• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

divers? (1 Viewer)

capdegat

not sure if first pic are slav grebes or perhaps red throated divers ?
second pic looks too heavy billed for cormorant ?
thanks in advance

Attachments

• DSC_0935jpg.jpeg
    DSC_0935jpg.jpeg
    484 KB · Views: 264
  • DSC_0944jpg.jpeg
    DSC_0944jpg.jpeg
    253.5 KB · Views: 251
1. The birds in the water look like Cormorants (though maybe a Shag on the left?). The bird in flight looks like a diver but I wouldn't want to say which species.
2. This also looks like a Cormorant

Where were the pictures taken?

Second pic is definitely (Great) Cormorant, possibly with something in its bill or the bill half open.

First pic, definitely 3 Cormorants on the water and a diver sp in flight, but the bird behind the Cormorants keeps flipping when I look at it between another diver and a cormorant at a deceptive angle (facing more towards the camera than the others)... if it is a diver I think it would have to be a Red-throated on bill size/shape?

thanks for helpfull replies and it was northumberland Thanks also for some idotic comment from the resident genius /*****

thanks for helpfull replies and it was northumberland
Northumbs is a large county; what's likely at one site can be very different to another. Please give site names when asking for identifications. I can't see what your persistent, repeated objection to doing so is? Do you regard where you go birding as some sort of classified secret to stop other birders wanting to go to the same places or something? It really isn't helpful, either for yourself, or for others trying to help you.

My guess would be Stag Rocks by Bamburgh, but getting this info from the source is like getting blood out of a stone, in my past experience . . .

Maybe he doesn't want YOU to know. Speaking about any forum user in that way isn't likely to get the information you seem to think you are entitled too 8-P

If I was really keen on keeping sites secret i would'nt be asking dumb questions about id !
In future I will put the rock I'm nearest to on the details ��

Although its always better to state site location as per rules ...but in this case i dont see what the fuss is all about ... the birds are what they are regardless of where they are in the UK never mind where they are in Northumberland ... the pics show enough for i.d

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back