• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

I'm sore. (1 Viewer)

Danielbirdwatcher

Danielbirdwatcher
I have taken too many photos of late and to my surprise, I am actually sore on my left shoulder, left pec, and left forearm. I have been physical all my life with weight lifting, cardio workouts and it took me a couple of days to realize what exactly is wrong after visiting my chiropractor. So I own a Nikon Coolpix P900 and I'm never really sore or just don't realize when I'm enjoying taking pictures of nature and birds and so forth. Interestingly I think my camera weighs almost or five pounds or two something kilos in European talk. So hopefully my muscles will calm down a bit in the next few weeks. Being a senior I'm used to living with pain. It happens when your parts exceed normal expectations after so much you have done in your life it eventually catches up with you. For one I broke my collar bone in my twenties and my skeleton is not exactly the same on both sides. Being flat-footed did me no favors too for laughing out loud. Oh well, I'm standing on a Soap Box here so I like to know is there anyone else in the photography world that has this happened to them?

Inspired by the well-known "tennis elbow", I call my usual condition "birding elbow". I carry around the most lightweight DSLR+400mm lens combination in existence, which is less than 2 kg, but when I am out, I carry it all for days - and if any night-time activity is included, I dress it up with a flash, magbeam and an extra light ... It actually has a negative effect on my ability to play volleyball, but what would I not do for birds!

Inspired by the well-known "tennis elbow", I call my usual condition "birding elbow". I carry around the most lightweight DSLR+400mm lens combination in existence, which is less than 2 kg, but when I am out, I carry it all for days - and if any night-time activity is included, I dress it up with a flash, magbeam and an extra light ... It actually has a negative effect on my ability to play volleyball, but what would I not do for birds!
Yes, the constant mechanical movement that isn't in agreement with your whole body or maybe just one side can be a conflict lol.:smoke:

I have taken too many photos of late and to my surprise, I am actually sore on my left shoulder, left pec, and left forearm. I have been physical all my life with weight lifting, cardio workouts and it took me a couple of days to realize what exactly is wrong after visiting my chiropractor. So I own a Nikon Coolpix P900 and I'm never really sore or just don't realize when I'm enjoying taking pictures of nature and birds and so forth. Interestingly I think my camera weighs almost or five pounds or two something kilos in European talk. So hopefully my muscles will calm down a bit in the next few weeks. Being a senior I'm used to living with pain. It happens when your parts exceed normal expectations after so much you have done in your life it eventually catches up with you. For one I broke my collar bone in my twenties and my skeleton is not exactly the same on both sides. Being flat-footed did me no favors too for laughing out loud. Oh well, I'm standing on a Soap Box here so I like to know is there anyone else in the photography world that has this happened to them?

Dan...I ache getting out of bed and on the go! that's why I shoot with a 1.83lbs Lumix FZ1000 bridge, but then I'm just a hack! ;)

Attachments

• P1300312.jpeg  Yellow-Billed Cuckoo 10..jpeg
    P1300312.jpeg Yellow-Billed Cuckoo 10..jpeg
    119.7 KB · Views: 44
  • P1560184.jpeg  Def.Yellow 9..jpg
    P1560184.jpeg Def.Yellow 9..jpg
    405.2 KB · Views: 41
  • P1760665.jpeg  Osp.90..jpeg
    P1760665.jpeg Osp.90..jpeg
    53.8 KB · Views: 62
Dan...I ache getting out of bed and on the go! that's why I shoot with a 1.83lbs Lumix FZ1000 bridge, but then I'm just a hack! ;)

Beautiful pictures. I used to have a lot of sciatica pain in my right leg. My Chiropractor has the machine DRX-9000 man that machine saved my life. I use to hurt just walking. If you are serious you should check into it.

Opisska

I hesitate to think of the weight of my set up with a heavy Sigma but intend to reduce it before my next trip. I may weigh it later....

All the best

My wife carries and hand holds a Nikon D810 with a Sigma sport 150-600 lens amounting to about 4.5 kgs. After a day usiing that it hurts and when we come back from a trip of several weeks duration, such is the damage to the tendons in her wrist and hand, she has to employ a full hand and lower arm brace for several weeks,

So I own a Nikon Coolpix P900 and I'm never really sore or just don't realize when I'm enjoying taking pictures of nature and birds and so forth. Interestingly I think my camera weighs almost or five pounds or two something kilos in European talk.

Did you get sore from your P900, or a different camera? A P900 weighs just under 2 pounds.

My TZ80 weighs about 1/3 of that. I'm tired of lugging cameras around.

My wife carries and hand holds a Nikon D810 with a Sigma sport 150-600 lens amounting to about 4.5 kgs. After a day usiing that it hurts and when we come back from a trip of several weeks duration, such is the damage to the tendons in her wrist and hand, she has to employ a full hand and lower arm brace for several weeks,

That woman’s a saint!

This sounds quite serious to me, are you sure it's a good idea to continue doing that?

This sounds quite serious to me, are you sure it's a good idea to continue doing that?

I do allow her to take time off for good behaviour....B :)

The other option would be to lump a tripod around which she doesn't want to do and is just impractical most of the time.

Seriously though, it did become a problem but since we have the new baby we haven't done much birding and her wrist has recovered fully.

I do allow her to take time off for good behaviour....B :)

The other option would be to lump a tripod around which she doesn't want to do and is just impractical most of the time.

Seriously though, it did become a problem but since we have the new baby we haven't done much birding and her wrist has recovered fully.

Wait till baby starts getting heavier but insisting to still be carried ( how well I remember.....);)
My camera and Sigma lens weigh in at 2.55 kilos but I carry them bandolier style rather than in my hand (at my age I too would end up suffering with strained hand and wrist pain). How we “suffer for our art” as someone once said (probably Shakespeare, it’s usually him).

How we “suffer for our art” as someone once said (probably Shakespeare, it’s usually him).

The phrase may have derived from Aldous Huxley's 1923 play Antic Hay:

“Perhaps it's good for one to suffer. Can an artist do anything if he's happy? Would he ever want to do anything? What is art, after all, but a protest against the horrible inclemency of life?”

However, that's far from certain.
MJB

The phrase may have derived from Aldous Huxley's 1923 play Antic Hay:

“Perhaps it's good for one to suffer. Can an artist do anything if he's happy? Would he ever want to do anything? What is art, after all, but a protest against the horrible inclemency of life?”

However, that's far from certain.
MJB

Ah yes, Huxley, I like this one of his:
“Technological progress has merely provided us with more efficient means for going backwards.”

Ah yes, Huxley, I like this one of his:
“Technological progress has merely provided us with more efficient means for going backwards.”

That could well be the motto of British Governments since the 1960s....!

Oh, I just realised I got the medium wrong: it's a comic novel, not a play, but perhaps there has been a theatre version?
MJB

That could well be the motto of British Governments since the 1960s....!

Oh, I just realised I got the medium wrong: it's a comic novel, not a play, but perhaps there has been a theatre version?
MJB

Had JC got in it would have led to a very real 'Greek tragedy' but we digress Sir..............

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back