• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Seemingly the bird of the moment.. (2 Viewers)

I hope people do like the style of the latest pic as I've got quite a few I'd like to do. Been thinking of maybe separating the different medias a bit more and then using the mountboard to 'frame' them individually within the actual frame

I struck me this style would make a really nifty limited edition print if you did about 10 prints of the orginal painting, then drew a few of the sketches on each one

very very beautiful,i like it so much

i understand 50 % from the writings ,but my eye`s are good ,smile

friendly greetings Gaby

Hi Ads,

I'm a new member of the forum and really happy to be here. Really nice work in your thread. Look forward to seeing more!

I struck me this style would make a really nifty limited edition print if you did about 10 prints of the orginal painting, then drew a few of the sketches on each one
this is a great idea....over here that is called remarque, putting an original sketch on the print....you could print it all but one of the birds leaving a space and do that sketch live, keep a small edition,....if you have a market for your work already, it should be a good seller, and a series is always collectible...( I used to work in a big time gallery and these kind of print sketch combos sold for thousands, these artists's original work was 25K -100K so it let a lot more people have the work....and say I have an original so and so...

That is an intruiging idea.....I like the sound of it alot, could be something quite different. Now just gotta find that market...!! ;)

Managed to nip into Hants (shudder!!;)) last Saturday and see the Daurian Shrike that was showing intermittently in the drizzle. Nice bird - haven't seen one in UK since '93 so was a welcome sight...just a shame it didn't really change its' position much.....

Daurian Shrike (1) (Large).jpgDaurian Shrike (Large).jpg

Last edited:
Very nicely done! And a nice variety of head positions, even if the bird didn't shift its overall location much. I'm still at the stage where I hope the subject doesn't move too much...!

Thanks Matty, John - some of the heads work better than others....! But it still would've been nice to've seen it from the back...it just sat facing the wind, not even a profile!

Adam,
A masterful set of field sketches as usual. The fact that shrikes do sit around a bit makes 'em a fave subject of mine, but I only see them on foreign trips! Great proportions, that chunky bill, big eye and an array of neatly contrasting plumages make them irresistable. Everything's down to a T here.

Can I ask what pencil and paper you're using? There's some lovely neat lines here. Bit like asking what cue Jimmy White uses and then buying it and expecting the same results, mind!

Cheers

Russ

Hey Russ

Cheers, yep shrikes are good models and are fab birds to watch anyways! Think I only used a B for these....sometimes depends which I just grab so I tend to vary between B-3B!! The paper is a bit crap as it crinkles when wettened but it's in a nice big sketchbook that was only about a tenner from Sussex Stationers so I can live with that

gorgeous shrikes and the same pattern as on previous sheets on here- all brilliant, just one crossed out to give us all hope and avoid the blasphemy of perfection

maybe that could become your distinctive mark if you do them prints- five zingers and always one little crossed out one

ha ha! There's always one that just won't look right...some people just leave them be...me, well they just p*ss me off so out comes the heavy scribble!

ha ha! There's always one that just won't look right...some people just leave them be...me, well they just p*ss me off so out comes the heavy scribble!

Ha! heavy scribble is all I'm ever left with when I attempt a drawing!

I reckon if I managed one as good as your scribbled-out efforts I'd probably frame it!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back