• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Micro Four-Thirds (2 Viewers)

The service center for Olympus Sweden is in Stockholm. First time experience for me, keeping fingers crossed for a smooth and prompt handling.

Yes it is - however, they send the stuff for repairs to Prague. (had the shutter replaced in my E-3 once, and it went to there)

A short update on this. Olympus acknowledged the fault and sent the camera (to Germany, not Czeck Republic) for repair. After ~2 weeks I got a dispatch note from Olympus - I thought for a few moments my camera was back.

The pacel was damaged upon delivery, felt too lightweight compared to what one would expect. A quick inspection showed it had been opened, clumsly re-taped, and as I suspected contained no camera.

So I refused to accept the parcel, asked the Post office to send it back to sender, reported the incident to Olympus and am now in dialogue wiith them how they will resolve the issue.

A short update on this. Olympus acknowledged the fault and sent the camera (to Germany, not Czeck Republic) for repair. After ~2 weeks I got a dispatch note from Olympus - I thought for a few moments my camera was back.

The pacel was damaged upon delivery, felt too lightweight compared to what one would expect. A quick inspection showed it had been opened, clumsly re-taped, and as I suspected contained no camera.

So I refused to accept the parcel, asked the Post office to send it back to sender, reported the incident to Olympus and am now in dialogue wiith them how they will resolve the issue.

Well, I guess this is the ultimate bad luck saga with a camera... I'm sorry for you Tord. The good news is that you will probably end up with a new camera.

Have a good day
Jules

Olympus support (Sweden) have acknowledged the camera body as stolen/missing and have told me it will get replaced with a new one. This however needs to be confirmed/settled by the workshop, responsible for the failed delivery. The workshop is in Germany and it seems it will take some time...

Olympus support (Sweden) have acknowledged the camera body as stolen/missing and have told me it will get replaced with a new one. This however needs to be confirmed/settled by the workshop, responsible for the failed delivery. The workshop is in Germany and it seems it will take some time...

Good news. Be patient.

Hi all

Keeping you updated on the evolution of this topic. There has apparently been a negotiation between Olympus and the courier (DHL, possibly also involving third part/Swedish Postal services) that has taken some time to resolve. I was informed today from Olympus customer service that I will get a new camera from Olympus, I should expect it sometime early next week. (for the record, some 7 weeks after reporting the issue in the first place).

After they accepted by claim, Olympus customer service Sweden have been understanding, responsive and supporting me.

/Tord

Good to hear, but frustrating all the same. Hopefully you will get it before the birds start migrating.....SOUTH!
Yes, frustrating. The right way would have been to immediately replace the camera and not blame it on third part.

There are still quite a few weeks left of this spring 2013 before the action will slow down so hopefully I will be able to have some results to share with you soon. Regardless, there are more seasons ahead of us and in between is the autumn migration in aug/sep that can be quite spectacular at times.

We went to our usual haunts yesterday in hopes of seeing our Kingfisher friends. Absolutely NOTHING going on. Saw one swan and one mallard. No idea where everyone has got to....didn't even unpack my camera!
:-C

We went to our usual haunts yesterday in hopes of seeing our Kingfisher friends. Absolutely NOTHING going on. Saw one swan and one mallard. No idea where everyone has got to....didn't even unpack my camera!
:-C
Sorry to read about that, reading about your preparations for this season. I cannot complain myself. Quite many birds have been around the past weeks. I am quite surprised, being prepared that this harsh winter and late spring would have put things to a halt but that is not the case. I have spotted and managed to get decent photographs of (for me) new species, the late vegetation certainly helped. And also the SW helped a lot in getting decent results (first season I am using it, should have looked at this forum earlier...)

One thing I noticed was that the water level was a good bit higher than it was last summer, and it was a bit windy. Who knows? Anyway...it is off to Scotland (Skye and Lewis/Harris) for two weeks on Monday, then after a few days home, it's off to the North Sea again, so I won't be hanging around here much until the beginning of July. Hopefully getting pictures though. Won't take my SW to Scotland, but I will take my Nikkor 400/5.6 with a Nikkor 2x TC and an Oly 1.4 TC (EC14) to go on my E-30. The D7000 will stay home...maybe. Only room for one body, really. But I will for sure have the SW at the North Sea. Looking foreward to that! Bird City up there... o:D

I have been following this thread with interest. Does anybody else think that the new Olympus PEN E-P5 should make a cracking camera for digiscoping? It has all the qualities of the OM-D but without the built-in electronic viewfinder, saving bulk, and also includes focus peaking which should be very useful. The only drawback I can see is the price!

Ron

Last edited:
I have been following this thread with interest. Does anybody else think that the new Olympus PEN E-P5 should make a cracking camera for digiscoping? It has all the qualities of the OM-D but without the built-in electronic viewfinder, saving bulk, and also includes focus peaking which should be very useful. The only drawback I can see is the price!

Ron

Lacking a viewfinder is a NO-NO for me, no matter how good the camera is - for me, an add-on viewfinder is not a good solution and it makes the camera very expensive. IMO, get an OM-D or wait for the next crop in the Fall if you want an Olympus camera. The new OM-D EM-6 should be a winner - the rumors talk about an improved viewfinder, PDAF plus all the new features of the E-P5. I see nothing wrong with the viewfinder on my OM-D but Phase detection Auto Focus would be a winner and focus peaking a bonus.

