• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is this a Kingbird? (1 Viewer)

The first two are Northern Mockingbird. The third photo looks like a Kingbird but are those wingbars in the photo?

Last edited:
Thank you for the replies! Can someone explain to me the differences between the kingbird and the mockingbird? These birds all look the same to me...help! lol

Steph

This is a western kingbird . . .

I think the third is mockingbird too but here is a western kingbird for comparison.

The tail is shorter and is overall not as long and slender as a mockingbird.

Definitely not an eastern kingbird either; which stands much more vertically . .

Look for that white wing flash when they fly . . on a mockingbird.

good to compare the two as both favor high points to sing from. Mockingbirds are fairly indiscriminate . .they'll use anything . . rooftops, antenna, telephone pole, etc. . kingbirds tend to stay more to natural trees, etc. . .

Where in Texas are you?

Kolya

Attachments

• westernking.jpg
    westernking.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
The kingbird is a gray, white and yellow bird with no wing bars. A mockingbird is also gray but has no yellow on it whatsoever and has two white wingbars.

In the warm light of early morning or late afternoon, its underparts could show warmer tones especially on the underbelly, as yours does here. But never the lemon yellow of a kingbird. The photo's color register is also off, showing the wire and the bird as being brown rather than in the gray tones that would normally be the case.

When I lightened the first two shots in Photoshop, not only were the wingbars more obvious, but I could also see the characteristic thin, darkish eyeline that runs through the mocker's eye from bill to just behind the eye.

However, both birds have white outer tail feathers and both birds are a medium gray on top, so I can certainly understand how they could be hard to differentiate unless you get good looks at them in good light. :t:

Or if they are singing. Mockingbirds are just wonderful to listen to and have a hugely variable repertoire of songs whose phrases they repeat 3-5 times and can sing for several minutes without stopping. A kingbird sounds nothing remotely close to what I'd call "singing" -- more like rhythmic call notes.

Edited to dissemble ;):

Y'know, I think I'm changing my mind about that 3rd photo. I have to agree with Kolya about how incredibly long that tail is. I'm also thinking the bill looks too long for a kingbird, and I can even imagine seeing an eyeline more clearly here. But I'm still very much bothered by no wing bars and by the yellow belly (even with all the red/brown taken out of the photo, that belly is still yellow, which is not a mocker characteristic).

But I also know not to trust the way colors are represented on the 'net and on individual monitors, so assuming the belly isn't really yellow, that still leaves the wingbar question. Maybe the bird is in molt and they aren't showing as prominently as they otherwise would? :h?:

I see what you mean about the last picture. It does appear to have a yellowish tint to the belly and questionable wing bars. Who knows...hopefully I'll see it again and get some better photos.

Kolya...I am from Tyler, TX.

Thank you all for your input!!
Steph

the first two are northern mockingbirds. i'll agree that the last pic is of a kingbird species, but I think there is a chance that this is an immature Scissor-tailed Flycatcher (which are kingbirds). Just throwing that out there.

swamp_rattler said:
the first two are northern mockingbirds. i'll agree that the last pic is of a kingbird species, but I think there is a chance that this is an immature Scissor-tailed Flycatcher (which are kingbirds). Just throwing that out there.
You're right in Scissor-tailed Flycatcher. They're very common in Texas, while a Western Kingbird would be something of a find in East Texas, if I remember well (I stopped keeping records of either pretty soon when I visited Texas 11 years ago).

the third pic is a mocker I think its just lighting that gives the underside a yellowish look. Can someone find a picture that would match the third bird as a mocker or a scissor juvie.

The first 2 are without a doubt Northern Mockingbirds and the 3rd picture is Scissor-tailed Flycatcher. The tail looks to be the size of the body. No kingbird (besides Scissor-tailed Flycatcher) in Texas will have this long of a tail. Like stated above, Scissor-tailed is very common in Texas.

David

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned a Great Crested Flycatcher as a possible suspect for the 3rd pic. I know the tail doesnt match, but lighting can play tricks with colors, but I think a Scissor-tailed Flycatcher is a great possibility.

Last edited:
Great-creasted Flycatcher will be darker brown, wont have an eye stripe and will sit more upright. Also the tail gives it away. With the long tail, black eyestripe and grayish above this is a Scissor-tailed Flycatcher. It could be a female because they tend to have shorter tails than males.

David Pavlik

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back