• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Why are you keeping your 7x binoculars? (1 Viewer)

spiralcoil

Although it may not be a new topic, though it seems to be less interest in the using of 7x binoculars in the modern days... as Swarovski, Zeiss do not offer 7x binos on their new lines, as well Leica's new Trinovid also dropped 7x...

I'd be interested to hear from those still have the 7x binos, why they like it, and what mostly they use their 7x binos for? ;)

I suspect the reason is similar to why one would keep their Prius rather than a gas guzzling muscle car. It does exactly what they need.

Why it doesn't matter much - I took my 7x42 out the other day for a shorebird chase. Well wife had 7x42 and I had the 8x32. We were looking at Western Sandpiper sized birds at a distance probably between 200 and 500 m. There was very little difference if any and the 7x42 lacked absolutely nothing but was a joy to use.

Some manufacturers have commented here that the market demands big magnification even though these manufacturers know that lower magnification has many benefits. They still have to cater to demand. Fortunately options remain.

I use my 7x42 ultravids at my bird feeders. The feeders are close so a lot of magnification is not needed and the depth of field means less focusing. I have 8x32 ultravids and 10x32 ultravids and several pairs of Zeiss so I do have choices but the depth of field of the 7x42 is real nice at my feeders. chip

I think 6.5x32 may be the new 7x42.

Many Birders find that the latest optical coatings mean dropping size and weight to 32mm binoculars is no longer the loss in quality it once was.

Absolutely love my 6.5x32 Viking MD and will never sell it.

My 7x42 FLs are my main binocular. My local patch is parkland with lots of trees, and I'm often looking at small, fast-moving, arboreal passerines (warblers, flycatchers etc) and the wide field of view, excellent depth of field and exceptional light gathering of the FLs does exactly what I need.

The light gathering ability of the 7x42 FLs is also a bonus for getting detail on birds that are flying over and would often just be a silhouette with other formats.

My other pair of bins are a pair of Trinovid 10x32 BNs which are great for overseas travelling. Now my rule of thumb is: if I travel by aeroplane (and thus need to pack light hand luggage) I take the 10x32, but if I am travelling by road/rail I will take the 7x42.

Last edited:
My main pair is a 7x36. As compact as many x32s but with a 5mm EP. The FOV of most 7x is no wider than the equivalent 8x but the greater DOF and even steadier view make for more relaxed viewing.

My ageing eyes are still pretty sharp, but no longer have the focal range they once had and that may be part of the explanation. Rightly or wrongly, I just feel I see more stuff with a 7x than an 8x. The Nikon EDG 7x42 probably wows me the most of any model I've tried, but even if I had the cash for it I reckon the 7x36 would probably get more outings.

David

I tried that Opticron 7x36 at my local dealer, very nice indeed, but then the Bga line up are fine optics generally.

Ditto what typo said!::t:
I have 5 binos on hand and three are 7x and trying to add more 7x.
I hunt open and forested terrain, day hike, recreational wildlife observation, and now back yard bird. They do everything i do well.

cg

I have three bins that I use on a regular basis. Two of the three are 7x. The wider field of view coupled with the increased depth of field makes them a pure joy to use.

I realize why manufacturers aren't producing them much anymore but sometimes folks don't know what they are missing out on.

Ive got 8x43 bins and 6x32. Except for the lower magnification really prefer to use the 6x32's

Searched for 7X either with either a 32 or 42 objective lens. Just could not determine which to pick. Any suggestions without going to an alpha bin would be appreciated.

Ive got 8x43 bins and 6x32. Except for the lower magnification really prefer to use the 6x32's

Searched for 7X either with either a 32 or 42 objective lens. Just could not determine which to pick. Any suggestions without going to an alpha bin would be appreciated.

Look into Leupold's 7 x42 Hawthorne which replaced it's BX-2 with a fully-multicoated version. The BX-2 was very good for it's price.

Bob

Some manufacturers have commented here that the market demands big magnification even though these manufacturers know that lower magnification has many benefits. They still have to cater to demand. Fortunately options remain.

I think this is characteristic for today's marketing strategy:

"We have to satisfy customer's demands even when these demands are unsound".

It happens so because nowadays the marketing guys and not the technicians define the meaning of progress. As a result, mainstream that sells easiest remains, interesting, useful but less popular products disappear.

There are alternatives: A manufacturer should take his duties serious and explain his products to the customer. A well written technical brochure should explain concepts like depth of field, the influence of hand shake on binocular performance, how exit pupil size is connected to low light performance and other aspects. In this way, the existence of 7x or even 6x binoculars could easily be justified.

But marketing guys don't know about these concepts, they seem to believe that a silly customer is a better customer, and prefer colorful pictures and buzzwords instead of serious information. This way, of course, it is easy to sell "more power = more performance" without any need to use the brain ...

Cheers,
Holger

It happens so because nowadays the marketing guys and not the technicians define the meaning of progress. As a result, mainstream that sells easiest remains, interesting, useful but less popular products disappear.

There are alternatives: A manufacturer should take his duties serious and explain his products to the customer. A well written technical brochure should explain concepts like depth of field, the influence of hand shake on binocular performance, how exit pupil size is connected to low light performance and other aspects. In this way, the existence of 7x or even 6x binoculars could easily be justified.

But marketing guys don't know about these concepts, they seem to believe that a silly customer is a better customer, and prefer colorful pictures and buzzwords instead of serious information. This way, of course, it is easy to sell "more power = more performance" without any need to use the brain ...

Cheers,
Holger

Nope. I just buy what I like.

Signed, a "silly customer," who dang darn darnit is gonna buy what he likes!!

Good luck with the crusade,

Mark

Cheers,
Holger

I agree with you Holger. But rather than call them "silly customers" I would suggest that they are "uniformed" customers who rely on the internet to get their information.

I believe that opinions gathered from the internet sway customers; and marketers in turn use these opinions to help make their marketing decisions.

The subject of how the internet and the media determine how we think should be a mandatory subject discussed in all our schools and colleges but that is not likely because the people who work there are in the marketing business themselves.

350 years ago Pascal said that "Opinion governs the world." Not much has changed.

Bob

Last edited:
I agree with you Holger.

I also believe that opinions gathered from the internet also sway customers; and marketers, in turn, use these opinions to help make their decisions.

350 years ago Pascal said: "Opinions govern the world." The only thing that has changed is that they have become easier to spread around.

Bob

So I guess my opinion counts as much as any. Problem solved.

Mark

I agree with you Holger. But rather than call them "silly customers" I would suggest that they are "uniformed" customers who rely on the internet to get their information.

I believe that opinions gathered from the internet sway customers; and marketers in turn use these opinions to help make their marketing decisions.

The subject of how the internet and the media determine how we think should be a mandatory subject discussed in all our schools and colleges but that is not likely because the people who work there are in the marketing business themselves.

350 years ago Pascal said that "Opinion governs the world." Not much has changed.

Bob

Yeah, edit it after the fact. Classy.

The theme of this post is why are you keeping your 7x, I`m not sure it was posted so it could descend into a debate about whether 7 or 8 x users are more or less "silly".

I use an 8x32SE as my main optic, would I prefer it to be a 7x35SE ?, you bet.

If, I stump up for a new "Alpha" it will be a 7x42 or I`ll not bother.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back