• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

From my Manhattan Window (2 Viewers)

Hello,

Juncoes, white breasted nuthatches, black capped chickadees and fox sparrows are turning up with more frequency, even when the day starts with a temperature of -7ºC. On Sunday, I saw wood ducks on the Reservoir but not today. With ice forming on the Lake and on Turtle ponds, there is far less waterfowl on those bodies of water. There were hooded mergansers on the Reservoir along with ruddy duck, buffleheads, a ringed neck duck, shovel[l]lers, mallards and a black duck hybrid.
There was a Christmas bird count on the 17th, which, according to my sources, did not reveal one brown creeper. Two days later, I saw one, but none since.
Yesterday, on the Great Lawn, I spotted a few common ravens or are they northern ravens? The last time I saw a raven, I was at the Tower of London.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur :hi:

Attachments

• Brown creeper.jpg
    Brown creeper.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 32
  • Ravem.jpg
    Ravem.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 31
A very happy New Year to you Arthur. I hope all your 2018 wishes come through!!

Many thanks for the enjoyable reads of your posts throughout the year. I love them and often wonder if I'll manage over there to see some of the birds you've found. We we can dream, can't we? LOL

Thank you, Delia.

I wish you and all those who read these jotting a Happy New Year of joyous occasions, of good and of peace

It is -14ºC, but I will step out.

With warm wishes,

Hello,

I read in the Guardian, that New York's deep freeze made the news, even in the UK. Thursday, we had 20 cm of snow, which kept me out of the Park. When I had some time on Sunday, I woke to -15ºC, which was discouraging but I did go to the mainland, the New York Botanic Gardens in the Bronx. Every year the conservatory is used for a holiday train show. Around 800 metres of "O" gauge model train tracks are laid among models of New York area buildings, past and present. All the model buildings and bridges are made from plant materials: twigs, pine cones, seed pods, leaves and even from fungi. The staff are dressed like train personnel. Afterwards, my friends and I went to an old established restaurant in what was the Bronx's Little Italy for a rather pleasant meal.

I was out in the Park today, although many paths were snowy but with little ice. I did manage to see a rusty blackbird in the Ramble, as well as white breasted nuthatches and juncoes. Although the Lake was frozen, the Reservoir was had a little open water with gulls, wood ducks, ruddy ducks, ringed necked ducks. black duck hybrids and a gadwall.

Warmer weather is on the way, so if the Park clears more paths perhaps I may have more rewarding outings.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur

Attachments

• rusty blackbirds.jpg
    rusty blackbirds.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 42
  • gadwall, male.jpg
    gadwall, male.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 30
Winter in New York

Hello,

Today, New York emerged from the deep freeze, but there was still plenty of snow and ice on the ground. A lot of ice melted on the Reservoir, where I saw quite a few American coots, as well as a few wood ducks, shovellers, ruddy ducks and ringed neck ducks. Others saw hooded merganser on the Reservoir but I was not so fortunate.

On Tuesday, I was told that an American woodcock was seen near the Lake in the "Oven," which surprised me as they usually pass through in the autumn. Of course, it is well camouflaged for sitting in leaf litter but not for snow. On Tuesday, it was reported that only some feathers remained where it had been seen.

I add some photos of a wintry Park. Only a few weeks, ago, I posted the Gill and Azalea Pond in autumnal colours.

Attachments

• coots.jpg
    coots.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 34
  • woodcock, American.jpg
    woodcock, American.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 30
  • San Remo across the Lake.jpg
    San Remo across the Lake.jpg
    288.1 KB · Views: 36
  • gill.jpg
    gill.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 36
  • Azalea Pond.jpg
    Azalea Pond.jpg
    306.1 KB · Views: 37
Winter in New York

Hello,

New York is now enjoying a bit relief from winter's icy grip. The Lake and Reservoir were almost free of ice. Last week, I saw a wood duck on the Reservoir's ice, as well as hooded mergansers. Later last week, as well as today, I saw a pair of buffleheads on the Reservoir. Only northern shovellers and mallards on Turtle Pond, which finally had open water, today. On Sunday, when there was a covering of thin ice on much of the Lake and on Turtle Pond, warm air created a mist over the icy cold water.

