Thread: Birds fae Torry
View Single Post
Old Sunday 23rd September 2007, 20:29   #22
Andrew Whitehouse
Professor of Listening
BF Supporter 2018

Still plenty of Swallows about today, although no other hirundines. I've seen both House and Sand Martins around Girdle Ness during the week though.

In addition to inheriting Girdle Ness as a patch from Stuart Reeves, I've also inherited his old WEBS count from Cove Bay to Nigg Bay. It's a nice walk along the clifftops but doesn't usually hold too many birds. Today was probably quieter than usual with the undoubted highlight, and I say this in all seriousness, being a flock of no fewer than 25 Lapwings. Certainly the most I've seen on the count and only 19,975 short of being internationally important. Other stuff included a single Purple Sandpiper, my second of the autumn, at Greg Ness and nearly 200 Pink-feet going south in two flocks. I had a quick seawatch from Greg Ness and managed 'the usual' Arctic Skua and Bonxie and a couple of juvenile Arctic Terns. Not too much to add from the flat, although the dolphins were around all morning. I finally located a Curlew on a patch of shore near Footdee. Up until now they've been mocking me from just out of sight but this one wasn't following orders. That's 49 species on the house list now. There was also a veritable cavalcade of Grey Wagtails, with at least two and probably three knocking about on the warehouse roof opposite late morning.

Listening to Birds

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation