• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Chris's Mammals of 2012 list (1 Viewer)

chris butterworth

aka The Person Named Above
January 1. Champagne-Ardennes, Northeast France.

Back to Annettes parents for Christmas and the New Year. The following were picked up doing my New Years Day Bash ( except for the Martin which didn't turn up until 2215 hrs. )

1 Red Fox
2 Beech Martin
3 Red Squirrel
4 Brown rat
5 Eur. Rabbit
6 Brown Hare
7 Roe deer
8 Fallow Deer
9 Wild Boar

Not a bad haul for the first day - but most are extremely common here so I was expecting them.

Chris

January 7. Hoylake Langfields, Wirral

10 Grey Squirrel
11 Water Vole

Red Rocks, Wirral

12 Grey Seal

The Squirrel and Seal were to be expected but Water Vole are extremely scarce on the Langfields. I only picked this one up by hearing the 'plop' and seeing it swimming off down the Birket.

Chris

January 10, West Kirby

13 Wood Mouse

Watched climbing over the top of the shed door. At least it had'nt been eating the hibernating Small Tortoiseshell and Peacock butterflies this time.

Chris

January 13, Gilroy NP.

14 Stoat
15 Eur. Mole

The Stoat was watched bounding through tall grass. Didn't know they could jump that high! The Mole, meanwhile, was just hills being pushed up ( if you can count Bats by their call you can count Moles by seeing moving Molehills :C )

Chris

March 13, Haha-jima, Ogasawara Is, Japan.

15 Bonin Flying Fox
16 Bonin Pipistrelle

Just 2 species of bat to 'drive the list forward'. Thankfully they both count as "lifers" owing to the fact I didn't record the Fruit Bat by species last time I was here and the Pip was ID'd with my bat detector ( that I had on the table, during dinner :-O )

Chris

March 15, Ferry between Ogasawara's and Tokyo.

Stunning day for ceteceans today with close enough views of the Brydes Whale to make out the 3 ridges down it's head ( unlike the single one of other Balaenoptera sp. )

18 Bryde's Whale, Baleanoptera edeni. Down to c.1 km.
19 Short-finned Pilot Whale
20 Melon-headed Whale

There was a mixed school of about 500 containing both species travelling on an opposite course to the ferry making the water 'boil'. Stunning sight, particularly as I logged my first Melonhead only last year. Surprising dearth of 'proper' dolphins though.

Chris

March 16, Tokyo area.

21 Japanese Hare ( expected )
22 Japanese Squirrel ( also expected )
23 Sika Deer ( I wasnt expecting to find a lage mammal so close to Tokyo but there were 6 at the back of one of the ponds in Shinobazu-no-ike. Introductions? )

Chris

March 18, Okinawa.

21 House Shrew
22 Ryukyu Flying Fox
23 Okinawa Least Horshoe Bat Rhinolophus pumilus
24 Japanese Large-footed Bat Myotis macrodactylus
25 Yambaru Whiskered Bat M. yambaensis
26 Japanese Pipistrelle
27 Japanese Serotine
28 Japanese Giant Flying Squirrel

Yet again the trusty bat detector turns up some 'lifers'. I wonder how many species 'got away' when I didn't have one? I just need a world wide 'Bat vocalisations' guide now :-O.

Chris

April 20, Garden, Wirral.

33 Eur. Hedgehog.
I was getting worried, it's far too late in the year to get your first Hedgehog.
34 Common Pipistrelle.
Much the same as Hedgehog. Is it me, or the weather?

Chris

April 23 / 24, Champagne - Ardennes, Northeast France.

35 Siberian Chipmunk ( I know, it's an intro but still cracking little animals. )
36 Common Hamster ( It was barely light when I was starting out this morning. Came across one scuttling acros a well beaten track across a field. )
37 Northern Muskrat ( Another intro. )
38 Garden Dormouse ( Lived up to it's name. 3 on the bird feeders in Annettes parents garden. Food for the Beech Martins? )
39 Northern Bat ( Good old bat detector strikes again ).
40 Large Mouse-eared Bat ( " )
41 Daubenton's Bat ( There were also Common Pipistrelle flying around. No Long-ears though )
42 Yellow-necked Mouse ( Another bird feeder visitor. )

Brilliant few days, lots of birds, mammals, food and company. Life isn't too bad at times.

Chris

May 10, West Kirby, Wirral

43 Noctule

Finally able to add another species ( the list had stalled for a bit due to the curse of the amateur naturalist - work ). There were at least 15 flying around the top of the hill by my house last night. The largest number I've seen there.

Chris

May 15, New York, USA.

44 Black Rat ( I'd almost forgotten how different they are from Brown Rat. Nice animal. )
45 Common Racoon
46 Eastern Chipmunk
47 Muskrat
48 Possum
49 White-tailed Deer ( a bit of a surprise to find a deer wandering around Jamaica Bay! )

Chris

14 - 20 June. Vancouver, BC, Canada

51 North American Porcupine
52 Mountain Beaver
53 North American Beaver
54 Eastern Fox Squirrel
55 Douglas Squirrel
56 Pine Squirrel
57 Yellow-bellied Marmot
58 Cascades Golden-mantled Ground Squirrel
59 Yellow Pine Chipmunk
60 Least Chipmunk
61 Townsend's Chipmunk
62 Mountain Cottontail
63 White-tailed Jack Rabbit
64 Coyote
[ 65 Grey Wolf - captive animals on Grouse Mountain ]
66 American Black Bear
67 American Mink
68 American Badger
69 Northern River Otter
70 Sea Otter
71 Western Spotted Skunk
72 Striped Skunk
73 Wapiti
74 Mule Deer
75 Northern Fur-Seal
76 Steller's Sealion
77 California Sealion

Chris

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back