• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

buying binoculars (1 Viewer)

kenbo

Helo everyone.
I have recently taken pu birdwatching, and now need a decent pair of bins.
I've been looking at "Optolyth touring 10x40" on ebay, never heard of these are they any good (and what should they cost) or does anyone have other sugestions.

Thanks Kenbo.

Hi Kenbo and a warm welcome to you from the entire staff here at BirdForum :t:

You'll get more feedback on your question if you ask it in the Binocular section of the Forum which can be found on the main Forum tab.

Welcome to Birdforum! I am sure you will find lots to interest you here, and I hope that you enjoy your visits.

... or does anyone have other sugestions.

Hello and a warm welcome to this fascinating world.

It'd be interesting to have a rough idea of your budget allowance to make a useful suggestion.

Anyway, for the US$ 300,- range I'd say the best you can get are the Nikon Monarch, either 8x or 10x42.

Hello and a warm welcome to this fascinating world.

It'd be interesting to have a rough idea of your budget allowance to make a useful suggestion.

Anyway, for the US$ 300,- range I'd say the best you can get are the Nikon Monarch, either 8x or 10x42.

other than you would pay £300 i.e. around $500 for them here, the after sales service would be appaling to non existant and you could get a hell of a lot better bin for the money over here from different manufacturers.
as far as nikon are concerned the exchange rate of the pound to any other currency is 1 to 1

other than you would pay £300 i.e. around $500 for them here, the after sales service would be appaling to non existant and you could get a hell of a lot better bin for the money over here from different manufacturers.
as far as nikon are concerned the exchange rate of the pound to any other currency is 1 to 1

Well, it's true also here that Nikon doesn't seem to be overly interested in making huge sales. The same 10x42 can be purchased locally for an equivalent to US$ 680,- (!!) But fortunately direct import from e.g. US is a very easy option and the taxes involved are pretty reasonable I'd say. I don't know how this is overseas, but anyway all these are plain commercial issues, nothing to do with Nikon optics quality. I've had several chances on the field to compare my Monarch with Leica, Leupold, Swaros and things like that and honestly can still afford the feeling to have got far more than my fellows for my pennies.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back