• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Red Kite shot in E.Yorks/Wolds (1 Viewer)

There's a lot of talk about shooting/hunting being part of the culture in places like Malta, Cyprus, Kuwait etc. However, it seems to me, an observer from afar, that the shootings that occur in the UK really can only be put down to lack of education on the role of the bird or protecting a population of gamebirds that don't seem to really need protecting due to their numbers compared to raptors.

Is this perhaps a generalistic, uninformed grouse-wise comment to make?!

There's a lot of talk about shooting/hunting being part of the culture in places like Malta, Cyprus, Kuwait etc. However, it seems to me, an observer from afar, that the shootings that occur in the UK really can only be put down to lack of education on the role of the bird or protecting a population of gamebirds that don't seem to really need protecting due to their numbers compared to raptors.

Is this perhaps a generalistic, uninformed grouse-wise comment to make?!

Yeah, there is no way the parties involved are unaware of (a) the law or (b) the mass of educational material including mass media explaining kites' feeding habits.

Shooters believe that BOP massacre their quarry in the same way that some people remain convinced the Earth is flat or that creation took seven days and a big bloke with a massive shovel.

John

Yeah, there is no way the parties involved are unaware of (a) the law or (b) the mass of educational material including mass media explaining kites' feeding habits.

Shooters believe that BOP massacre their quarry in the same way that some people remain convinced the Earth is flat or that creation took seven days and a big bloke with a massive shovel.

John

Well said John emotions can run high but the slaughter must be publicised as it is.

John.

The sad thing is I think a lot of shooters would probably be as happy at a slightly decreased bag when shooting and a harrier/kite/eagle sighting as they would with just a lot of grouse/pheasants/partridge if not more so......and yet these people show a sort of nelsonian blindness to what gamekeepers and estate controllers do. I really do believe a compromise is possible and necessary but it needs those who put cash into the shooting industry to take a long ahrd look at themselves and who they give their money to.

edited to add - I'm not suggesting incidentally that more BoP = less game birds just pointing out that I think even if it did people's may not mind.

I've tried to keep an open mind about the merits of grouse shooting for years ago but I'm coming down on the side of total ban with draconian penalties and total seizure/nationalisation of shooting estates.

Or does that seem a bit half hearted........?

I've tried to keep an open mind about the merits of grouse shooting for years ago but I'm coming down on the side of total ban with draconian penalties and total seizure/nationalisation of shooting estates.

Your not far from the what should happen John but our government is toothless and has little fight in them to go up against the proprietors of bird of prey slaughter which is happening over the commercial grouse moors. I personally feel that most designations given to much of the uplands are weak and to say that many areas are the last wilderness in England is not justified we should see a wholescale movement to wildness which is managed firstly for wildlife then shooting through license only secondary.

John.

i agree with this too pretty much. i also wanted to post in the thread because it'll mean there's now four johns in it :smoke:

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back