• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

daudinii and François Marie Daudin (1774-1804) (1 Viewer)

Taphrospilus

Small enhancement to HBW Alive entry daudinii of today François Marie Daudin (1774-1804).

I tried to trace where to find daudinii and found it here. So I checked Cuvier, Règ. An. I. p. 442 here. There it is written without ii ending as M. Daudin, Vaill. which is to find here. From all that I agree it is a synonym to Merops philippinus.

The only thing what I think is not correct is the year of death. According here page 47 Daudin died 8. Frimaire XII which is 30. November 1803 in Paris (10th arrondissement).

Apart from that he has some dedications in reptiles.

Last edited:
I tried to trace where to find daudinii and found it here.
But the name is not used as valid there, it is just cited as a junior synonym, and as a consequence it has no nomenclatural availability. (At least not unless it was adopted [treated as valid and as dating from this publication] by a subsequent author before 1961.)
I'm quite unclear why Merops Daudin Cuvier 1829 is not available, on the other hand. (With "Merops daudinii Kuhl" and "Merops daudini Swinhoe" both incorrect subsequent spellings, lacking nomenclatural standing.)

Ok, François Marie Daudin apparently died on the 30th November 1803 (if it´s his birth cerificate, of course, however I´ve got no reason to suspect otherwise ;)) , but when was he born?

French Wiki (here) says: "né le 25 mars 1776" AND (on the same page!?) "Naissance: 25 mars 1774"? But note the bottom reference: "Roger Bour, François Marie Daudin (29 août 1776-30 novembre 1803), auteur de l' Histoire naturelle ...,". Doesn´t that say he was born 29th of August 1776?

The English Wiki (here) goes for: "25 March 1776 – 30 November 1803", but the German ditto (here) states: "* 25. März 1774 in Paris; † 30. November 1803 ebenda" ... and so on. The confusion goes on, on all other Wiki-pages; either 1774 or 1776 vs 1803 and/or 1804. Mixed in all combinations.

Looks like a mess!

Martin, you didn´t happened to find a birth certificate as well?
---

Last edited:
I suspect 1803 vs. 1804 might originate in a problem of date conversion. In the French Republican calendar, years started on 1 vendémiaire, which was our 22 September (the day of autumn equinox). If Daudin died in frimaire an XII, this was in 1803, but on a Republican year which was mostly in 1804. ...And might possibly have been converted to "1804" by someone who would not have taken the day into account when doing the year conversion.

Note also, on the English Wikipedia, end of the introductory paragraph: "She died of tuberculosis in early 1804, and he followed shortly thereafter". But all sources indicate that he died in late Nov, and the book linked by Mark and the French Wikipedia both suggest she had died a month earlier: this is of course not "early" in any Gregorian year. But this was "early" in Republican years -- "early 1804" might have been a careless transposition of "early Year XII".

But note the bottom reference: "Roger Bour, François Marie Daudin (29 août 1776-30 novembre 1803), auteur de l' Histoire naturelle ...,". Doesn´t that say he was born 29th of August 1776?
This is what it says. I haven't seen this work, but there is a sequel that can be found online:
Bour R. 2014. Compléments et rectificatifs à la biographie de François Daudin. Alytes 31:41-45. [pdf]​
...which at least looks quite well documented. Therein, he quotes a letter by Louis Dufresne to Lacépède (and that Dufresne transcribed in his journal), dated 4 pluviôse an XII, that was about the sale of Daudin's collections after his dead. Based on this letter, Daudin must have been dead (probably for some time) by late Jan 1804.

Martin, you didn´t happened to find a birth certificate as well?
Birth certificate [here], scan #52: 29 août 1776.

Well done guys!

This would mean ... if I got it right(!?):

daudinii/daudini
● in the bee-eater "Merops Daudinii" alt. "M. [Merops] Daudini" both KUHL 1820, here [Note the different spellings, double vs single endings: Daudinii on page 2, but Daudini on page 19], ex Levaillant's "Le Guêpier Daudin" (1807) … later a k a "Merops Daudin" (Cuvier 1829) and (again as) "Merops daudini" (Swinhoe 1871) etc. etc. [syn. Merops philippinus LINNAEUS 1767]
= the French Naturalist François Marie Daudin (1776-1803)

In today's calendar: Born 29 August 1776 … and died 30 November 1803.

A true team effort!
---

Last edited:
daudinii/daudini
On top of the invalid Merops daudinii/daudini KUHL 1820* this François Marie Daudin (no hyphen, which is quite often used) or simply François Daudin** (as he was normally called) is apparently also commemorated in:

● the valid (however extinct) Daudin's Giant Tortoise (Dipsochelys) Aldabrachelys gigantea daudinii DUMÉRIL & BIBRON 1835 (here, no outspoken dedication) as "La Torture de Daudin. Testudo Daudinii"

If of any interest ... even if not a bird. ;)

Björn

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*Levaillant's "Le Guêpier Daudin", of 1807, didn´t incl. any scientific name.
**Not to be confused with Jacques "Jack" Daudin, remembered in the Gecko Gonatodes daudini POWELL & HENDERSSON 2005.
---

Last edited:
And of course Daudin in The Eponym Dictionary of Reptiles (not scientific but in popular names).

Not mentioned there Colobus Daudini here a synonym to Bachia flavescens and Hyla daudini a synonym for Hypsiboas boans.

I am not sure about Rana daudini here (possibly Common parsley frog (Pelodytes punctatus)) or Tupinambidibus Daudini here.

But of course not relevant for a birdforum.

Last edited:
...I'm quite unclear why Merops Daudin Cuvier 1829 is not available, on the other hand. (With "Merops daudinii Kuhl" and "Merops daudini Swinhoe" both incorrect subsequent spellings, lacking nomenclatural standing.)
How is Kuhl's daudinii alt. daudini 1820 "incorrect subsequent spellings" of Cuvier's daudin 1829?

Am I missing something?

How is Kuhl's daudinii alt. daudini 1820 "incorrect subsequent spellings" of Cuvier's daudin 1829?

Am I missing something?
No I was too fast and misinterpreted it. Kuhl's name seems to be the earliest published one. Sorry about the confusion.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back