• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Shetland autumn rarity thread (1 Viewer)

Out Skerries

Out Skerries, or Skerries for short, is made up of several small islands to the north east of Whalsay. The three main islands of Housay, Bruray and Grunay have all been inhabited but the latter isn't any longer. There has been a history of active birding on the islands since the late 1960s, and resident birders for much of that time but not at present. Bobby Tulloch and Bill Oddie both made several visits to Skerries.

The relative isolation of the islands and position at the eastern limits of Shetland make them a good site for finding Siberian rarities. A few American birds have been seen over the years, including most notably an Ovenbird, but it does less well for them than many other Shetland islands.

There are no trees on Skerries other than small ones in gardens. This has pros and cons for the rarity finder. The isles punch well above their weight for Lanceys and PGTips, but regular species on Shetland like Golden Oriole haven't been recorded and the first Firecrest was only last year. Freshwater is restricted to a single small brackish pool on Bruray and one on Grunay.

These days coverage on the isles come from Edwin Tait when he is resident rather than in Lerwick, two or three visiting birders / groups in the autumn and Shetland birders day tripping when there hasn't been much coverage. It is possible to day trip from mainland Shetland on Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

Bressay

Bressay as a reporting area within Shetland also includes Noss, the island off its east coast with steep cliffs and seabird colonies. This makes Bressay unique in terms of this 'competition' as there is a split in coverage; whilst the seasonal wardens are on site Noss is the main source of records but in the second half of the period the Bressay 'mainland' gets more coverage. As it is only a short and frequent ferry service from Lerwick most years see some visiting crews spend some time on Bressay.

With regard to Noss given its location and lack of cover migrants can turn up just about anywhere. On Bressay there is a small plantation at Gorie that has produced in the past, and plenty of gardens on the east side of the island that can turn stuff up. Recent autumn rarities have included Black-faced Bunting and Paddyfield Warbler, whilst there was a Lesser Kestrel on Noss in spring a couple of years back.

If anybody heading up in the next few weeks is a runner the only parkrun on Shetland takes place on Bressay, starting just up from the ferry slip at 9am every Saturday.

27 August

Mainland

Arctic Warbler - National rarity

Unst

Rosy Starling - Shetland rarity

This is a juvenile so not one previously on Unst.

I am assuming the Gyr on Mainland last week is the presumed escapee on Fair Isle and confirmed escapee on Unst, so not including it. I am continuing to give the Hooded Merganser the benefit of the doubt, but can see why people wouldn't.

Last edited:
31 August

Mainland

Arctic Warbler - national rarity
Citrine Wagtail - Scottish rarity

Out Skerries

Booted Warbler - national rarity

Totals at month end to follow later.

31 August (II)

Fair Isle

Greenish Warbler - Scottish rarity

Up the thread I referred to Greenish as a Shetland rarity, it isn't it's a Scottish rarity which can be locally assessed in Shetland.

August cumulative totals

Mainland 3 2 2
Fair Isle 2 1 2
Unst 1 1 1
Bressay 1 0 1
Out Skerries 1 0 0
Yell 0 0 2
Whalsay 0 0 1

With no scores for Fetlar, Foula and more predictably Papa Stour. The top three isn't a great surprise.

As previously stated these totals included the Hooded Merganser (Mainland and Bressay) but exclude the Gyr (Fair Isle, Unst and Mainland).

1 September

I read the way news was broadcast to suggest the Greenish Warbler on Fair Isle today was a new bird. Anyone know either way?

Otherwise no scoring as far as I am aware, save an old report of a Snowy Owl on Mainland which I would want to see firmed up to include.

3 September

Yell

Mainland

Melodious Warbler - Scottish rarity

This is one of the anomalies of this competition, as Melodious are much more scarce on Shetland than Arctic Warblers.

5 September

Fair Isle

Lanceolated Warbler - National Rarity
Arctic Warbler - National Rarity

Unless news breaks late in the day two without reply from Fair Isle today.

I am on a train home from an Arctic Monkeys gig but I think today’s scoring birds are a new Arctic Warbler on Fair Isle, an Ortolan there and two Blyth’s Reed Warblers in Unst.

Will tart this up tomorrow. Any corrections welcome.

Last edited:
7 September

Foula

White-throated Sparrow - national rarity

Fair Isle

Quite possible that there have been more than 3 Arctic Warblers through Fair Isle this week. Foula off the mark with a bang after apparently having been quiet so far this autumn with a Spotted Crake best until recently.

There’s been minimum of 3 Arctic Warblers on Fair Isle and a Pallid Harrier today; the isle is having a good early autumn

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back