• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Green Cay / Wakodahatchee wetlands (1 Viewer)

I cant say I have noticed you guys at GC or Wako....I live in miami-dade so I do not frequent these places too much. I am a very easy person to recognize because I use a wheelchair and am missing an arm and leg and carry my binoculars all around. I was there yesterday and spoke to a lovely couple they helped me identify the Limpkin that was in front of me. If you have noticed me or notice me in the future feel free to say Hi...my name is Robert.

I can't say I've seen you around, but I'll keep an eye out. I'm a regular there - but 99.9% of the time on weekends only, as my 9-5 job keeps me busy during the week. I'm usually there every weekend at least one of the days, even through the heat of the summer, unless I'm away from town. I tend to be a social photographer - in that I'll say hi to everyone, then let them decide whether to reciprocate...some photographers or birders just like to be in their zone and don't talk, and others don't mind a little chat, so I take no offense either way and let them decide. By being the first to say hello, I've put the ball in their court. I do tend to be a slow and observant birder, and talk quietly and appropriately - I have always been a decent spotter, so often I'll help out birders who don't know where or what to look for.

tree and bulos, I'll look for you as well. I sometimes go on Fridays so I may have seen Paul.

tree, I was down in Miami-Dade area this weekend with very little luck (Matheson Hammock and A.D. Barnes). Do you have a favorite birding spot down there that you could recommend?

Hey Merry I usually go on the weekends too but take advantage on my off days and go weekdays. I usually go to A.D. barnes park (its almost always a sure shot there) also I like to drive by the cutler wetlands periodically. I have heard of the Red Whiskered bulbul being around Baptist Hospital on Kendall Drive so I drive through there sometimes but am yet to spot one. Everglades National Park is a hot spot as well......hope to see you all soon!

Thanks! I will check out Cutler. I've heard about the hospital but have yet to try it.

I was at AD Barnes on Sunday and all I got was a Red Shouldered Hawk (but a nice one) and a busted window :(

Be careful at A.D. Barnes. Do not leave anything visible!

There are several interesting wintering birds in the hammock at A.D. Barnes Park currently, including Worm-eating Warbler, Magnolia Warbler, Black-throated Blue Warbler, and Summer Tanager along with Broad-winged Hawk, Northern Parula, Yellow-throated Warbler, Black-and-white Warbler, and the other usuals.

Carlos

Yes - I had forgotten I had a purse on the floor of the backseat.

The good news = I had forgotten because I almost never use it. All they got for their trouble was a handful of lip glosses and a hairbrush :) The park service there was very helpful. It was my own fault and no big deal.

I'll try to go back when there isn't a concert going on. Hopefully a lot more will be about then.

Thanks! I will check out Cutler. I've heard about the hospital but have yet to try it.

I was at AD Barnes on Sunday and all I got was a Red Shouldered Hawk (but a nice one) and a busted window :(

Did you get some nice shots of the window? I've seen a few of them at GC too! I'd love to encounter some of these jerks.

Oooh, cool thread!
How are the baby herons at Wako doing/ Haven't been there in a few days. Should've gone, since it's a weekday. Perhaps after work tomorrow.
I was stopping by still dressed in my postal uniform. it's cool that very few people mention my attire :) At other locales it always drums up unwanted conversations about the po. So I'm going to change outfits from now on!
How is the young hawk at GC?

I'd love to have speedwalking banned at these places. And those women who walk around griping that some fo the animals (mainly turtles) are ugly.
Go to the mall and walk! My God!

And a question: What are those little birds that practically fly into you when you are there in the morning? Some kind of swift or swallow? Thanks.

Last edited:
Hey Sydsmythe!

There are (to my knowledge) Tree Swallows and Rough-winged Swallows, and Purple Martins are returning. They practically dive bomb you, and refuse to sit for photos :(.

The babies at Wako are doing great - I was there Sunday but didn't stop long at the nesting sites (too crowded and looking for Bitterns).

hi

Oooh, cool thread!
How are the baby herons at Wako doing/ Haven't been there in a few days. Should've gone, since it's a weekday. Perhaps after work tomorrow.
I was stopping by still dressed in my postal uniform. it's cool that very few people mention my attire :) At other locales it always drums up unwanted conversations about the po. So I'm going to change outfits from now on!
How is the young hawk at GC?

I'd love to have speedwalking banned at these places. And those women who walk around griping that some fo the animals (mainly turtles) are ugly.
Go to the mall and walk! My God!

And a question: What are those little birds that practically fly into you when you are there in the morning? Some kind of swift or swallow? Thanks.

