• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

waiting (1 Viewer)

mauricek

Hi folks. Yes I'm waiting for at least one of you to tell me that you have seen a pied flycatcher.I can't get out far enough so you have to be my eyes.
The males should arrive any minute now with the females following a few days later.Has anyone seen one yet?They love woodland nest boxes and they were one of my special targets.I miss them.

maurice

Would that God the giftie gi us
to see the birds that others see.

My apologies to Burns fans

Hi Maurice (and Wendy)

I saw my first Pied Flycatchers on April 23rd, which was the day they arrived here. We are lucky to have them breed in the same place every year using nestboxes provided for them. Several pairs have been nesting for a few weeks. They are at a lovely little place by the Long Mynd, 100% guaranteed after just a minutes walk!

I tried to photograph them yesterday but there was a lot of foliage which the camera kept focusing on, so the results were not good. But here it is anyway, just for you Maurice!

Attachments

• Pied Fly 3 sm.jpg
    Pied Fly 3 sm.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
Pied Flycatcher for MAURICEK

Hi folks. Yes I'm waiting for at least one of you to tell me that you have seen a pied flycatcher.I can't get out far enough so you have to be my eyes.
The males should arrive any minute now with the females following a few days later.Has anyone seen one yet?They love woodland nest boxes and they were one of my special targets.I miss them.

maurice

Would that God the giftie gi us
to see the birds that others see.

My apologies to Burns fans

They have been in Staffordshire for a month or more mauricek. Photo taken about 2 weeks ago.

Last edited:
Hi again.It must be me that's late ,not the birds but I'm still surprised that no one has mentioned them.Or have I missed them too?
I don't wonder that you were struggling Kezza. I have had hundreds of slides like that that I called RPO's (record purposes only)and kept until I got better ones.I think Bill M. calls them "back ups".
Nice picture Jim.Keep that one.Thank you both
maurice

Hi Maurice,

Like Wendy, I've seen many reported, for a while now to, but never see any round here. Someone here (George, I'm sure) back awhile was saying about some and I know there are some at Nagshead at Glos, Bill's ground. I really want to make the effort to get one this year as I've not seen any for a few years, the last being at the New Forest. I don't think you're that late, a lot of them came over a bit earlier this year, then there seemed to be a lull and now more are turning up, but as Bill pointed out to me last week,no doubt some of them were delayed on passage by rough weather.

When I do see one you'll know it Maurice, I promise you!

Sue.

Hi Maurice,

Can't help you with this year as I haven't been anywhere to see them but Sue is correct, they are regularly at RSPB Nagshead in the Forest of Dean.

Here's a couple of scans from slides that I took there many years back, before digital and long lenses. They're what I call 'Bankers' but maybe the perching one is a little better than that. All the same, I'd still like one as good as Jim's. Might have to make a mighty effort and get over to Nagshead.

Bill.

Attachments

• pied fly bathing 2.jpg
    pied fly bathing 2.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 36
  • pied fly in wood 2.jpg
    pied fly in wood 2.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 44
Hi Maurice and all,
We're off to RSPB Coombes Valley in the Pennines at the weekend to (hopefully) spot some Pieds and maybe a Spotted too...fingers crossed eh?
I'll let you know what we see...mind the weather forcast isn't too good but we'll enjoy it whatever!;)
Great pics everyone!:t:
Best wishes,

Hi Bill.I think I would regard the first pic as a "RPO" but I really like the second.It looks really natural in it's proper environment and so sharp from a slide.I was looking at the foliage and decided it was taken in early summer..About this time judging by the unfurling of the fern/bracken croziers at the bottom centre of your picture.
Thanks to everyone for your efforts.Real mates.

maurice

Hi Bill.I think I would regard the first pic as a "RPO" but I really like the second.It looks really natural in it's proper environment and so sharp from a slide.maurice

I quite agree with you Maurice beautiful shots, but the second one has the edge and is the more natural.

Super shots Bill. Let's hope we can get some more for you to see before long Maurice.

Sue.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back