• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon P5000 (1 Viewer)

buzzard12

Link here to the press release for the new Nikon P5000. Will retail from end of March, cost at 329 pounds sterling. (around 489 euros)

Claims for ISO 3200 can probably be taken with a pinch of salt as regards digiscoping, however looks very interesting.

Would be interested in hearing from anyone who gets to test the model for Digiscoping...

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0702/07022006_nikonP5000.asp

Last edited:
buzzard12 said:
Link here to the press release for the new Nikon P5000. Will retail from end of March, cost at 329 pounds sterling. (around 489 euros)

Claims for ISO 3200 can probably be taken with a pinch of salt as regards digiscoping, however looks very interesting.

Would be interested in hearing from anyone who gets to test the model for Digiscoping...

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0702/07022006_nikonP5000.asp

If you're going to buy one Alan, to test out and let us know how good it is, get it via "pricerunner, co uk" there are several advertising it just below £280 ;)

Seriously, it sounds like a good camera, the main thing that concerns me is whether it's just a higher Mpix P3 - 4, (the lens and many other things are the same), and these turned out to be very hit and miss cameras.

I'm sure we will all be looking for reviews on it and post anything we come across.

Best wishes from Cornwall

John

john-henry said:
If you're going to buy one Alan, to test out and let us know how good it is, get it via "pricerunner, co uk" there are several advertising it just below £280 ;)

Seriously, it sounds like a good camera, the main thing that concerns me is whether it's just a higher Mpix P3 - 4, (the lens and many other things are the same), and these turned out to be very hit and miss cameras.

I'm sure we will all be looking for reviews on it and post anything we come across.

Best wishes from Cornwall

John

Wondering about the battery life as well, 250 pictures is not a whole lot on a target rich day out!!
Will wait and get some feedback before taking the plunge on this one.

All the best John...

I think it should be a good camera for digiscoping - zoom is not too large, it supports high iso and VR and accepts external lenses.
I've already ordered one for testing, and should have it within a couple of weeks.
I'll upload a test report when I'll get it.
I don't think battery life should be an issue, as if it's found to be a suitable camera for digiscoping, one should buy a couple more batteries.

It would be helpful for all of us if you could do a comparison with the p5000 to some of the other digitals out there...N2, F30, P4, A640 when you get it and try it out. I'm in the market, just about ready to buy. So I think I might hold off just a little longer.
JD

yossi said:
I think it should be a good camera for digiscoping - zoom is not too large, it supports high iso and VR and accepts external lenses.
I've already ordered one for testing, and should have it within a couple of weeks.
I'll upload a test report when I'll get it.
I don't think battery life should be an issue, as if it's found to be a suitable camera for digiscoping, one should buy a couple more batteries.

Great news Yossi, many of us will be eagerly awaiting your report, especially as we know from your previous threads it will be totally unbiased, unlike some commercial reviews.

Best regards

John

john-henry said:
Great news Yossi, many of us will be eagerly awaiting your report, especially as we know from your previous threads it will be totally unbiased, unlike some commercial reviews.

Best regards

John

Likewise Yossi..

Ps; Thanks John for the input...

Ps; Would you be the bearded individual I first met on Porthgwarra of open hand who first made me feel welcome as an Irish birder in Cornwall and later met so many times around Marazion, Cot Valley, Sennen and Lands End etc

Getting a P5000 in about a month. I've seen samples at various ISO settings and am quite impressed.

ISO 100 and less - Very Good
ISO 200 - Very Good - minor graininess
ISO 400 - Good - minor colour loss; increased graininess
ISO 800 - Fair - more colour loss; graininess; but uncropped pictures very workable
ISO 1600 - Fair - very grainy; but good for ID shot
ISO 3200 - Fair - Better colour than ISO 1600; watercolour effect as opposed to graininess; actually looks useful unlike many other cameras.

Out of camera pictures are a bit soft so PP sharpening will likely be required for bird pics.

rka said:
Getting a P5000 in about a month. I've seen samples at various ISO settings and am quite impressed.

ISO 100 and less - Very Good
ISO 200 - Very Good - minor graininess
ISO 400 - Good - minor colour loss; increased graininess
ISO 800 - Fair - more colour loss; graininess; but uncropped pictures very workable
ISO 1600 - Fair - very grainy; but good for ID shot
ISO 3200 - Fair - Better colour than ISO 1600; watercolour effect as opposed to graininess; actually looks useful unlike many other cameras.

Out of camera pictures are a bit soft so PP sharpening will likely be required for bird pics.

Hi All
Right just picked up a Nikon P5000, just had a tinker with it straight out of the box.

