• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (47 Viewers)

What can I say about this visit that other people have not said before the place is looking great with ALL the hard work done by both groups on Tuesday’s and Sunday’s, the work done from the Cuckoo hide on the flashes as really opened the place up.

Firstly, visited the Moors pools arrived around 07.15am on a slightly damp and chilly morning to be greeted by a singing Cetti’s warbler by the car park didn’t see it straight away but did get a few seconds when it flew across the car park and landed just past the gate leading to the west hide.

2 Shelducks on the North Moors pool this was the first time I have seen this species on this pool, then had another first for me a Water Rail in flight it flew from the opposite side to the car park on the pool to just infront of the car park in the clearing just on the corner was in view for around a couple of minutes before disappearing into the reeds.

While moving on to the East hide I popped into the secret garden and was mesmerized by the mass of Blue tits everywhere I looked I saw Blue tits and they were very lively with the breeding season upon us.

In the field next to Life Styles I had great views of Green Woodpecker, Redwing (16) being slightly nervous of the Jackdaws flying around into the trees just past the fence line, No sign of Fieldfare with this small flock of Redwing.

Fieldfares were seen later in a flock of mixed thrushes from the field by the car park at the Moors car park.

It was great to see Life Styles new display of Temmnick’s Tragopan and Copper Pheasants the Copper being a Lifer for me in the Captive species list I keep, had more interesting times by watching the Redpoll (7) in this area they didn’t seem to mind me being there as they moved through the tree’s opposite Life Styles.

Onto the walk towards the East hide was hoping to see the Treecreeper as I need it for a year tick but unfortunately didn’t get to see it even though I did pop back from the Flashes just before leaving will hopefully spend more time on the Moors on my next visit, Along the track I had a glimpse of a Bullfinch pair, Long Tailed Tits were very noisy as they seemed to follow me all the way to the hide.

Now from the hide the first species seen and great views of a Little grebe (6) it was swimming along the edge of the pool directly infront of the hide for a good 30 minutes, also had a good count of Shelduck (9) this includes the pair from the North Moors possible 11 birds on the reserve.

A pair of Great crested grebes were displaying just off to the right of the hide sometimes going out of sight behind the reeds, 2 Pairs of Gadwall and a single male bird were quite easy to pick up as they were out in the open water to the left of the hide.

It looked like there were Pochards everywhere I looked but in the end I counted 32 (20 males) other counts were Coot (87), Tufted duck (21), Teal (8), Shoveler (14), BHG (71) & Moorhen (8)

After leaving the hide to move towards Salwarpe Link I had a great view of a Female Siskin in the tree right on the corner of the path that leads to life styles from the east hide path it was feeding on the dead seeds and it never moved just kept eating away as if I wasn’t there at all just wished I got my camera.

On to a walk through the Salwarpe River Path this was nowhere as wet and muddy as I thought it would have been with the way the weather has been over this winter, but not too much to report but there were loads of the tit family again both Blue and Great Tits a few Blackbirds and Robins but nothing else.

Now onto the Sailing pool I was greeted by a calling Dunnock on the gate post who decided he wasn’t going to move as I passed by him, with no people on the pool It was quite busy with Great crested grebe’s (3), Chiffchaff (2), Oystercatcher (2) on raft in middle of pool, Coot (7), Mute swan (2), a flock of Lapwing flying over heading to the Flashes (11) a pair of Goldcrest in the scrub by the gate to the Flashes Pool, a pair of Ravens flew over the pool going over the cafe.

On to the Cuckoo hide now and first of all it’s great the work that has been done here opening up the area for waders and other species but today we had Teal and Black headed gulls in close to the hide, also a Kingfisher was pool diving from the dead tree to the left of the hide into the brook below it was doing this for around 5 minutes.

There were Mallard, Teal, Black headed gulls & Moorhens on the area that has been cleared to the opposite side of the pool, a single Avocet was also in this area feeding well and looking like it could be another breeding area with a bit of luck.

On to the Tower hide now with a few Avocets around (26), Black headed gull (102), Lapwing (61), Teal (7), Curlew (2), Gadwall (4), Shelduck (2), Shoveler (5) & Mute swan (2) it was a little noisier than it was on my last visit.

Last edited:
Today's highlights:

MOORS:
Shelduck (9)---------------Pochard (22)
Teal (4)--------------------Shoveler (14)
Tufted Duck (37)-----------Gadwall (6)
Little Grebe (6)-------------G C Grebe (2)
Oystercatcher (4)----------Snipe (1)
Little Egret (3)--------------Redpoll (4)
Redwing (6)-----------------Mute Swan (2)
Cetti's Warbler (2)----------Cormorant (8)
Rook (2)--------------------Nuthatch
Coal Tit reported------------B H Gull (32)

FLASHES:
Avocet (26)-----------------Jack Snipe (1)
Curlew (2)------------------Oystercatcher (2)
Green Sand (1)-------------Gadwall (1m)
Shoveler (1m)--------------Teal (39)
Shelduck (2)----------------Kestrel
B H Gull (c600)-------------Winter Thrushes: c300/60% Redwing mainly in fields south of the Flashes.