Two weeks, ago, I did see a great blue heron, sitting on the shore, near the only water clear of ice. That spot was where a culvert emptied into the Lake.

Last week, I did see a leucistic grackle in the Park. Of some note is that I have seen more Cooper hawks than usual. Otherwise it is the same old, same old.

Happy bird watching,

Attachments

• Mist on Central Park Lake.jpg
    Mist on Central Park Lake.jpg
    367.1 KB · Views: 97
  • Turtle Pond.jpg
    Turtle Pond.jpg
    247.8 KB · Views: 91
  • cooper hawk.jpg
    cooper hawk.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:
A life bird

Hello,

We had a January thaw which melted much of the ice on both the Reservoir and on Turtle Pond. As a consequence, northern shovellers are joining the mallards on the Lake but not in huge numbers. This week on the Lake, I did see female hooded mergansers and a ruddy duck, which usually find the Lake too shallow. I have been seeing a few more red-bellied woodpeckers but the downy woodpeckers are more common. I spotted a brown creeper , which has probably wintered in the Park. As I often birds do not read field guides.

Another unexpected bird was a great cormorant which was enjoying the Reservoir on Sunday. This bird was known simply as a cormorant, or as a shag, years, ago. They are neither supposed to stray from shorelines nor visit nearby waters in the winger.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur :scribe:

Attachments

• Ducks.jpg
    Ducks.jpg
    268 KB · Views: 96
  • Ruddy duck.jpg
    Ruddy duck.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 97
  • Red bellied woodpecker.jpg
    Red bellied woodpecker.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 89
  • Brown creeper.jpg
    Brown creeper.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 68
  • great cormorant.jpg
    great cormorant.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 95
Hello,

Chosen Juan, thank you. I am surprised at how my jottings are so well received in places all over the world.

Last week, I neglected to mention seeing a northern mockingbird. This is not an uncommon bird but I have not seen one for quite a while.

This week on the Reservoir and on the Lake I have seen wood ducks. This is the first winter I recall seeing wood ducks on such a regular basis. With the recent thaw, I have seen hooded mergansers return to Turtle Pond, which had been frozen for weeks.

Today, I saw on the Reservoir
mallards,
shovellers,
American coots,
Ruddy ducks,
a wood duck,
a grebe, probably a horned grebe,
buffleheads,
a ringed necked duck,
Last week, I saw a male northern pintail on the Reservoir.

Otherwise today, I saw
northern cardinals,
blue jays,
white throated sparrows,
a white breasted nuthatch,
a black capped chickadee,
grackles,
house finches
goldfinches, in winter plumage,
downy woodpeckers
juncoes,
American robins, which had disappeared in the deep freeze.
and tufted titmice.

I have sighted fox sparrows as recently as early this week,

In the next three weeks, I hope to see an early spring bird, a phoebe. I hope that I may prove correct.

Happy bird watching,

Attachments

• mockingbird.jpg
    mockingbird.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 89
  • horned grebe.jpg
    horned grebe.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 83
  • ring necked duck.jpg
    ring necked duck.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 80
  • Pintail.jpg
    Pintail.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 83
  • Fox sparrow.jpg
    Fox sparrow.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 98
Hi Arthur, I too would like to thank you for your observations. You have some of the same, or very similar species to the birds that can be seen in London's parks (I find this blog a very enjoyable read - http://kensingtongardensandhydeparkbirds.blogspot.co.uk/) alongside others that really are very different. After reading Saul Frank's excellent book on urban peregrines in NYC I really would like to have a look around your area - I hope to be able to do so some day.

Best regards
patudo

Early arrivals

Hello Patudo,

I thank you for your kind words. Central Park is on the Atlantic flyway so it is visited by many species. I am hardly a good bird watcher, but I am persistent.