I can report that for all those Leica Televid users that bought the Digital Adapter 2, as I did!! the P5000 will not fit into it :h?:

But Nikon do produce a UR-E20 adapter that has the 28mm thread on the end that fits the eagle-eye digiscoping adapter, which I also had from the days of owning a Nikon Coolpix 995. So any adapter suited to the Coolpix 990,995,4500 with the 28mm thread will probably work.

Initial thoughts are that the camera is well made, button lay-out is similar to that of the DSLR's that Nikon make, so if you use the Nikon range of DSLR's it feels familiar. Nikon have alse incorperated a hotshoe to use with their Speedlight flash system, another good move, especially if the wireless SB-800 or SU-800 can be used, need to RFM on that though!!

Glad to see a view finder on a digital camera these days, dispite the fact it is only small, much better than trying to line up a scenic shot looking at an LCD screen on a bright day.

Will try and post some digiscoped shots over the next few days.

Hope these first thoughts help

Dougie ;) ;)

Last edited:
Dougie said:
Hi All
Right just picked up a Nikon P5000, just had a tinker with it straight out of the box.

I can report that for all those Leica Televid users that bought the Digital Adapter 2, as I did!! the P5000 will not fit into it :h?:

But Nikon do produce a UR-E20 adapter that has the 28mm thread on the end that fits the eagle-eye digiscoping adapter, which I also had from the days of owning a Nikon Coolpix 995. So any adapter suited to the Coolpix 990,995,4500 with the 28mm thread will probably work.

Initial thoughts are that the camera is well made, button lay-out is similar to that of the DSLR's that Nikon make, so if you use the Nikon range of DSLR's it feels familiar. Nikon have alse incorperated a hotshoe to use with their Speedlight flash system, another good move, especially if the wireless SB-800 or SU-800 can be used, need to RFM on that though!!

Glad to see a view finder on a digital camera these days, dispite the fact it is only small, much better than trying to line up a scenic shot looking at an LCD screen on a bright day.

Will try and post some digiscoped shots over the next few days.

Hope these first thoughts help

Dougie ;) ;)

Hi Again
Tried some test shots today using the Nikon P5000 in conjunction with the Leica Televid 77 APO scope and 20X eye-piece.

I have attached some cropped examples of the tests to show various ASA settings and noise levels, I know there is a lot of talk over noise levels in various cameras, but I can only compare with the Leica D-Lux2 which I also own. I have to say the Nikon P5000 shows the Leica D-Lux2 a clean set of heels in the noise department even set at 800 ASA shows better results than the D-Lux2 set at its maximum 400 ASA

Apologies for the slight vignetting in the original test attachment, that was my fault, zoom was set at default or as it is when you first switch the camera on, as ever the zoom needs to be set at about 1X's to avoid vignetting.
Camera setup was macro, aperture priorty and pretty much standard mode for the ASA test shots.

I have used the custom settings of which there are plenty Portrait, More Vivid, Vivid, Softer, Normal, B&W, Custom.
In custom mode you can alter contrast, Image Sharpness, and Saturation, I found using this custom settings most usful for obtaining best results, settings are as follows

Contrast +2 High
Image Sharpening +1 Medium High
Saturation +1 Enhanced

Sort of has that Fuji Velvia punch to the picture in these settings, but might be a little too much for birding shots, but made old Micky Mouse subject stand out.

I have posted Original picture then crops of 64, 400, 800, 1600 ASA examples, I am only allowed to post 5 pictures so will update whenever I can

Oh just remembered the SU-800 wireless flash controller doesn't work on this camera, SB-800 Speedlight works fine, but SB-800 Speedlight is bigger than the camera!!! and sort of looked stupid, so maybe the SB-400 would be the way to go. :brains:

Thanks Dougie

Attachments

• Original ASA Test.jpg
    Original ASA Test.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 395
  • ASA 64.jpg
    ASA 64.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 392
  • ASA 400.jpg
    ASA 400.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 302
  • ASA 800.jpg
    ASA 800.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 282
  • ASA 1600.jpg
    ASA 1600.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 345
Last edited:
I had the opportunity to try the P5000 in a store. I thought the pictures were good through glass to the outside of the store (they wouldn't let me take it outside) and I had no vignetting problems with only a slight zoom, so had room to zoom in and out if I wanted. Because it was a store and this camera is just out, they did not want me to "hog" the camera so unfortunately I did not try it out for long.

The one thing I did not like is that the button that takes the picture (I know it must have a name!) was hard to push. I have tried some cameras that easily took a picture and was easier to handhold without shake.

The camera does have aperature and shutter settings and a manual mode. I also has a viewfinder.

My impression is that it will definitely be a good digiscope camera. I urge some of the people that post regularly on this site to try one out. I still haven't been able to try the F30, so can't compare. I know people like the burst mode and I didn't see one on the Nikon.

