• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (45 Viewers)

Moors Pool 7.30am to noon

In addition to the egrets and stint the Kingfisher was catching sticklebacks on and off all morning in Amy's marsh.

1 Green sand was present all morning.

Flock of about a dozen Fieldfare flew over to south.

Attachments

• 7D2_015863.jpg
    7D2_015863.jpg
    277.7 KB · Views: 41
  • 7D2_015916.jpg
    7D2_015916.jpg
    421.1 KB · Views: 78
  • 7D2_015926.jpg
    7D2_015926.jpg
    363.3 KB · Views: 67
  • 7D2_015870.jpg
    7D2_015870.jpg
    223.1 KB · Views: 63
Birded for 45 mines this afternoon at Moors

This afternoon I twitched Alan's Little stint, it was mostly on the main shingle island off shore of the lagoon . It also went into the Lagoon and the 'channel ' island. The water is very low and with many snipe, lapwing and green sandpipers feeding in Amy's Marsh it is obviously providing a good food source.
I am sure another decent wader will appear soon.
Other species on site were :-
Little grebe 2. Shoveler 106. teal 70. gadwall
tufted 12. Coot 18. water rail. Little egret. Snipe 20 many feeding on the cut vegetation that we had strimmed off the islands on Tuesday and put in the water to create invertebrate habitat. Green sand. lapwing 45. Little Stint juv. Cetti's Warbler. grey wag chased by sparrowhawk , later it was singing.

From this evening in 90 minutes from 17.40. Arctic Tern still on Sailing Pool to 17.45, not seen in dark on way back. Roost held 7 1st W Common Gulls, at least 3 adult Yellow-legged Gulls, 25+ Herring Gulls and 150+ LBB Gulls. Large gulls still coming in as I left. Geese also in in decent numbers - c.150 Canadas, c.12 Greylag & 2 Egyptian

Little Stint is the 144th species of the year; with a bit of luck we may reach the 150 mark.

Little Stint also represents the 22nd species of wader to be recorded on the reserve this year; when I have a moment I will check to see how many years this has been bettered in - not many I wager :t:

Last edited:
Today at FLASHES 6.15 - 12.45pm

The cold NE made the temperature feel much less than the 12 degrees it actually was.
The gulls also stayed a bit later than normal probably trying to warm up. The cut reeds have now given the north side of the Flashes a more open feel and hopefully more birds will be attracted in. Once the gulls and geese moved out from their roost other birds moved into feed - mostly dabbling ducks. At about 7.45 I started a bit of Vis-Migging out the 'back'. It was never going to be as exciting as last week but things were on the move. Namely thrushes, with redwing coming over the north fields from the east and SE. Skylarks too were coming through, most stopping off in the north fields before moving south. Just a few mipits were present but these were probably feeding locally rather than genuine migrants. The hedgerows were relatively quiet apart from a few chiffs in amongst the roving tit flock and thrushes feeding on the berries. At 10.25 a pintail dropped on to the 1st Flash and happily dabbled and was still present when I left. At the top of the north field in the hedgerows were several passerines perching on top and looking very 'chat' like. Luckily the birds flew up & perched on the wires revealing all to be reed buntings, so be careful when scanning at this distance in poor light. I think we have now entered the ' winter zone' apart from a swallow the other migrants were the winter stock.
Species counts:
cormorant 3. teal 54. Shoveler 80. Gadwall 4. Wigeon the single bird still grazing the meadow. Pintail. Coot 64. water rail. Egyptian geese 2. greylag 12. Kestrel. lapwing 185. Snipe 5. Curlew 18. Green sand. BHG 1600. LBBG 400. Herring 35 ( a juv had a Red ring with white letters S+Y. or it could have been 9+Y). Common gull 1st winter. Stock dove 120+. Green woodpecker. great spotted w. skylark 15. swallow. raven 2. rook 5. Jay. fieldfare 4. redwing 75. song thrush 6. starling 220.meadow pipit 25. Cetti's 2. chiffchaff 5. blackcap. siskin. Linnet 6. chaffinch 2. grey wag. pied wag 4. Reed bunting 15
I recorded 58 species on the Flashes this morning.

