• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2019 (2 Viewers)

A Red-throated pipit in Son Servera, found by Pere V.
Just had a Hobby over the apartment here in Porto Petro and a Willow Warbler in the garden which is a “first” for my garden list.
Mike

Arrived in Pto Pollensa - good to be back. single Bee Eater over apartment as we arrived.

Think Ill try first thing tmrw for the Baillon's Crake ( mainly as I assume, working out directions, in evening you are looking into the sun?)

Does anyone know of any Scops Owls around Pto Pollensa please ?

Chris

Could you let me know how you get on with the crake and owl. I arrive tomorrow , staying at a villa a couple of miles west of Polenca.

Saw some bats hunting over a channel. Does anyone know if you get Daubentons in Majorca? Earlier red kite over and hoopoe flying through the hotel grounds.

many thanks for the spotless starling update - will try again this week.
Boquer valley this evening produced 5 redstart and 2 pied flycatcher, plus peregrine and blue rock thrush. Also, short-toed lark at Son Bosc entrance road this afternoon. Son Real - plenty of woodchat shrikes and crossbill but little else.

Saw some bats hunting over a channel. Does anyone know if you get Daubentons in Majorca? Earlier red kite over and hoopoe flying through the hotel grounds.

As far as I am aware, there are no Daubenton's in the Balearic islands.

Here's a list of the bats recorded in s'Albufera (as of 2008):

Familia Vespertilionidae
Murciélago ratonero grande Myotis myotis
Murciélago ratonero gris Myotis nattereri/escalerae
Murciélago ratonero patudo Myotis capaccini
Murciélago enano Pipistrellus pipistrellus
Murciélago de Cabrera Pipistrellus pygmaeus
Murciélago de Nathusius Pipistrellus nathusii
Murciélago de borde claro Pipistrellus kuhlii
Murciélago montañero Hypsugo savii
Nóctulo pequeño Nyctalus leisleri
Murciélago hortelano Eptesicus serotinus
Barbastela Barbastella barbastellus
Orejudo gris Plecotus austriacus
Familia Molossidae
Murciélago rabudo Tadarida teniotis

Martin

A trip to Söller this morning gave me my third lifer of the trip in the form of a Whiskered Tern fishing in the port.

Also in the port was a single Canada Goose, which my book has down as being rare. Is this still the case?

Back in Santa Ponsa I had a walk around the local wooded area which runs adjacent to a golf course. Added Cattle Egret and Linnet to the trip list.

Also at the golf course were 1, possibly 2 pairs of Woodchat Shrike. Lots more of the usual suspects too.

Back at the hotel a couple more Kestrel, a Red Kite and another large raptor which I thing was a Buzzard flying over, will have to wait till I'm back home to check the very poor photos!

Hopefully bump into some of you at Albufera tomorrow.

Nige

Salbufera today,
Savi's Warbler, great views and hopefully good photos, thanks again Pep,
Tawny Pipit, Wood Sandpiper, 4 Reed Buntings Collared Pratincole, Whitethroat.
Steve.

A White stork is still at Casa Blanca.
Casa Blanca is on the Ma15 near the airport.
Lots of migration going on at the moment, Hobbies, Bee-eaters, Willow warblers and other Common passerines.
Mike

Salbufera: 2 hours plus in the hide right of Sa Roca today peering out but no sign of any crakes - don't know if we didn't put in long enough or it has moved on?. Otherwise good selection of usual suspects kept me and Thomas from Germany entertained

On way back flocks of Bee Eaters moving over Can Curassa

Steve (SG) - good to meet you briefly - where was your Practincole please ?

Chris

A trip to Söller this morning gave me my third lifer of the trip in the form of a Whiskered Tern fishing in the port.

Also in the port was a single Canada Goose, which my book has down as being rare. Is this still the case?
Nige

Hello Nige,
The Whiskered Tern in Port de Sóller is a very good sighting!!
The Canada Goose escaped some years ago from a farm which is close to the main stream, so arrived at the port. I know the owner tried several times to trapp it but, as you have seen, without success.

REgards,
Cristina.

Bóquer Valley

Here you have some sightings from Charles Gunn in the Bóquer Valley:
-14th Black-eared Wheatear
Bee-eaters (20)

-Today (16th) Male Golden Oriole.

Regards,
Cristina

Hello again!
here in la Gola the highlight is a Pied Flycatcher.
But also a handsome common redstart which is in the surroundings of the Bird Centre

This morning in the Albercutx Tower:
Booted Eagles
Marsh Harriers
Red Kites
Sparrowhawk
Egyptian Vulture
by the moment (thanks to the members of GORA for the info)

Cheers,
Cristina.

Walked down to Albufera this morn. Great reed warbler and collared pratincole were new for us. Hello to the Port Vale fan if that is anyone from here. Nice to meet you. Tom (father of Leicester fan!)

With regard to the Baillon’s Crake, I bumped into Juanjo over lunch. He suggested that the water levels have changed at Sa Roca and thus the feeding habits of the crakes will also have changed. It is therefore possible that they are still in the area, but their location maybe different. I hope they are still around and that someone relocates them.
Mike

Good to meet you again Chris, and Thomas, the Pratincole was same place, as the Crakes still there when I called back lunch time.
That was me BA, the long suffering vale fan.
Steve.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back