I'm still waiting to make decisions on the "best" digiscope camera for me. As I stated in an earlier post, I am dabbling with the Olympus 720SW that I just happened to have since I bought it for underwater photos for Hawaii. I'm getting better with it, but it really is not the best camera for digiscoping since it doesn't have any settings (aperature, shutter or manual modes). It really does take practice and see my improvement.

Thanks for all the input in your posts. You really make a difference for new digiscopers just starting out.

JD

Last edited:
Dougie said:
Hi Again
Tried some test shots today using the Nikon P5000 in conjunction with the Leica Televid 77 APO scope and 20X eye-piece.

I have attached some cropped examples of the tests to show various ASA settings and noise levels, I know there is a lot of talk over noise levels in various cameras, but I can only compare with the Leica D-Lux2 which I also own. I have to say the Nikon P5000 shows the Leica D-Lux2 a clean set of heels in the noise department even set at 800 ASA shows better results than the D-Lux2 set at its maximum 400 ASA

Apologies for the slight vignetting in the original test attachment, that was my fault, zoom was set at default or as it is when you first switch the camera on, as ever the zoom needs to be set at about 1X's to avoid vignetting.
Camera setup was macro, aperture priorty and pretty much standard mode for the ASA test shots.

I have used the custom settings of which there are plenty Portrait, More Vivid, Vivid, Softer, Normal, B&W, Custom.
In custom mode you can alter contrast, Image Sharpness, and Saturation, I found using this custom settings most usful for obtaining best results, settings are as follows

Contrast +2 High
Image Sharpening +1 Medium High
Saturation +1 Enhanced

Sort of has that Fuji Velvia punch to the picture in these settings, but might be a little too much for birding shots, but made old Micky Mouse subject stand out.

I have posted Original picture then crops of 64, 400, 800, 1600 ASA examples, I am only allowed to post 5 pictures so will update whenever I can

Oh just remembered the SU-800 wireless flash controller doesn't work on this camera, SB-800 Speedlight works fine, but SB-800 Speedlight is bigger than the camera!!! and sort of looked stupid, so maybe the SB-400 would be the way to go. :brains:

Thanks Dougie

Thanks for your useful info Dougie, many of us are waiting for opinions on the p5000, as it seems to hold a lot of good digiscoping features.

Iso seems OK, any opinions on lens sharpness and speed of focus please, also according to its specs it has a burst rate of 0.8 fps this seems a bit slow and I'm wondering if this is a typo error and it should be 1.8 fps, the same as the P3.

Thanks again

John

The results of the hi-iso noise levels test is very good. At 1600, it's very easy to get rid of the noise by software.
I should get mine in a few days, and can't wait...
Thanks Dougie for sharing.

john-henry said:
Thanks for your useful info Dougie, many of us are waiting for opinions on the p5000, as it seems to hold a lot of good digiscoping features.

Iso seems OK, any opinions on lens sharpness and speed of focus please, also according to its specs it has a burst rate of 0.8 fps this seems a bit slow and I'm wondering if this is a typo error and it should be 1.8 fps, the same as the P3.

Thanks again

John

Not a typo it is indeed 0.8 fps yes a bit slow cosidering the camera does not shot in TIFF, RAW or NEFF.
As for sharpness seems OK to me, but just about to go out and try digiscoping in the field with the P5000 so might post some results later if I get anything.
Must say that I am impressed by the transfer rate that the camera uploads images to my PC via USB cable even using USB 1
Only things I'd wish to see added to the camera for the moment are:-

Electronic cable release port (something better than the hit and miss one used for CP995 -CP4500)
Manual Focusing
NEFF or RAW file shooting mode
WI-FI file transfer
External DC power connection

Other than the above that would be nice features for the camera if added, I am so far happy with it.
I will try and report back on battery life today, the battery has had a couple of carge cycles now and should give me a true reflection on how long it lasts when left on.

Catch you all later Dougie

Dougie said:
Not a typo it is indeed 0.8 fps yes a bit slow cosidering the camera does not shot in TIFF, RAW or NEFF.
As for sharpness seems OK to me, but just about to go out and try digiscoping in the field with the P5000 so might post some results later if I get anything.
Must say that I am impressed by the transfer rate that the camera uploads images to my PC via USB cable even using USB 1
Only things I'd wish to see added to the camera for the moment are:-

Electronic cable release port (something better than the hit and miss one used for CP995 -CP4500)
Manual Focusing
NEFF or RAW file shooting mode
WI-FI file transfer
External DC power connection

Other than the above that would be nice features for the camera if added, I am so far happy with it.
I will try and report back on battery life today, the battery has had a couple of carge cycles now and should give me a true reflection on how long it lasts when left on.

