• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Eastern Poland 2016 online (GPS Guide) (1 Viewer)

Benedict Macdonald

England
Following yesterday's upload, I'm pleased to say Eastern Poland (April 2016) is now online via my website (search Ben Macdonald and go to Birds section, navigate to bottom of page). Hopefully it will make its way here in due course.

Full GPS details as always. Detailed and up to date information on finding the key resident species of eastern Poland namely:

- Hazel Grouse
- Great Spotted Eagle
- Lesser Spotted Eagle
- Great Snipe
- Pygmy Owl
- Tengmalm's Owl
- Black Woodpecker
- White-backed Woodpecker
- Three-toed Woodpecker
- Little Crake

There are admittedly dozens of eastern Poland trip reports out there. Planning for my own trip, they often infuriated me with mentions of 'the bridge at Budy' etc, 'the Barwik lek' etc, with assumption of much prior knowledge.

This report isn't groundbreaking, but will hopefully provide clear directions for anyone yet to have the wonderful experience of birding in eastern Poland, especially during the early spring period. There is particular detail on Great Spotted Eagle, a species people often seem to miss in Poland, and sections on how best to read/exploit the habitats in Bialowieza.

It also includes details on how best to see Elk and Bison, which are not hard animals but a magnificent sight and well worth incorporating into any trip.

B

Hi Ben

I was a little concerned before I clicked on the link after reading gps for GSE etc But good to see the warning you added to the notes, which all look very helpful and not too specific for possible nest locations. I been fortunate to connect with most of these in Southern Poland, with the exception of WB Woodie and GSE but will find your report very useful for Bialowieza.

(Love the book cover btw)

Thanks Deb - rest assured I've kept the GSE eagle sites vague enough that people can view the birds without disturbing nests. Glad you found it helpful. Yes, the cover took a long time to get right, rather like bringing back Dalmatian Pelicans to the Levels I would predict... B

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back