Arctic Tern on sailing pool

Last edited:
Species counts:
cormorant 3. teal 54. Shoveler 80. Gadwall 4. Wigeon the single bird still grazing the meadow. Pintail. Coot 64. water rail. Egyptian geese 2. greylag 12. Kestrel. lapwing 185. Snipe 5. Curlew 18. Green sand. BHG 1600. LBBG 400. Herring 35 ( a juv had a Red ring with white letters S+Y. or it could have been 9+Y). Common gull 1st winter. Stock dove 120+. Green woodpecker. great spotted w. skylark 15. swallow. raven 2. rook 5. Jay. fieldfare 4. redwing 75. song thrush 6. starling 220.meadow pipit 25. Cetti's 2. chiffchaff 5. blackcap. siskin. Linnet 6. chaffinch 2. grey wag. pied wag 4. Reed bunting 15
I recorded 58 species on the Flashes this morning.

Arctic Tern on sailing pool

I cant find a scheme that has red "9+Y" but "S+Y" would be the following http://cr-birding.org/node/2978. I will make contact with Peter.

Sailing pool Car parking - October

Throughout the week and Saturday's the Café is open until 6pm. This means car park is open until 6pm. Assume it will close just after 6. On Sundays the Café closes at 5pm so car park is closed at 5.pm. If any keyholders are staying until dark can they post here so birders can park on car park. Outside these times you will have to find alternate parking.
After October when clock goes back , Café times will probably alter. I will find out arrangements thereafter.
Please DO NOT Ask at Aztec Office go into Cafe and ask Nik what time they are closing gates. Also buy a cuppa and a cake8-P.

Tonight Sunday 9th October I will be locking the gates at Sailing pool approx 7.15pm. After the Gull roost :t:

The first winter Herring Gull sporting a red leg ring with white 'S+Y' which John noted yesterday morning at the Flashes was ringed at Filton, Bristol exactly a month previously (08/09/2016). Many thanks to Peter Rock for the speedy response to the submission.

No news from the reserve so far today ....

Didn't arrive until 5 at the Moors. Where I saw 3 snipe feeding on the muddy bank of the Bittern channel and a couple of chiffchaff amongst the tit flock. After filling the feeding buckets for Bobby P I went on to the Flashes.
After a brief check for a yellow browed in the 'confluence ' scrub8-P without success, Again!!:-C I joined MikeW, Dave W and later Jarad to do the gull roost.
It was all about Common Gulls initially as the large gulls hadn't really arrived in any numbers. By this time 6.15pm there was usually a good number of large gulls already settled. But on Sundays the local 'tips' close earlier so maybe the birds had roosted elsewhere. But then Jarad picked up a Yellow legged in flight and drop down on the edge of the 1st Flash. This was a very clean headed bird with very fine white tipped primaries - this was a different bird to the 4 or 5 others I have seen in the last week. And soon the trickle of large gulls became a flood and they were still appearing at dark. But before that another very clean headed bird appeared on the 1st Flash
Making it 6 YLG's for me and 8 possibly 9 in 11 days on the reserve. Tonight was also to be the highest count of both common and large gulls this Autumn. The large gulls almost filled the 1st Flash with more in the 'gulley/central area'. These large gull gatherings are becoming a regular feature in October and hopefully we will be receiving a Caspo anytime soon:t:.

Counts: BHG 1500. Common Gull 9 (6x 1st winter 2 very young 'blotchy' backed birds and 3 adults) 1100 large gulls. Herring gull 450. LBBG 650. Yellow legged gull 2 adults.
Also seen - Wigeon. Shoveler 30+. Teal 60. gadwall. Egyptian geese 2. Coot 62. water rail. curlew 18. snipe 4.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back