Catch you all later Dougie

Thanks Dougie,
It certainly pays to hear about a camera from someone who's go it, one review site says it has got manual focus and another that it has a DC-in port, you don't really know where you are with them unless they do a full review of something.
Look forward to hearing how you got on today.

Regards

John

john-henry said:
Thanks Dougie,
It certainly pays to hear about a camera from someone who's go it, one review site says it has got manual focus and another that it has a DC-in port, you don't really know where you are with them unless they do a full review of something.
Look forward to hearing how you got on today.

Regards

John

Hi Again
In answer to the question on manual focus, I have looked through the instruction manual and no mention of being able to manual focus, what you can do is is manually select which focusing sensor you wish to use, i.e. if the subject you wish to be in focus is off to the left of the framed picture then you can manually select left focusing sensor to ensure the subject is in focus.

As for the external DC port, there is a small rubber flap, that when lifted reveals the side of the battery, I am assuming now!!, but I think the AC adapter kit which is available has some sort of dummy battery that you put into the camera, and the rubber flap is lifted to allow the cable from the AC adapter to run into the camera. There is no other external plugging point for DC power as with the Coolpix 995, 4500.
But having said that the battery power on this camera is exceptionally good, so in all honesty I would think a couple of spare batteries would be more than enough for a days shooting.

It was quite interesting yesterday whilst taking pictures with the P5000, the light was very bright actually too bright light was very harsh, but there is an interesting feature when reviewing photos with the camera, you get the usual histogram and EXIF details, but also the camera highlights the area of the picture that is not exposed correctly, as was the case with many of the shots yesterday. Tried some shots of Shell Ducks the usual problem with harsh light, all the detail of the white areas of the bird burnt out, which was quite annoying, as the rest of the subject was spot on and tac sharp

I have attached a picture of the Shell Duck please excuse the burnt out white bits, as I said light was very harsh, I was using the custom settings as mentioned in previous post, still at the experimenting stages, thought it would be a good example for those wanting to see how sharp the image is. Also pictures of Heron from yesterday.

Thanks Dougie

Attachments

• Shell Duck 1.jpg
    Shell Duck 1.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 3,266
  • Heron 1.jpg
    Heron 1.jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 473
  • Heron 2.jpg
    Heron 2.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 516
Last edited:
Thank you Dougie for helping us decide about getting the P5000

The pictures you showed in your post. Can you confirm that they were straight from the camera, with no post sharpening.

Also I read in a report that the P5000 has bracketing, can you confirm that this is correct please.

Malc

Dougie said:
Hi Again
In answer to the question on manual focus, I have looked through the instruction manual and no mention of being able to manual focus, what you can do is is manually select which focusing sensor you wish to use, i.e. if the subject you wish to be in focus is off to the left of the framed picture then you can manually select left focusing sensor to ensure the subject is in focus.

As for the external DC port, there is a small rubber flap, that when lifted reveals the side of the battery, I am assuming now!!, but I think the AC adapter kit which is available has some sort of dummy battery that you put into the camera, and the rubber flap is lifted to allow the cable from the AC adapter to run into the camera. There is no other external plugging point for DC power as with the Coolpix 995, 4500.
But having said that the battery power on this camera is exceptionally good, so in all honesty I would think a couple of spare batteries would be more than enough for a days shooting.

It was quite interesting yesterday whilst taking pictures with the P5000, the light was very bright actually too bright light was very harsh, but there is an interesting feature when reviewing photos with the camera, you get the usual histogram and EXIF details, but also the camera highlights the area of the picture that is not exposed correctly, as was the case with many of the shots yesterday. Tried some shots of Shell Ducks the usual problem with harsh light, all the detail of the white areas of the bird burnt out, which was quite annoying, as the rest of the subject was spot on and tac sharp

I have attached a picture of the Shell Duck please excuse the burnt out white bits, as I said light was very harsh, I was using the custom settings as mentioned in previous post, still at the experimenting stages, thought it would be a good example for those wanting to see how sharp the image is. Also pictures of Heron from yesterday.

Thanks Dougie

Thanks for the info again Dougie.

You need to use some -EV compensation to stop highlights being blown in strong sunlight -2/3 to -1 in many cases, you might be able to use the cameras 'D' lighting to then lighten the under-exposed bits, if not this can be done in Photoshop etc.

What ISO were you using and were you on 10mpix best quality please.
Sorry for so many questions but really interested in this camera.

Thanks again

John

John

The exif info on the first picture shows 200 ISO the second 100 ISO and third 64 ISO but doesn't give away the Quality info.

Malc

Last edited:
Feathered one said:
John

The exif info on the first picture shows 200 ISO the second 100 ISO and third 64 ISO but doesn't give away the Quality info.

Malc

Thanks Malc, looking promising isn't it, I'm very tempted to get one, nearly broke into the piggy bank tonight ;)

Regards

John

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back