• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

From the sketchbook... (1 Viewer)

Smew sketches...

Out at Sandemar Reserve a couple of days ago. Cold, wet conditions had me wondering if I should have been better off staying in bed, then I was delighted to pick up this flock of 16 Smew. Too distant to digiscope so I stuck the zoom lens on and took this page of thumbnails before the joints started to go numb in my fingers!

Attachments

• 22smew page.jpg
    22smew page.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 218
  • 22Smew4.jpg
    22Smew4.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 209
  • 22Smew3.jpg
    22Smew3.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 186
  • 22Smew2.jpg
    22Smew2.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 190
  • 22Smew1.jpg
    22Smew1.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 191
Eiders

Eider sketches from today at Dalarö, five paintings paintings already planned for this species alone! Could sketch these all winter!
Dalarö is full of Eider at this time of year, with a lot of birds at close range, great for sketching. Nice morning there today, relaxing and sketching males only for three hours. Not a bad way to spend a morning!

Attachments

• 111Eider1.jpg
    111Eider1.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 222
  • 4eider2.jpg
    4eider2.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 210
  • 4eider3.jpg
    4eider3.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 220
Wonderful group of drawings, Alan. The little line drawing is exquisite and very reminiscent of the great doctor EAR Ennion himself. I would be delighted to have made a drawing as beautiful as this one!

Off to Dublin tomorrow for a week with my family, wont be near a computer for the duration. Would like to wish you all a Happy Christmas....

The sketchbook will go with me, looking forward to getting out on my old stomping grounds!

buzzard12 said:
Off to Dublin tomorrow for a week with my family, wont be near a computer for the duration. Would like to wish you all a Happy Christmas....

The sketchbook will go with me, looking forward to getting out on my old stomping grounds!
Merry Christmas Alan - Have a fine old time!

Dublin Sketches...

Sketches done on Bull Island, Dublin while home for the Christmas break.

Lots of posts of the birds in the area on the blog...

Attachments

• 11dunlins.jpg
    11dunlins.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 225
  • 11med.jpg
    11med.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 212
  • 11ringb.jpg
    11ringb.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 213
  • 11teal.jpg
    11teal.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 208
  • 11waders.jpg
    11waders.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 199
Last edited:
An outstanding selection of drawings, Alan - looks like you got your batteries recharged over the festive period. The r-b gull is superbly observed, it's expression is absolutely spot-on and the dunlin looks ready to simply walk off the page - brilliant! Seems peculiar that you were drawing teal and bar-t godwits on the same day as I was making studies of the same species! I think (for what it's worth) that this collection could easily (!) be put together to form a really lively larger drawing, or painting - I for one would love to see that (not putting you under pressure, or anything!). Field study of the highest order - bravo!

Have enjoyed the time spent in Ireland. Have another three pages in the sketchbok, which are here.
Wonderful place to sketch, Bull Island. Teeming with birds, literally hunndreds of them right in front of you. Really tame too. Never ending subjects.

Attachments

• 1brents.jpg
    1brents.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 188
  • 1teals.jpg
    1teals.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 185
  • 1tealsdetail.jpg
    1tealsdetail.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 201
  • 1greenshanks.jpg
    1greenshanks.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 219
  • 1greenshanksdetail.jpg
    1greenshanksdetail.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 186
Obviously a very productive holiday, Alan - beautiful work, as usual. (Do we get to see any 'finished' pieces in this thread? - he cheekily enquires - ;) )

timwootton said:
Obviously a very productive holiday, Alan - beautiful work, as usual. (Do we get to see any 'finished' pieces in this thread? - he cheekily enquires - ;) )

Soon enough Tim I hope! The weather here is bizarre at the moment and I am still able to get out sketching, 7 degrees today in Stockholm, should be about -15! Don't think it can last much longer, but am enjoying it, had 3 Arctic Redpolls today amongst 200 Mealy's and 9 Lessers, can't be bad!

Must get going soon though, I have somewhere between 25 and 30 paintings laid out already at the moment, thumbnails,compositional sketches and even dimensions decided upon, the lot. Its a lot of work and will throw myself into it soon enough, shall have a nuclear month of painting quite soon I should imagine!

Wow - sounds like someone's gonna be burning some midnight oil (I'm also extremely envious that you can be so organized). Look forward to the posts.
Weather here is a bit mad, too - all the old boys are saying how we never get snow like they used to - feet upon feet of the stuff and now all the ski resorts are having to close (not in Orkney, of course - bit low-lying for that) - but waxwing seen yesterday in the village so maybe a sign that the weather is cooling down? - he hopes!

Mealy Redpolls; Landsort; 8th January 2007

Two days ago, large flock of mixed Redpolls at feeding station, great sketching opportunity, birds constantly in front of me for 6 hours...

Attachments

• 11112.jpg
    11112.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 197
  • 11113.jpg
    11113.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 207
  • 11114.jpg
    11114.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 199
  • 11115.jpg
    11115.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 182
  • 11116.jpg
    11116.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 220
Last edited:
buzzard12 said:
Two days ago, large flock of mixed Redpolls at feeding station, great sketching opportunity, birds constantly in front of me for 6 hours...
Superb sketches Buzzard!
The song birds are for me the most difficult subject to sketch among
the Bird families.
Well done :clap:
I'm looking forward to see more....

These are simply lovely Alan. I can feel in the drawings you really getting a vibe from investigating these tricky little monkeys. Superb. Perfect. Like lot!

spizaetos said:
Superb sketches Buzzard!
The song birds are for me the most difficult subject to sketch among
the Bird families.
Well done :clap:
I'm looking forward to see more....

Same for me. I'm pretty good at larger birds, but when it comes to the song birds it's a lot harder...

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back