On Monday, I saw a male red winged blackbird then I saw a pair of golden crowned kinglets. I saw that brown creeper again, which apparently has overwintered. They should show up next month in some numbers. The next day I saw either immature males or female red winged blackbirds. On Friday, I saw a white throated sparrow whose stripes on the head were very white indeed. I believe that is a sign of being ready to mate.

Thursday's walk to the Reservoir brought only mallards, a coot and great blue heron.

Wednesday, the temperature rose to 25ºC. The next day it was barely 3ºC, in the morning. This very changeable weather may be driving the birds odd activity.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur

Attachments

• red winged blackbirds.jpg
    red winged blackbirds.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 93
  • golden crowned Kinglet.jpg
    golden crowned Kinglet.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 94
  • White throated sparrow.jpg
    White throated sparrow.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 82
No phoebe for me

Hello,

Although others have seen phoebes in Central Park, I came up short. However, last Sunday I saw a ruddy duck on the Reservoir whose sides were actually ruddy. Today, I heard a familiar call which another bird watcher identified as a northern flicker. Otherwise nothing new.
Today, I did have a discussion with a leader of bird watching groups as to whether a brown creeper was an early migrant or one which stayed for the winter. Inquiring minds want to know but no one can really be sure.
The reservoir had a lonely female bufflehead, not even a hooded mergansers or a coot.
I probably saw a black capped chickadee, today, which are rather uncommon this year.

Happy bird watching,

Attachments

• Ruddy duck.jpg
    Ruddy duck.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 89
  • flicker.jpg
    flicker.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 88
  • Brown creeper.jpg
    Brown creeper.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 88
  • buffleheads.jpg
    buffleheads.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 81
  • black capped chickadee.jpg
    black capped chickadee.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 82
Menage a trois?

Hello,

I had some business to which I had to attend, today. We are expecting up to 20cm of snow starting tonight, so I might have little opportunity for bird watching.

This story appeared in the newspapers of a romantic entanglement or dispute among red-tailed hawks. For reference sake, Tompkins Square Park is about five km, south and east from the southeastern end of Central Park and has an area larger than five hectares.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur

Attachments

• Red-tailed on a branch.jpg
    Red-tailed on a branch.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
Hi Arthur,

I also enjoy stopping by your thread. I was in NYC maybe a month ago to see the Michelangelo exhibit. We stayed on the west side and walked across Central Park to get to the MET. I thought of your "rambles" in that place. We had a lovely time, but it was pretty cold so I didn't do any birding. Central Park is a fantastic place to see spring Warblers, though. And it won't be long now!

Mark

Hi Arthur,

I also enjoy stopping by your thread. I was in NYC maybe a month ago to see the Michelangelo exhibit. We stayed on the west side and walked across Central Park to get to the MET. I thought of your "rambles" in that place. We had a lovely time, but it was pretty cold so I didn't do any birding. Central Park is a fantastic place to see spring Warblers, though. And it won't be long now!

Mark

Hello Mark,

Thank you for your interest in my ramblings. I live on the Upper West Side and often visit the Metropolitan* Museum of Art, going through the Park on foot. I saw the Michelangelo exhibition. It was unbelievably engrossing: paintings, sculpture, and numerous drawings.

Today, I thought that I heard a phoebe but I cannot be sure. We had about 13cm of snow last week So there were some pretty sights in the Ramble, which often looks very sylvan. Even the next day I could not negotiate many of the paths without risking some injury.

I will add a panorama of the Lake.

Happy bird watching,

Attachments

• phoebe.jpg
    phoebe.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 83
  • Rill.jpg
    Rill.jpg
    313.2 KB · Views: 83
  • Panorama.jpg
    Panorama.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 89
Spring days one and two

Hello,

Yesterday, the first day of spring, the temperature was 1ºC. I have yet to see a crocus bloom, but the daffodil buds are appearing. The only sign of spring was a song sparrow, which stood out from the several fox sparrows under the feeders in Central Park.
Earlier, this, week, I saw a red tailed hawk, soaring with a branch in its beak: part of there mating ritual.
Today, we are expecting between 29 and 48cm of snow, so no bird watching for me.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur :hi

