• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Coney Meadow and Adjoining Areas (5 Viewers)

Further news from the past few days:

My first Redpolls (5) and Snipe of the autumn on Friday over Jacob's Ladder and near Egg Lane, respectively.

Small flocks of Siskins widespread.

Numerous Redwings and smaller numbers of Fieldfares (including a flock of 17).

Yelbowhammer over Egg Lane.

Female Mandarin on river at Hawford this morning.

Just one Chiffchaff seen - near Moat Farm on Friday.

Ravens, Meadow Pipits, Greylags over Coney and Hawford, Canada Geese, Grey Herons, Treecreepers, Coal Tits, Skylarks (some singing), Buzzards, Kestrel, Sparrowhawks, Linnets, Mistle Thrushes, Green and Great Spotted Woodpeckers, Kingfishers, Grey Wagtails.

100+ Pied Wagtails roosted at Coney this evening plus a few Starlings. Water Rail called.

4 white wagtails in the hedge below Linacre Bridge on Wed morning, stayed for a few minutes then flew south towards the farm. Thought they were pieds when flying over and wouldn't have looked had they not landed so close

Little Grebe on the river at Hawford this morning.
Coot on Tapenhall pool.
Tufted Duck at Mildenham.
Female Mandarin on the canal at Porter's Mill yesterday morning.
Yellowhammer over near Salwarpe yesterday.
2 Little Owls at Linacres paddocks on Friday morning.
Redpolls and Siskins overhead plus Meadow Pipits, Fieldfares and Redwings.
Chiffchaff near Salwarpe Church this afternoon. Blackcap calling from hedge in Coney yesterday.
Kestrels, Buzzards, Coal Tits, Mistle Thrushes, Linnets, Skylarks, Water Rail heard, Grey Wagtails, Cormorants, Grey Herons etc.

Tany Owls vocal around Droitwich Woods last week -early mornings.

Male Brambling in Salwarpe churchyard still this morning.

Female Mandarin on Tapenhall pool and drake Tufted on small pool between Chatley and Hawford.

Further species recorded this weekend:

Chiffchaff in plantation just west of Salwarpe this morning
Yellowhammer over near Jacob's Ladder on Friday
Siskins over Tapenhall yesterday and over Salwarpe this morning
Water Rails along the canal near Mildenham yesterday and at Coney reedbed this morning
Flocks of Fieldfares and Redwings widespread
Grey Wagtails, Cormorants, Grey Herons, Skylarks, Meadow Pipits, Reed Buntings, Buzzards, Kestrels, Bullfinches, Nuthatches, Coal Tits, Mistle Thrushes, Great Spot and Green Woodpeckers, Jays, Ravens, Goldcrests, etc.

A Woodcock flushed from a scrubby area of Coney Meadow this morning.
A Coot was on Tapenhall pool.
2 Blackcaps near Hawford lock yesterday were probably freshly arrived wintering birds.
Tufted drake yesterday on small pool between Chatley and Hawford.

3 Snipe flew out of Coney reedbed on Sunday evening at dusk. A few Starlings and Pied Wags roosted. Small flocks of Meadow Pipits and winter thrushes over. On Saturday, a few small flocks of Siskins - e.g. 3 over Salwarpe churchyard.

Little Grebe, Coot and Water Rail at Tapenhall pool this morning.
Drake Tufted Duck on small pool between Chatley and Hawford.
Snipe flew from the reedbed at Coney this evening.
Yellowhammer over Coney yesterday and one over near Egg Lane this morning.

Kingfisher, Grey Wagtails, Siskins, winter thrushes, Meadow Pipits, Canada Geese, Grey Herons, Buzzards, Kestrels, Skylarks, lots of Chaffinches, Raven, Nuthatches, Goldcrests, Bullfinches, Mistle Thrushes, Green and Great Spotted Woodpeckers.

Tawny Owls noisy in Droitwich Woods last week.

Very limited birding over the weekend as I was full of man-flu:

Little Grebe on Tapenhall pool still
Tufted Duck on small pool between Hawford and Chatley
Female Blackcap near Hawford
Water rail calling along Canal near Coney
c 1000 Starlings roosted at Coney reedbed on Sunday evening
Treecreeper near Salwarpe village
A few Siskins over plus most of the usual winter stuff.

Fair enough, I was a bit dubious but two different spotters were insistent. Haven't seen it myself and couldn't be bothered to look for it as it's an everyday sighting in parts of Romania

Original posting from the closed Facebook group is not exactly conclusive:

The legs and bill were yellow. This makes it a rarity. I’ve seen a lot of egrets here and abroad but this one was different - a lovely sighting. Most of the egrets I’ve seen in the U.K. have been south of here and I’ve been lucky enough to also see spoonbills!

The Egret I'm looking at right now feeding along the brook at Addyes Way open space is definitely a Little Egret. Slightly outside the patch but always nice to get decent birds in the area.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back