SAILING POOL/ED RES:
Tufted Duck (21)-----------G C Grebe (4)
Chiffchaff (singing)---------Skylark (singing)
Raven----------------------Greylag Goose (2)

+ 2 Roe Deer at the North Moors.

Des.

Hi John
Interesting note on the Avocets, it jogged my memory on Saturday they where mainly over that side with a couple in front of the avocet hide.Here's one for you to ponder do you think that there food source has been concentrated that area due the draining of the flashes recently?

Hi Tim. most years they will feed in this manner on the 1st Flash. I think food is more plentiful in deeper water at this time of year. On the Moors a recent insect hatch in deep water attracted ducks and gulls. I think the shallowness of the 2nd Flash impedes any early insect hatching as the water is too cold. This is the same in October when the first cold spells kill off any invertebrates. As April approaches the water should warm up and then the invertebrates will proliferate and the feeding bonanza begins. :t:

I spent an hour today at the Moors hoping to see a redpoll or siskin. No joy, but the light was brilliant, so I took some photos of the usual suspects instead!

I hope this works as I haven't posted photos on here before - apologies if not!

Attachments

• 330.JPG
    330.JPG
    384.1 KB · Views: 70
  • 331.JPG
    331.JPG
    398.9 KB · Views: 81
  • 332.JPG
    332.JPG
    391.5 KB · Views: 82
Yay - it worked!

I put my sightings into the logbook at the Moors today, but very cleverly forgot to make a note of them for myself (beginner error)... I will make sure I do next time so I can record them here.

Here are some photos from today at the flashes:

Attachments

• 339.JPG
    339.JPG
    384.5 KB · Views: 76
  • 343.JPG
    343.JPG
    824.9 KB · Views: 65
  • 342.jpg
    342.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 74
Yay - it worked!

I put my sightings into the logbook at the Moors today, but very cleverly forgot to make a note of them for myself (beginner error)... I will make sure I do next time so I can record them here.

Here are some photos from today at the flashes:

Thanks for posting Nicky. Hopefully you will enjoy the upton experience and encourage more to post. B :) john

Flashes 0630-0900

Avocet (25), Redshank (2), Oystercatcher (2), Little Egret (1)
LBB Gull (2), Shelduck (2)

Chiffchaff & Cetti's singing by first gate from sailing pool

Jack Snipe spotted by Gary M

Some shots of a Jack Snipe showing well yesterday afternoon in front of the main Flashes Hide. Great to share the pleasure of those present at such good views of the JS feeding extensively in the shallow ditch right in front of the hide. Thanks to Gary M for spotting it whilst the rest of us were gassing !!

Attachments

• UW Mar 2016 Jack Snipe -U 072 (1024x683).jpg
    UW Mar 2016 Jack Snipe -U 072 (1024x683).jpg
    472.7 KB · Views: 169
  • UW Mar 2016 Jack Snipe -U 225 (1024x683).jpg
    UW Mar 2016 Jack Snipe -U 225 (1024x683).jpg
    533.2 KB · Views: 154
  • UW Mar 2016 Jack Snipe -U 269 (1024x683).jpg
    UW Mar 2016 Jack Snipe -U 269 (1024x683).jpg
    511.1 KB · Views: 141
Some shots of a Jack Snipe showing well yesterday afternoon in front of the main Flashes Hide. Great to share the pleasure of those present at such good views of the JS feeding extensively in the shallow ditch right in front of the hide. Thanks to Gary M for spotting it whilst the rest of us were gassing !!

Cracking shots Kimbo , best I've seen of JS

Yesterday - Flashes

1. Starling in full glory
2. Lapwing - ditto
3. Green sandpiper

Avocets and lapwings were occasionally prospecting and there was some displaying from the lapwings. Two curlew were on the sewage meadow. Lots of displaying from Black-headed gulls. VERY noisy!

Attachments

• IMG_2065a.jpg
    IMG_2065a.jpg
    942.3 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_2091a.jpg
    IMG_2091a.jpg
    766.8 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_2124a.jpg
    IMG_2124a.jpg
    678.3 KB · Views: 91
Yesterday - Moors

1. Green woodpecker spent a while almost out of site on the bank to the left of the east hide and the flew into the tree near the telegraph post. Quite vociferous.
2. The wrens sang to one another - at least four about - and this one bathed in the warmth of the setting sun for some minutes.
3. (18:56) The ground suddenly appeared to erupt as these three snipe moved out of their hiding place to feed frantically (like little sewing machine needles).
4. 18:59 Sunset
5. Just as we were leaving these three little grebe came out to play - it really did look like playtime - and chattered and dived together. (from a video)

Attachments

• IMG_2167a.jpg
    IMG_2167a.jpg
    749.2 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_2205a.jpg
    IMG_2205a.jpg
    845.7 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_2227a.jpg
    IMG_2227a.jpg
    715.2 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_2246a.jpg
    IMG_2246a.jpg
    735.4 KB · Views: 79
  • Capturea.jpg
    Capturea.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 77
The Far Side

Yesterday at the Flashes H89 started territorial war with another male swan. Spring must be here.

