• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Skylight filter to protect lens? (1 Viewer)

bluesinlondon

This is common practice among photographers, but I don't seem to see it being done on scopes. My EDIII has a thread so presume it can be done.

Any thoughts?

There have been a couple of threads on the subject, the consensus being (IIRC) that filters on scopes are a bad idea since even expensive ones degrade the image a little bit & cheap ones degrade it a lot.

If a UV filter enhances the sharpness of photos, it should not make it worse on a spotting scope.

Today I received a Hoya Pro1 UV DMC to use with my Nikon ED50. I reckon the cleaning will be easier and that it will protect the front lens.
(I don't use a case, but I consider wrapping the scope with the camo tape Sancho sent me)

If I detect an image deterioration with it, I'll let you know.

//L

Last edited:
Your scope operates at much higher magnifications than a even the longest supertelephoto camera lens. A protection filter in front of the objective lens almost always imparts some chromatic aberation at best (other aberations at worst!). The scopes higher magnification still may not be enough for this spurious CA to be detected naked eye, but you will see it in pics if you digiscoped.

BTW, I have no hassles cleaning the lens of my ED50. Run under the water faucet while rubbing lens gently with finger, let air dry and polish with warm breath and a kimwipe.

Hello,
as you may have seen in a prevoius thread, I've got a Kowa UV filter for my ED82 since last year. It was by that time the best compromise between cost and quality.
My former concern was to get some saltwater drops combined with sand at the beach, and when I've cleaned the filter after a trip to the coast, I realise my concern was justified. It's comforting to know that if you happen to get a scratch when carrying or wiping it (always wet, of course), the worst case scenario will be to replace the filter, for 1/20 of the scope's price.
As RJM quotes, no aberration of any type detected so far, although I haven't digiscoped with it.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back