Attachments

• Song sparrow.jpg
    Song sparrow.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 70
  • red-tailed hawk, aloft.jpg
    red-tailed hawk, aloft.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 73
Doing poorly

Hello all,

Spring has still not brought much for me. I have given up on seeing crocuses but there were odd flowers near Azalea Pond. It turned out that they were azaleas but they Korean Azaleas, which may be an invasive species. There were more brown creepers in the Park, so the migrants must be passing through.
The American goldfinches are coming into their spring colors. However, I am still seeing fox sparrows along with song sparrows and plenty of red winged blackbirds.
Today, I saw my first great egret of the season. It is pictured with Bow Bridge in the background At Turtle Pond a pair of hooded mergansers turned up, the first in weeks. There,I also saw a red tailed hawk try to take a mallard, without success

The American goldfinch is from Eaton's Birds of New York, as illustrated by Louis Agassiz Fuertes. The azaleas and the great egret were photographed with an iPod.

Happy bird watching,

Attachments

• Korean azalea.jpg
    Korean azalea.jpg
    529.4 KB · Views: 81
  • American goldfinch.jpg
    American goldfinch.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 71
  • Egret.jpg
    Egret.jpg
    186 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
Hi Arthur

I'm another one just discovering and very much enjoying your thread after making my first ever visit to NYC and Central Park over Easter.

I had a terrific couple of mornings - Saturday was the perfect early spring day - with a cloudless blue sky, no wind and some warming sunshine. Sunday was cloudy and a little warmer. All told the Park gave up 36 species, including the big highlight - an American Bittern perched high in a tree in the Tupelo field. Where I come from (Hong Kong) Bitterns just don't do that!

I really like your photo of the Great Egret - looks like a painting from 80 years ago! I believe also had my lifer Swamp Sparrow very close to where that shot was taken, although you may need a microscope to pick it out!

Cheers
Mike

Attachments

• DSC00060 American Bittern @ Central Park.jpg
    DSC00060 American Bittern @ Central Park.jpg
    492.4 KB · Views: 77
  • DSC00109 Swamp Sparrow @ Central Park.jpg
    DSC00109 Swamp Sparrow @ Central Park.jpg
    619.4 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
A good day!

Hello Mike,

I am happy that you are enjoying this thread. I am impressed at that bittern, in Central Park is a good bird. One up a tree would be a terrific sighting.

I was in the Park on the morning of Maundy Thursday and then was caught up in the holy days with family. Monday, we had almost 14cm of snow, which kept me out the Park. Yesterday, it was raining but today I resumed my usual walk, which turned out to be rather fruitful.

At the feeders, I saw brown cowbirds and chipping sparrows. At Turtle Pond, I saw a pair of double crested cormorants, a phoebe and a pair of black crown night herons.]]

All images by Louis Agassiz Fuertes from Birds of New York.

Happy bird watching,

Attachments

• cowbird.jpg
    cowbird.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 80
  • chipping sparrow.jpg
    chipping sparrow.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 81
  • Double crested cormorant.jpg
    Double crested cormorant.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 72
  • phoebe.jpg
    phoebe.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 83
  • night heron.jpg
    night heron.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 88
The waterthrushes are here

Hello,

On Sunday, I spotted a Louisiana waterthrush, on the shore of the Lake known as the Oven, just west of the Point. Today, on the Point, at a rill, I spotted a northern waterthrush. Yesterday, I an American kestrel or sparrowhawk, looking at the feeders. Kestrels are not uncommon on Manhattan. Indeed I know a famous grocer whose vermin, especially roaches, attracts sparrowhawks. I have seen them outside Central Park but that was first sighting inside the Park. Today, I also saw a swamp sparrow.

Bird images by Louis Agassiz Fuertes

I add a photo of the gill, taken with an iPod, which can be compared to my autumnal and wintry images in earlier posts.

Happy bird watching,

Attachments

• Louisiana waterthrush.jpg
    Louisiana waterthrush.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 83
  • northern waterthrush.jpg
    northern waterthrush.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 82
  • Sparrow hawk.jpg
    Sparrow hawk.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 51