• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Essex Kingfishers (1 Viewer)

The Kingfisher again down Stanford Warren.
I think it's been a good year for Green Woodpecker.
There always were a couple at the entrance to TTNP, now they are everywhere; several.
Swallows flying everywhere I ran around TTNP.
A couple Kestrels.

At Stanford Warren; the Kingfisher on the back straight, a Kestrel & Starlings gathering. Along Stanford Wharf, Swallows & House Martins. I think the number has increased as they gather before flying off I assume.

The best Kingfisher views Stanford Warren.
In the distance I saw something splash into the water. It was the Kingfisher diving. It was diving from a height and a distance into the water. I could just hear the splashing noise. Then another called from the lake behind.
Then there was a lot of tutting and they flew past chasing.

The one Kingfisher on Stanford Warren that I assume won the territory.
Another by Mucking Sluice.
A Sparrowhawk chasing Starlings over Thurrock Thameside NP.
Monday there was a Stonechat on the track to the VC.

There is still some light to get down Stanford Warren but it's fading fast.
Yesterday after a Kingfisher in the fading light on the lakes there was a Kingfisher up and over Wharf road when it was almost dark. I just saw it's outline. It was rapidly calling.
This evening it was rapidly calling again on the back straight. The call might be cus it's getting chased.

Stanford Warren lakes. Just before the darkness I had just seen the Kingfisher over the water then it flew past and gave a call.

Struggling to find Kingfisher now the clocks have gone back.
Stanford Warren lakes, just before darkness, the Kingfisher flew past and gave a call.
The Tufted Ducks have arrived, don't know how they can out up with the Coots chasing each other.
The Swans (there were 21) have all separated, feeding alone or in loose pairs.
Cetti's Warblers still calling.
Great!

Finally I saw the Kingfisher at EWT, Langdon Lake.
It had been reported a few times end of last year on EBWS.
I think I saw it in November but it was very brief.

Back down the Stanford Warren.
I had already checked out the creek as it was low tide.
At last light the Kingfisher flew across the fishing lakes and gave a call.
Also noisy Jays, a few calling Cetti's Warblers.
I note SEO's and a Barn Owl have been seen.
Also a report of a Bittern at the Golden Gates.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back