• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Where are current 8x30 II made ? (1 Viewer)

maico

Where are current 8x30 E II made ?

I noticed the Nikon 100th anniversary grey models say 'made in Japan' on the back spindle.

Nikon equipment just marked 'Japan' is generally made in Thailand, China or Malaysia these days.

Attachments

• product_spec_slide04.jpg
    product_spec_slide04.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 232
  • product_spec_slide01.jpg
    product_spec_slide01.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 220
  • product_spec_slide02.jpg
    product_spec_slide02.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 258
Last edited:
I noticed the Nikon 100th anniversary grey models say 'made in Japan' on the back spindle.

Nikon equipment just marked 'Japan' is generally made in Thailand, China or Malaysia these days.

Specifically limiting it to Nikon binoculars and not "Nikon equipment," this is still a "general" statement that takes in a lot of ground considering all the different binoculars Nikon makes and has made for them. These days Nikon seems to make them in Japan and China.

My 8x42 Monarch HG says it is made in Japan as is my 10x32 EDG. My Monarch 7 8x30 binocular, one of Nikon's high quality mid-priced binoculars clearly says, under the left objective tube next to the hinge, that it is "MADE IN CHINA."

Bob

Last edited:
So where are the black 8x30 EII made ? Some just say 'Japan' on the rear spindle. I have a Nikon MB-D15 battery grip which says 'Nikon Japan' on the outside.The made in china sticker is inside. My 17-55 f2.8 lens, on the other hand, is engraved 'made in Japan'.

Last edited:
So where are the black 8x30 EII made ? Some just say 'Japan' on the rear spindle. I have a Nikon MB-D15 battery grip which says 'Nikon Japan' on the outside.The made in china sticker is inside. My 17-55 f2.8 lens, on the other hand, is engraved 'made in Japan'.

I have 3 different Black EIIs. An 8x30 that I got in 2001. A 10x35 that I got in 2006 - a refurbished one; and an 8x30 that I got in 2010. They all have printed on the top of the spindle one word: "Japan."

And guess what? I also have all three of Nikon's Porro Prism SEs which I got intermittently between 2004 and 2010 and they all say only "Japan" on the top of their Spindles.

Are you alleging that because the very few 100th Year Anniversary Nikon 8x30 EII Edition Binoculars have "Made in Japan" printed on the top of their spindles that all the EIIs and SEs sold by Nikon since they came out in 1996 or so - up to the present time (arguably the best Porro prism binoculars that were ever made) were not been made in Japan because they don't have "Made in Japan" printed on the tops of their Spindles?

If so, say so.

Bob

All SE were made in Japan AFAIK. Most pro-grade lenses and optics are currently made in Japan.There has been a switch over policy though. All Nikon DSLR apart from the flagship D5 are now made in Thailand and the lower models China, as are most lenses.

What does the current 8x30 box say or country of origin paperwork, anyone got one ?

It's possible that old products may just say Japan because when they first came out there was no distinction to be made. Virtually everything, regardless of cost, branded Nikon came from Japan.

Holger Merlitz's photo

Attachments

• etikett2.jpg
    etikett2.jpg
    320.9 KB · Views: 223
Last edited:
Maico,

I checked the boxes I have for my Nikon 8x32 SE and for the newer one of my 8x30 EIIs and they say that the binoculars are made in Japan and their cases are made in China. I don't have the box for my older 8x30 EII which I got in 2001. Everything that came with the 8x30 Monarch 7 says it was made in China. The box for my Monarch 8x42 HG says that the binocular is made in Japan and the case is made in China.

Hope this helps.

Bob

Last edited:
Hi,

two more data points: my black 8x30 E2 bought new 2 years ago says Japan on the instrument and Binoculars made in Japan on the packaging. My pretty old SE 10x42 with a 4 digit serial number (how old might that be?) says Japan only too.

So we can safely disregard the theory that only instruments labeled Made in Japan on the instrument itself were actually made in Japan...

Joachim

I think that we can safely say that all of the E2S were/are made in Japan. Since no one has ever produced a single piece of evidence to the contrary. Mine certainly were. If only I hadn't had to sell them to pay for my HGLs🙂

Where did you get that information.

edit: My 6x15M CF bins were produced as part of their 80th Anniversary celebration. The bins are marked Japan, the box shows it was Made In Japan and literature indicates it was Printed in Japan. I suspect the three country of origin labels mean the same thing.

Perhaps the more important question is what does the country of origin label tell us about the binoculars. Is 50%, 75% or 100% of it's content from Japan? How much is from Nikon?

Last edited:
Labeling laws differ among countries. In the USA we have "Made in XXX" labels mandatory for many products, so those labels may sometimes be added just for this market. For example, the Nikon Fieldscope 50ED and many Nikon bins are prominently and permanently labeled "Nikon Vision, Japan" which is just the name of the company, not the country of origin, but is easily mistaken for such (and probably, Nikon is just as happy if it is!). For the USA market, those products also carry a small, removable, and comparatively inconspicuous "Made in China" label to satisfy the law. I imagine Nikon may leave that label off in some other markets.

--AP

Maico:

Here is a list of current Nikon binocular models, that are made in Japan, from the Nikon sites.

WX, EDG, Premier LXL, Astrolux, Prostar, StabilEyes, Monarch HG, EII.

You seem to have a some questions about this, but here it is.

This list may also include some of those micro compacts, that are not included.

Enjoy, they are all great optics.

Jerry

Where did you get that information.

edit: My 6x15M CF bins were produced as part of their 80th Anniversary celebration. The bins are marked Japan, the box shows it was Made In Japan and literature indicates it was Printed in Japan. I suspect the three country of origin labels mean the same thing.

Perhaps the more important question is what does the country of origin label tell us about the binoculars. Is 50%, 75% or 100% of it's content from Japan? How much is from Nikon?

The corporate name of Nikon can be found as 'Nikon Japan', 'Nikon Corp Japan' and 'Nikon Corporation Japan' etc.
I personally have not had a Nikon item through my hands that then doesn't have the additional 'made in label' somewhere on the item.
My D7200 camera

Attachments

• IMG_2440-3.jpg
    IMG_2440-3.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 181
  • IMG_2436-2.jpg
    IMG_2436-2.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 170
  • IMG_2438-3.jpg
    IMG_2438-3.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 166
Last edited:
I have owned first generation EIIs and their box labeling was identical to my last generation EIIs; same with SEs.

The *real* mystery, and worthy of yet another thread, is the meaning of "AM" on the front spindle of every EII ever made, including the 100th Anniversary units. "Another Manufacturer" is my favorite theory.

:)

I have owned first generation EIIs and their box labeling was identical to my last generation EIIs; same with SEs.

The *real* mystery, and worthy of yet another thread, is the meaning of "AM" on the front spindle of every EII ever made, including the 100th Anniversary units. "Another Manufacturer" is my favorite theory.

:)

That is as big a mystery as what the number "33" means on the bottles of Rolling Rock Beer.:smoke::h?:

http://www.11points.com/Food-Drink/11_Theories_About_the_Mysterious_'33'_On_Rolling_Rock_Bottles

Bob

The corporate name of Nikon can be found as 'Nikon Japan', 'Nikon Corp Japan' and 'Nikon Corporation Japan' etc.
I personally have not had a Nikon item through my hands that then doesn't have the additional 'made in label' somewhere on the item.
My D7200 camera
That's not much support for equating a "Japan" label with being manufactured in Malaysia or some other country.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back