• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon SX60HS in Action (1 Viewer)

a couple of more shots from my ageing sx 60,the pipit was taken in very dull light,i had to use iso400,even then the shutter speed went down to 1/160,the pic was taken on full zoom 247mm with the 1,6 converter on,the bird was in the distance so I had no choice,the second pic 1/800 iso 160

Attachments

• sx6a.jpg
    sx6a.jpg
    250.3 KB · Views: 198
  • sx60b.jpg
    sx60b.jpg
    172.8 KB · Views: 111
2 more pics,both taken on tv mode with the iso set at 200,the exposure program info seems to be missing in the exif data,(fastone image viewer)also the iso was changing automatically,swaying towards the sx 70 rather than a second sx60 as a carry around camera mostly because the sx 60 price has hardly dropped since I bought mine

Attachments

• paint ldy.jpg
    paint ldy.jpg
    184.9 KB · Views: 80
  • pw.jpg
    pw.jpg
    301.9 KB · Views: 85
taken on full zoom with the converter on and leaning on a wall due to very windy conditions,took lots of pics surprised this one was in focus given the conditions

Attachments

• wht.jpg
    wht.jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 144
sx60hs

Hi, i am new to the forum. I have had the sx60hs for a couple of years now and at first i was disappointed with the sharpness of the photos i was taking. I found that disabling a few settings in the camera and tweaking things improved the quality of my photos immensely even in low light and i think i can safely say that i have got some fantastic shots that i would not be able to better without spending a fortune.

I can't upload my photos as the file sizes are too big but here are some links to photos i have taken and if anyone is interested in looking i would be interested in your thoughts.

https://www.photocrowd.com/photographer-community/94269/

https://www.facebook.com/neil.compton.58

These are nice shots indeed.

I think that you are getting more of the resolution the camera is capable of than most other users.
What did you disable and what settings did you find preferable?

sx60hs

Thank you. I recommend that dynamic range correction and shadow correction are turned off. I did this after seeing someone else recommend it and i have not turned them on again since. I noticed a marked improvement. High ISO noise reduction - standard. Photos - Superfine.

I use the custom colour setting and have contrast at +1, sharpness +2 and everything else in the middle.

I shoot primarily in aperture mode. It's said that lenses have a sweet spot and i find that i get the best results from using a wider aperture and avoid the narrow apertures especially f7.1 and f8.

Up until recently i would always shoot in the 16:9 format which i like but you only get 12 mega pixels which is just a waste so i have now started shooting in 4:3. I also only shoot in JPEG.

Obviously the sx60hs has been around a while now but it would be interesting to see if these settings improve the quality of photos for anyone else.

Thank you. I recommend that dynamic range correction and shadow correction are turned off. I did this after seeing someone else recommend it and i have not turned them on again since. I noticed a marked improvement. High ISO noise reduction - standard. Photos - Superfine.

I use the custom colour setting and have contrast at +1, sharpness +2 and everything else in the middle.

I shoot primarily in aperture mode. It's said that lenses have a sweet spot and i find that i get the best results from using a wider aperture and avoid the narrow apertures especially f7.1 and f8.

Up until recently i would always shoot in the 16:9 format which i like but you only get 12 mega pixels which is just a waste so i have now started shooting in 4:3. I also only shoot in JPEG.

Obviously the sx60hs has been around a while now but it would be interesting to see if these settings improve the quality of photos for anyone else.

Thank you, these are helpful inputs.
It is surprising to me that none of the camera makers have noticed that there is a substantial number of people who own their cameras but who do not have the time or the inclination to develop optimal settings for their interests.
All the industry offers is the usual PASM options plus a one size fits all automatic setting. It would not take much for one of the many Canon, Nikon or Sony 'brand ambassadors' to develop a set of birding relevant settings such as you have created for the SX60. Yet none have taken that tiny step.
It seems a missed opportunity.

Thank you, these are helpful inputs.
It is surprising to me that none of the camera makers have noticed that there is a substantial number of people who own their cameras but who do not have the time or the inclination to develop optimal settings for their interests.
All the industry offers is the usual PASM options plus a one size fits all automatic setting. It would not take much for one of the many Canon, Nikon or Sony 'brand ambassadors' to develop a set of birding relevant settings such as you have created for the SX60. Yet none have taken that tiny step.
It seems a missed opportunity.

With wildlife photography there are quite a lot of variables to take into account but it certainly wouldn't hurt to have some base settings to work from which would help beginners. The automatic setting on cameras today works quite well but i think if someone wants to get into photography more seriously and who takes photos often then it pays to use the other settings where you have more control.

I am no expert but i have got so used to using my camera now it's second nature. The only settings i tend to change now are white balance and metering depending on the conditions.

My 9 year old took these of some Teal when we were on a recent trip to Steart.

Attachments

• IMG_7913.jpg
    IMG_7913.jpg
    419.5 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_7916.jpg
    IMG_7916.jpg
    521.8 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_7923.jpg
    IMG_7923.jpg
    468.3 KB · Views: 35
spotted a very distant white object in a tree today,thought its either going to be a plastic bag or a bird,turned out to be a bird,not a bad shot for that distance

Attachments

• buz11G_7668.JPG
    buz11G_7668.JPG
    330.9 KB · Views: 69
  • buzz11g2.jpg
    buzz11g2.jpg
    603.6 KB · Views: 87

Users who are viewing this thread

Back