• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Confirm Sparrowhawk gender please - London UK (1 Viewer)

ChrisKten

It's true, I quite like Pigeons
As some of you will know, I see Sparrowhawks often, and I'm fortunate to see many kills. I've seen males take birds up to the size of Collared Doves, but Starlings/Blackbirds are usually the largest prey for males. This bird took and ate a Pigeon yesterday, and it's quite large compared to the other males that I see.

There's hardly any supercilium, and there's signs of rufous cheeks; I'd guess this was a 2nd or even 3rd year male. But it's size, and the fact that it controlled killed a healthy Pigeon quite quickly, is more on a par with a female.

So I thought I'd better confirm that it's a male. Pics taken through grubby windows, and in very poor light, but enough detail for sexing I think. I've loads more pics, but I think these two show enough to compare size and see the lack of supercilium etc.

Thanks.

Attachments

• P2150777RGpf.JPG
    P2150777RGpf.JPG
    274 KB · Views: 282
  • P2150928RGpf.JPG
    P2150928RGpf.JPG
    264.4 KB · Views: 186
Oh, I still favour a young male, but I wouldn't have started the thread if I was positive.|=)|

A couple more pics might help. Counting myself; it's 3 -2 in favour of a young male so far.

Attachments

• P2160175RGpf.JPG
    P2160175RGpf.JPG
    269.2 KB · Views: 107
  • P2150833RGpf.JPG
    P2150833RGpf.JPG
    245.2 KB · Views: 96
  • P2160034RGpf.JPG
    P2160034RGpf.JPG
    264.7 KB · Views: 99
tarus looks very big for a male, prey is a little large as well?

Rufous on lower cheeks only not the upper chest.

I'm thinking female, uniformly dark ear coverts and quite a deep eye I think its first adult.

My usual disclaimer stands though I am a newbie and learning so happy to be corrected.

Last edited:
Looks much more like a female to me, mainly on the basis that it looks large and extremely robust. Especially in the first photo, where it looks considerably larger than the pigeon. I wouldn't have said the cheeks look at all orange-tinged, nor the breast feathers. I think just a female with a faint supercilium.

OK, this is what I use when I'm not sure:

http://www.ibercajalav.net/img/118_SparrowhawkAnisus.pdf

But sometimes, like now, I'm still not sure even after studying it. The prey was a Feral Pigeon, but the Sparrowhawk, though large, was still smaller than the Pigeon. The lack of supercilium is a bit confusing, as all young birds have them, but they fade in the males?

I really do see these birds often, and my first impression was a large male. But I guess it could be a small female without any eyebrows.|=)|

Just to give an idea of size; this is one of the smaller females with a Pigeon. I don't get decent pics of the females as often as the males, mainly due to the poor light that they seem to prefer in my garden. And this picture was taken in the pouring rain and through the window. But it gives an idea that the bird I'm asking about, isn't really that big (or is it my eyes again?|=)|)

Apologies for the poor quality, but I'm rushing about a bit, and it's the first one I found.

Attachments

• P1470994R2pf.JPG
    P1470994R2pf.JPG
    217.2 KB · Views: 118
Thanks for all the replies; female has won the vote.

No matter how often I see these birds, I can't seem to sex them accurately. I think that unless I see an adult male with textbook plumage, I won't even suggest the gender from now on.|=)|

Well, I have to say that I can accept this as a female after consideration and the new photos. The apparent absence of super threw me off and some young males can show quite little rufous. Interesting.

;) Didn't say I was definitely convinced. Sparrowhawks really can be a pain in the ***.

Yes, they can.|=)|

I get mostly immature birds, only one definite adult of each sex lately, which makes it even harder for me. The most I've had (a few weeks ago) during the same period was 5 birds; 3 immature, 1 adult female, 1 adult male. From what I see, and from how many I'm unsure about, they aren't easy to sex unless they're adults with classic plumage.

The only reason I could tell the 3 younger birds apart was size, and some quite distinct white patches (one on the back of one of their heads, and one on the back). But of course, these white patches will probably have gone now.|=)|

Oh, I still favour a young male, but I wouldn't have started the thread if I was positive.|=)|

A couple more pics might help. Counting myself; it's 3 -2 in favour of a young male so far.

Hi Chris.

This is unrelated to the topic in question. But wonder if anybody knows the answer.

It couldn't have possibly eaten the whole pigeon in one go. What did it do once it had its feed? Did it take the remainder back to its nest? If so, do sparrowhawks have a nest the whole year around? If not where do they roost at night?
Thanks.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back