• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hi anyone in aus (1 Viewer)

guzzi09

Hi I'm new to birding and the birdform. Ive been looking at the Aus threads but there hasn't been one for a while so I decided to start one. I'm in Geelong and I've found some New Holland Honeyeaters and also found a Red-Rumped Parrot came for a drink that I was able to get a photo of with my first digital camera.
John
B :)

Hi John. You'll get a good start to birding around Geelong - there's some nice spots between the You Yangs and Balyang Sanctuary for a start. Welcome aboard!

Hi John
I'm in Victor Harbor S.A and not new to Oz, having arrived here from UK in 1970.
Don't know much about Geelong,except they have a good AFL team currently.We have plenty of New Holland Honey Eaters in S.A also.

Hi I'm new to birding and the birdform. Ive been looking at the Aus threads but there hasn't been one for a while so I decided to start one. I'm in Geelong and I've found some New Holland Honeyeaters and also found a Red-Rumped Parrot came for a drink that I was able to get a photo of with my first digital camera.
John
B :)

Hi Guzzi09,

I'm not in Aus but my brother and his family recently moved to Seaford, Nr Adelaide, S.A., they live right on the coast and have sent me several photo's of the birds they see around there, they hav'nt had chance to explore to much as yet but i've told them about this forum and hopefully they will get onto it soon, there seems to be a lack of threads from Aus and i'm looking forward to getting out there but alas its a good year away yet.

good luck with your birding

Chris.

www.westportlake.blogspot.com

Hi John, I'm another newbie to the forum, I hope you enjoy the bird photography. I' m trying photographing birds too, but it takes a bit of patience, eventually I get something good/useable. Sometimes, a really good shot.
Cheers

Welcome to the forum, another Aussie here (obviously) :p Great work on getting a photo of the red-rumped, they can be shy sometimes. Best of luck with your geelong birding

Morning John, I am in Aust too, in SW Qld right out in the outback. We have a fantastic lot of birds here at the moment with lots of them breeding. Ducklings everywhere, baby egrets and tens of thousands of pelicans setting up their rookery again this year.

Australia is so lucky because of the diverse country that we have. There are so many birds only found in their own particular area that you have to travel to see them.

Cheers Calenso

great!! we must get more Aussies into birding and onto this forum!! great to see quite a few on here already and newbies arriving!! cookie99 great to see a First Australian's own flag on this page...really moving!! be interested to know if you can get the permit to go into the Western Treatment Plant-let us birdforum people know if you upload any pics...would be great to see the birds that frequent there...Jodie

hey calenso

wow...just checked out your pics on the Kilcowera Station blog!! the landscape is amazing...and those pelicans!! my daughter(10 yrs) was amazed!! and me too... nice frog pics too...Jodie

Hi to everyone, im in the Frankston area in Vic and always looking for new places to try and get some good photos, particularly of raptors but im not fussy .So if anyone has any suggestions and or tips it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers Mike

HAPPY TWITCHING B :)

Hi Birders,
I am also new to this forum and just wanted to drop a line and introduce myself.
I live in Stanthorpe, Queensland and am a fairly active birder. I bird around Girraween National Park and Sundown National Park a lot as well as other areas locally.
I have recently decided to spice up my birding a bit by challenging myself to a Big Year restricted to the South East corner of Queensland. I have given myself a few rules to follow eg. must see the bird not just calls, must be able to positively identify it and not rely on previous knowledge and jizz, must be alive and free flying etc.
This is to challenge myself to see if I can add new species to my life list as well as refreshing my passion for birdwatching.
Ok, enough waffling. I hope to get to know more of you here as time progresses.
cheers
Glenn McRae

Hi

Welcome to BF you'll enjoy the experience.
We are outside Hervey Bay in Queensland and the birding choices here are great from shorebirds, raptors (the Maryborough tip is a hotspot) and sub tropical rainforest and open woodland.
If you're up this way feel free to give us an email
Cliff

Just joined today. See some other Queenslanders. Anyone in the far north with tropical birds? Love the pics on forum and the short vids.

I reckon there's a fair few from up north, so no problem with that. We just need more from South Aus :p

Well it'll be great to see posts from all over Aus as it is so diverse. Is it freezing doen in SA now? Wehave perfect weather at the moment. Sun, light breeze and all the birds are chirping in the rainforest. The sun is filtered through the canopy and the light beams are sparkling on the damp leaves as we had a sun shower this morning. Ahhhhhhhhhh! Good to be alive!

Today it's maxed out at around 9degrees, and we just had a thunderstorm and a downpour to rival the tropics. The backyard flooded, thanks to all the water flowing down from the neighbours place, but we're on the side of a hill so fortunately it keeps flowing down and doesn't flood the house, just the garden. So not much of a day for birdwatching. Sounds quite pleasent for you though :p

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back