You may also want to look at the Panasonic G5 that sells for peanuts or the new G6. They both have an electronic shutter option which should help for digiscoping and I believe that the G6 has focus peaking (not sure).

Regards
Jules

Last edited:
Lacking a viewfinder is a NO-NO for me, no matter how good the camera is. IMO, get an OM-D or wait for the next crop in the Fall if you want an Olympus camera. The new OM-D EM-6 should be a winner.

You may also want to look at the Panasonic G5 that sells for peanuts or the new G6. They both have an electronic shutter option which should help for digiscoping and I believe that the G6 has focus peaking (not sure).

Regards
Jules
Hi Jules. I was thinking about the PEN E-P5 purely as a camera for digiscoping, when the rear LCD is more useful than a viewfinder (or is it?)

I have tried digiscoping in the past and have no plans to return to it. I am still using Olympus 4/3 gear and hope that Olympus will eventually produce the rumoured camera which will allow me to use my existing lenses, while providing fast and accurate focusing. The EM-5 is a lovely little camera but it's not for me, I'm afraid.

Regards
Ron

Hi Jules. I was thinking about the PEN E-P5 purely as a camera for digiscoping, when the rear LCD is more useful than a viewfinder (or is it?)

I have tried digiscoping in the past and have no plans to return to it. I am still using Olympus 4/3 gear and hope that Olympus will eventually produce the rumoured camera which will allow me to use my existing lenses, while providing fast and accurate focusing. The EM-5 is a lovely little camera but it's not for me, I'm afraid.

Regards
Ron

Hi Ron,

Please note I have made modifications to my last post while you were writing yours.

I used the word "digiscoping" in a generic sense that includes prime focus "astro-scoping".

Personnaly, I only use the LCD for casual family photos inside. The lack of a good viewfinder is a deal breaker for me. I hate looking at images washed out by the sun...

I don't think Oly will come out with a camera that accomodates both 4/3 and M4/3. They are not known for a company that cares about backward compatibility. I think that they would rather see you buy new lenses than use the old ones you already have. Also, it would make the camera bigger and heavier.

Regarding the OM-D, yes it is a "lovely little camera". However, it is still the best M4/3 stills camera available for now. I purchased it because I was tired of carrying big heavy equipment. I got a shock when I first handled the diminutive camera but I got used to it and there is no way I would go back. Like all cameras, it has its weaknesses, mainly 1- lack of a small spot auto focus point 2- CDAF only.

Regards
Jules

Regards
Ron
Hi Ron,

Well, I think you should view our "astroscoping" as closer related to using a MF supertelephoto lens attached to a DSLR than to digiscoping. (Another name I have seen used is "prime focusing" since the image is projected directly on the camera sensor.

Were you using a spotting scope with eyepiece when you tried DS? What scope/ocular/camera did you use? I started this way, got some quite good results, but nothing in parity with my astroscoping results.

I have several Zuiko lenses and also a Bigma but almost stopped using them for bird and wildlife photography, except when on travel/field when portability is critical or in those rare occasions when subjects don't fit in the frame.

(Already said before) One of the great assets with the EM5 is the electronic viewfinder that will render a bright image regardless of light conditions, furthermore you can program the EM5 to display a magnified image upon half-press of the shutter button. Great feature to assess focus in poor light.

Another great feature is the ability to take pictures with a gentle touch on the LCD. Really useful when shake blur starts to be a concern and you need to lock the tripod and should avoid holding the camera.

Hello Tord. Nice to communicate with you on this forum for a change.

My efforts at digiscoping were rather half-hearted. I used a Nikon ED50, with a 20x MC wide eyepiece. The camera was a Fuji F30 compact. I found that focusing was rather difficult and the whole process was somewhat cumbersome. I am much happier with my DSLR, especially as I can use it hand held and never carry a tripod (that is probably why I end up with so many blurred photos ;) ).

'Astroscoping' sounds like a much better proposition than digiscoping and some of the results which I have seen from you and others are stunning. However, I prefer to go for a walk to look at birds and photographing them comes second. I don't wish to be hampered by large scopes and tripods. Keep up the good work, though. It is nice to see the boundaries being pushes.

Regards
Ron

Does anybody else think that the new Olympus PEN E-P5 should make a cracking camera for digiscoping?

Ron

I do too. Actually it’s one of my favorite cameras at this point for digiscoping.
Some strong points for me:
- Focus peaking is one of the best available (similar to Fuji and Pentax), and it has two very useful colors.
- IBIS, obviously.
- External EVF. Altough the external EVF sounds bad at first with the bulk and extra expense, it has two good points, is tiltable, witch for me would be extremely useful, and it’s big, bigger than any built-in EVF. And big means better optics than built in VFs.

For me the only two downsides of this camera, is the price, is just my opinion but I think is extremely expensive for what it is, specially with the EVF. The other is no possibility of using an external flash together with the EVF, that’s the main point for me, and the reason I’m not getting one.

The new G6 also looks good, the EVF is better than the last one (witch was already very decent) and has peaking…and is cheap too. A very good choice IMO.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back