I think I saw you last week as the sun was setting at Wako I was in the back shooting Sora waiting for a Virginia Rail that stood me up. I noticed you searching the reeds wanted to say something to you but you looked like you didn't want to be bothered which is somethibng I totally understand when out shooting so I thought to myself perhaps next time. So a belated hi.

Virginia rail is becoming quite the phantom bogey - just about everyone is trying to get a sighting of it, if it's even still around...but no joy so far for me.

Baby herons are doing very well as of Sunday - I watched the ones around to the left (counterclockwise) at the first island for quite a while - the two on the end nest, with the injured heron parent, were very active, moving all about the nest, and the branch above, flapping their little winglets, and chirping up a storm for food. The ones when you first come in, at the first island, were mostly staying low in the nest - mom and dad seem to have made that nest just low enough in the branches to hinder photographers a bit, so the other island works out better if you've got a longer lens. The final island, around to the right, didn't have any baby herons that I could see yet - just the anhingas...but there are a few GBHs nested there. On Sunday, a limpkin stayed on that island for quite a while, and seemed to be forming a nest, or staking out a tree for itself - I have never seen a limpkin nesting at Wako within sight of the Boardwalk, so that would be a nice treat if it does.

Confirmed on the kamikazee birds - mostly tree swallows and northern-rough-winged swallows. They don't make it easy to shoot them as they really move fast and constant, but I managed to get a few as they darted past, enough to get IDs on them:

Here's one of the northern rough-winged swallows:
http://www.pbase.com/zackiedawg/image/131317709/original

And the tree swallows:
http://www.pbase.com/zackiedawg/image/132370868/original

http://www.pbase.com/zackiedawg/image/132370869/original

Virginia rail is becoming quite the phantom bogey - just about everyone is trying to get a sighting of it, if it's even still around...but no joy so far for me.

I got a few shots about 2 weeks ago.

Attachments

• v rail2.jpg
    v rail2.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 89
Zackiedawg-Thanks for the directions! I saw male and female buntings the first time I went this weekend. I'm back home now, but I got lots of great pictures.

Bulos, Darn you lucky dog...I cannot seem to get him to come out for me. Where were you when you spotted him that time?

Cardamom - glad to hear you got to see the buntings - they've been solid and reliable there lately but I'm always worried if I tell someone where to see them, that'll be the day they don't show up!

I think I saw you last week as the sun was setting at Wako I was in the back shooting Sora waiting for a Virginia Rail that stood me up. I noticed you searching the reeds wanted to say something to you but you looked like you didn't want to be bothered which is somethibng I totally understand when out shooting so I thought to myself perhaps next time. So a belated hi.

Was likely me. Another postwoman from Boca goes there once in a while. She is blond, as I was a month ago. Now I have dark hair and I wear good ole Doc Marten boots or shoes (yes, I only buy the ones that are made in England..pip pip!) and black leggings. But I'm probably going to change clothes after work.
In any case, say hi! Just don't talk about the p.o. :C

Thanks, zackie.
I went out to Wako this afternnoon and watched 2 little greens working on their nest, close to the boardwalk but behind a tree.
One of the regulars said it's the same place as last year. So cute to watch him pick out the proper twigs.

Must be the one around to the counterclockwise direction, just after the levee, down low on the right side. There is a green heron family that nested there last year and had 3 chicks...I watched them from nest building through the hatch and watched the chicks grow up and leave the nest.

They're going a little early this year - last year they didn't lay eggs until April. Warm weather likely has them a bit ahead of schedule.

I'm not surprised she's gone back to that spot again...though last year, mom had to fight off a snake who tried to get in on the eggs.

It was nice being able to get such a close view of the nest:
http://www.pbase.com/zackiedawg/image/123844885/original

And the chicks:
http://www.pbase.com/zackiedawg/image/124198960/original

And watching the chicks grow:
http://www.pbase.com/zackiedawg/image/124837946/original

http://www.pbase.com/zackiedawg/image/124837962/original

Was likely me. Another postwoman from Boca goes there once in a while. She is blond, as I was a month ago. Now I have dark hair and I wear good ole Doc Marten boots or shoes (yes, I only buy the ones that are made in England..pip pip!) and black leggings. But I'm probably going to change clothes after work.
In any case, say hi! Just don't talk about the p.o. :C

Yes it was you the leggings caught my attention.woo woo woo

Bulos, Darn you lucky dog...I cannot seem to get him to come out for me. Where were you when you spotted him that time?

Cardamom - glad to hear you got to see the buntings - they've been solid and reliable there lately but I'm always worried if I tell someone where to see them, that'll be the day they don't show up!

In the back on the west side

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back