• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Focusing direction of your binoculars, everyone? (1 Viewer)

looksharp65

Sweden
After fiddling around for a while I have realized I want binoculars that focus clockwise from near to infinity.
Using several sets of binoculars I need to avoid the confusion inevitably occurring if the sets are not uniform in this regard.

Sure I know there already exists a couple of another threads on this subject, but newer binoculars have been released, so an update is needed, IMHO.
I count on everyone's benevolence here, so that the list can be as complete as can be.

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=146224&highlight=clockwise
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=134000&highlight=clockwise

Here are mine, and known: (please correct me if there is any fault)

Clockwise
Nikon Mikron
Vortex Fury
Swift Newport 10x50 Mk II
Zen-Ray ED2, Hawke Frontier ED, Promaster Elite ELX
Leica
Meopta
Swarovski
Zeiss

Anti-clockwise
Minox BV, HG
Opticron Aurora ~ Discovery WP PC (according to Opticron)
Pentax PF65 ED-A (newer)
Zen-Ray Summit
Zeiss Victory first edition
Zeiss Design Selection

Last edited:
Clockwise
Nikon Action EX
Nikon EII, SE, LX, LXL
Meopta Meopro, based on the assumption that it is the same binocular as Vortex Fury, and the Meostars focus clockwise.

Anti-clockwise
RSPB WPG series
Nikon Monarch
Vortex Razor :-C
Vortex Viper
Vortex Crossfire
Swift Audobon 8,5x44 HHS
B&L Discoverer
B&L Elite
Pentax SP
Steiner Peregrine XP
Bushnell Elite
Leupold GR Switch/Power
Celestron Regal LX
Bushnell EX
Swift Eaglet
Eagle Optics Raven
Leupold Yosemite
Kowa Genesis/Prominar, most likely even BD's

Last edited:
The thing is, if you insist on one, you are limited on what you can try. I don't seem to mind going both ways, sometimes I have two pairs with me that do that. You get used to it. On the other hand, I always look in scopes cameras etc with my left, dominant eye.

The thing is, if you insist on one, you are limited on what you can try. I don't seem to mind going both ways, sometimes I have two pairs with me that do that. You get used to it. On the other hand, I always look in scopes cameras etc with my left, dominant eye.

Well, I have had the Minox HG for about 8 months now and it is very nice, overall. But it is no way as speedy as my Vortex Fury. There are several reasons for this, but the one that stands out is that I always seem to confuse the focusing direction, thus losing the warblers before they get sharp.

You get used to it.
I am me, not you.
I can handle it, but I won't get used to it without getting rid of all the other binoculars. Even then, I suspect that the "wrong-way" direction will delay the bird observation and cause tons of annoyance.
In photography, Nikon's clockwise-to-infinity lenses always have felt natural for me.

Furthermore, I have read that I am not alone in my clockwise-preference.
I really wonder why it seems that most, if not all newer non-European binoculars focus in a direction that so many people find bothersome.
I would really, really have liked the Opticron BGA SE if it had been properly designed in this respect. The same goes for the Razors.

The binos all focus how they focus, CW or CCW. There idden much we can do about it, except adapt or peddle them, n' cest pas?

I have sold all my CCW models and trying hard to not buy any that aren't CW. I agree it seems "natural" to me also. I just don't want to get used to it.........

Swift Audubon 828 8,5X44: CCW
Opticron SR.GA 8X32: CCW

The irritating thing is that my scope (Kowa 823M) is CW, so I use the left hand to focus it (the binos with the right hand). It works.

Last edited:
Anti-clockwise:
TS Adventure series.

(I had a look on this one because Holger Merlitz placed its predecessor above the Zeiss Dialyt.)

Me? I think a good mixture of the two directions keeps ya on yer toes. Right now, I have 2 ccw binos & a scope, alone w/4 binos that are cw. I like the variety. If a push-pull bino were to be introduced (ala sailing ships telescopes from the 19th century), I'd probably get one.....ain't I a mess?

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back