever made.
The green rubber armored are probably the most ugly binoculars ever made.

But that's only my opinion. :D

The leather Habichts 7x42 and 10x42 are the most beautiful binoculars ever made.
The green rubber armored are probably the most ugly binoculars ever made.

But that's only my opinion. :D

Exactly how I feel. It's not because I think rubber armor binoculars look bad, in fact I love the looks of the armored roofs,some of the armored IF porros, etc. but the Habicht look very homely in green rubber.

Steve

I guess there's no accounting for taste. I actually prefer the look and feel of the rubber armored Habichts, especially now that the front of the leatherette versions has been blinged up with a silver hawk and the large "Swarovski" printed on the axle.

While I'm at it, it's a shame Swarovski doesn't still offer the superb leather cases and protective rubber objective bumpers that used to be available for the Habichts.

I is a pity that Swarovski don't upgrade their porro line-up with new coatings, wider FOV.

Also they should bring back those beautiful leather cases. For the nylon bag they includes now they should be ashamed.

Also it would be great if the make eyecups you could use with glasses and a raincover.

But wel, you always should have your wishes. ;-)

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back