• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Trying to make a decision on a 150-600mm lens (1 Viewer)

Andonso

Hello,

I've been looking for a longer lens for nature photography and found a Sigma and Tamron 150-600mm lenses that are inline with my budget.

However while searching I've run into a few obstacles while trying to make a decision in quality, price and warranty for both used and new lenses.

Most pre-owned lenses don't come with a warranty so there's another decision if I want a pre-owned or new lens with manufacture warranty.

A new Tamron 150-600mm lens with Tamon's six year warranty the lens runs approx. $1400.00 for the G2 version. The G1 version runs approx. $400.00 less if able to find new with warranty. Significantly less for a pre-owned.

Sigma also has two versions of the 150-600mm lens. The sports version and the contemporary version. Which are very similar with with differences. One difference is the Sport version weighs approx. 2 more lbs than the contemporary.

Contemporary - 4.3 lbs
Elements 20 groups 14
Special elements 1 FLD and 2 SLD
Min. Focus - 2.80 m (110.24″)
Composite with metal sealed mount
Filter - 95mm

Sport 6.31 lb
Elements 24 groups 14
Special elements 2 FLD and 3 SLD
min. focus - 2.60 m (102.36″)
Metal Mount
Filter - 105mm

Reading reviews it appears some people prefer the Sport version as it's suppose to be sharper than the contemporary version. However others are satisfied with the Contemporary version because it's significantly less expensive and does have similar sharpness, etc.

The Sigma Sport version I believe is in competition with Tamrons G2 lens whereas the Contemporary with Tamrons G1?

Here's one comparison review between the Sigma Sport and Contemporary https://improvephotography.com/36962/sigma-150-600mm-sport-vs-contemporary-lens-review/

And a review of the Sigma Sport http://dustinabbott.net/2015/05/sigma-150-600mm-f5-6-3-dg-os-hsm-sport-review/

I'm currently considering purchasing a Sigma 150-600mm lens however I'm undecided weather to spend extra for the Sport version? (either used or new)

The Sigma Sport version has 24 elements in 16 groups, including two FLD (low dispersion elements) similar to fluorite and 3 SLD (special low dispersion) elements for greater contrast and clarity. The aperture iris is a nine rounded-blade design for nicely shaped bokeh highlights even when the lens is stopped down. It does accept standard threaded filters, but at a massive 105mm size.

The less expensive Sigma Contemporary does not share this optical formula, having 20 elements in 14 groups along with fewer of the exotic (and expensive) FLD and SLD elements.

I've found some good deals on use and new Sigma Contemporary lenses but am wondering if I should spend extra dollars for the Sport version?

Currently all my photos are for amateur purposes, in digital form, for myself to view and study from my PC. I haven't done or needed to do any printing.

So I'm trying to find reasons to favor or not to favor the Sigma Sport over the Contemporary version.
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2

Cant give you any reason to buy the sport over the contemporary, as you say the sport is heavier and more expensive, any difference in IQ could easily be lost by technique, camera choice or shooting conditions.

Don't know how young or how fit you are but many have said the sport is ok at the beginning of the day but a real pain by the end.

Another consideration for staying under budget is, i know you are happy with your D80 but you may find the need to increase shutter speed for hand holding will mean a need to raise ISO and in turn this could have an adverse effect on crops, you could easy be looking to upgrade your camera even though you think you will not.

Cant give you any reason to buy the sport over the contemporary, as you say the sport is heavier and more expensive, any difference in IQ could easily be lost by technique, camera choice or shooting conditions.

Don't know how young or how fit you are but many have said the sport is ok at the beginning of the day but a real pain by the end.

I don't think it will be too heavy, as long as I don't need to hold the camera and lens in a single position for a long time.

Decided to go with a gently used Sigma 150-600mm Conventional that bundled with a Sigma 1.4x converter, firmware dock plus all the cases and caps.

The Sigma 150-600mm conventional is for sale on Sigma bundled with their 1.4x converter, which I hope will work ok with my Nikon camera. Some converters don't work or don't work well with some camera and lens combinations.

The firmware dock looks interesting, from what I've read, allows one to configure the lens firmware settings that control sharpness and I think perhaps other lens attributes.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back