For Phil W - so long as the Cloggies are not around three legs or one leg makes no difference. Shutter release cable rules!

1 Peace on the near side.
2,3,4, H89 in territory disputes!
5 Now little ones just think what I'll do to you if YOU don't behave!

Phil E

Attachments

• P4960624a.jpg
    P4960624a.jpg
    898 KB · Views: 90
  • P4960645a.jpg
    P4960645a.jpg
    798.6 KB · Views: 96
  • P4960646a.jpg
    P4960646a.jpg
    924.7 KB · Views: 86
  • P4960655a.jpg
    P4960655a.jpg
    671.7 KB · Views: 94
  • P4960665a.jpg
    P4960665a.jpg
    615.4 KB · Views: 106
Only a brief visit today 10 -12.3pm so counts aren't definitive.
Moors : Little grebe 3. little egret 1. Wigeon x3. Shoveler 2. Shelduck 5. teal 2. pochard 12 (9males ).

Sailing pool : GCG 4. Shoveler 7. grey wag. pied wag 2 Uncommon recently.

Flashes : Teal 12. shelduck 2. gadwall male. Avocet 30. Curlew 1. Snipe 1. lapwing 39 (3 displaying ). Oystercatcher 2. peregrine. Cetti's. goldcrest. chiffchaff singing.

interesting to note that Wigeon and pied wags were on the move at Belvide today albeit in larger numbers than we had.

Last edited:
plan to start the early Saturday's tomorrow crack of dawn..conditions not looking that good for migration but stuff is on the move. so you will never know. :t: john

Only a brief visit today 10 -12.3pm so counts aren't definitive.
Moors : Little grebe 3. little egret 1. Wigeon x3. Shoveler 2. Shelduck 5. teal 2. pochard 12 (9males ).

Sailing pool : GCG 4. Shoveler 7. grey wag. pied wag 2 Uncommon recently.

Flashes : Teal 12. shelduck 2. gadwall male. Avocet 30. Curlew 1. Snipe 1. lapwing 39 (3 displaying ). Oystercatcher 2. peregrine. Cetti's. goldcrest. chiffchaff singing.

interesting to note that Wigeon and pied wags were on the move at Belvide today albeit in larger numbers than we had.

The record count for adult Avocet at Upton Warren is 34 birds, achieved on the 15th and 25th April last year so plenty of time for numbers to further increase.

Flashes 12.10pm
2 red kite soaring over transmitter field

This is the fifth multiple sighting of Red Kite at Upton Warren, all featuring two birds and all within the last three years - 8th June 2013 (over the Sailing Pool), 10th June 2013 (also over the Sailing Pool), 6th June 2015 (over the Flashes) and 2nd August 2015 (over the Sailing Pool).

An early 5.35 an start at the Flashes. Soon joined by Spike and Tim. fI'll owed by Matt, Mike , Jarad and Paul R...After a time the cold NE wind gave me a reality check that this wasn't going to be a good day for migration. The raucous din of 1400 BHG from 1st light soon abated as the majority of the flock moved off, giving way to displaying avocet and lapwings. Surprisingly there were only 2 teal but a flock flushed from the north side of the sewage works swelled the ranks. Moving to the cuckoo hide where the area was more sheltered a couple of chiffchaff foraged. Along the boardwalk to the bridge was alive with flies and a couple of goldcrests feasted on them. We'll it's still a bit early for spring migration but I was disappointed when Mike let me know that 3 dunlin arrived 5 minutes after I had left. That's Birding8-P

Species Count FLASHES :
Teal 43. gadwall male. Shelduck 2. Shoveler 6. Tufted. Greylag 9. Mute swan 2.. coot 26. water rail. Avocet 30. Curlew 8. lapwing 31. Green sand. oystercatchers 3. BHG 1400. herring gull 5. LBBG 20. Kestrel. buzzard 3. stock dove 12. Green woodpecker 2. raven still on transmitter mast nest. Song thrush 3 singing.. redwing. fieldfare. Skylark 2. Cetti's Warbler singing. Chiffchaff 2. goldcrest 2. treecreeper. pied wag 2.

SAILING POOL : GCG 4. Shoveler 5 tufted 25.

Last edited:
Not too much to add to John's sightings apart from the 3 Dunlin that arrived at 10.50. They had apparently departed by 11.30. Also a couple of Linnets appeared and a lone Snipe was one of many birds flushed by a Sparrowhawk. A Grey Wagtail was on the Sailing Pool. The highlight of the morning however was the Otter seen carrying an 18 inch eel at the Moors Pool as it swam towards the east shore. Easily my best sighting of Otter at Upton. Birding at the Moors was much as the last couple of weeks, just with fewer ducks on offer. 58 avian species noted by me during the morning... unless I missed anything obvious from the list.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back