• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Spring 2008 Mega spring for birds (1 Viewer)

rokermartin

Spring 2008 must have been one of the best springs on record for scarce and rare birds.There have been some mega birds found CITRIL FINCH,TRUMPTER FINCHES.BLACK LARK,SPECTACLED WARBLER,EASTERN OLIVACEOUS WARBLER,CALANDRA LARK,DARK EYED JUNCO,WC SPARROW,WT SPARROW,COLLARED FLYCATCHERs ,LITTLE CRAKE,CASPIAN PLOVER,STILT SANDPIPER,KILLDEER,UPLAND SANDPIPER,TEREK SANDPIPER to name but a few, and notable fall of migrants on the east coast last month and the beginning of June with a good influx of Marsh,Icterine Warblers Common Rosefinches,RB Shrikes,Golden Orioles and a few Bluethroats,RT Pipits,Rustic Buntings also one of the best influxes of RF Falcons we have had for sometime.It has also been a excellent spring for Great Reed Warblers,Whiskered Terns,BW Stilts,Citrine Wagtails,Bee eaters ,RR Swallows so i think we have had a mega spring this year could even be better than 1992 which was amazing for birds.

Last edited:
I have not seen any rarities,but I have seen and taken shots of birds I have either not seen previously ,or have not seen for approx 3yrs.
Namely,Treecreeper,Yellowhammer,Woodpecker,Willow Tit,Sedge Warbler,Reed Bunting,Barnacle Goose.
These may be common birds to most people,but I have been very happy to see these species at close quarters and manage a photo.
Perhaps it was because the weather in May this year was exceptionally good.Last year ,it was as it is today,a total washout.

I sense (and fear) an 'Is Spring the new Autumn?' or an 'Autumn is crap for rares, Spring is the new hot time for finding megas' type discussion. FWIW, I think that Autumn is finished as a rarity finding period.....;)

I sense (and fear) an 'Is Spring the new Autumn?' or an 'Autumn is crap for rares, Spring is the new hot time for finding megas' type discussion. FWIW, I think that Autumn is finished as a rarity finding period.....;)
Think spring has always been good for megas and rarities but not as good as autumn.

I was wondering the same. Lots of goodies (almost none of which I've seen btw).

Another for the list - mini influx of Thrush Nightingales. Can't remember hearing of that before . .

I was wondering the same. Lots of goodies (almost none of which I've seen btw).

Another for the list - mini influx of Thrush Nightingales. Can't remember hearing of that before . .
Hi yes i forgot about Thrush Nightingales it has been a excellent spring for those.Well spread out records most of the Thrush Nightingales turn up on Shetland usually.Been a good spring for River Warblers with 2 birds seen.

Last edited:
Try listing all the birds you haven't seen, then use the monthly totals in Rare Birds Day by Day to come up with your personal "Monthly twitch risks" you will probably find May/June and September/October are joint most risky and looking back at your own previous years' dated ticks will show each year is different. You will have one year with ticks mostly in spring, one with most in autumn and so on. As your list grows you may find you realise that the focus is switching from autumn to spring. One reason for this is that autumn rarities in general stay longer (so are easier to nail).

Any year lister will tell you sometimes the spring is great but the autumn collapses and ruins a possible world-beating list, or the spring is a damp squib followed by an autumn that leaves moans of "if only May had delivered as well..." Only very occasionally will both seasons hit the spot.

John

Try listing all the birds you haven't seen, then use the monthly totals in Rare Birds Day by Day to come up with your personal "Monthly twitch risks" you will probably find May/June and September/October are joint most risky and looking back at your own previous years' dated ticks will show each year is different. You will have one year with ticks mostly in spring, one with most in autumn and so on. As your list grows you may find you realise that the focus is switching from autumn to spring. One reason for this is that autumn rarities in general stay longer (so are easier to nail).

Any year lister will tell you sometimes the spring is great but the autumn collapses and ruins a possible world-beating list, or the spring is a damp squib followed by an autumn that leaves moans of "if only May had delivered as well..." Only very occasionally will both seasons hit the spot.

John
Yes you are right in saying that both seasons only occasionally hit the spot.I can remember spring 1992 was a mega spring for rarities and scarce birds with a record influx of RF Falcons, large influxes of WW B Terns,RT Pipits,Greenish Warblers etc and the autumn of that year was very poor.Be interesting to see what autumn 2008 is going to be like for birds whether it will follow suit.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back