View Single Post
Old Tuesday 22nd January 2019, 15:18   #23
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMW View Post
...... Put simply, I trust the collective body of scientists and scientific research to do their job. I trust them to put forward the most compelling explanations of the natural world, and I trust them to keep looking for alternative explanations, and to change their collective minds when these alternative explanations are a better fit for the data.

This is why I accept the premise of AGW, despite never having read a single paper on the subject......
'Scientists' also collectively regularly trot out all sorts of stuff about 'Dark Matter' and 'Dark Energy' despite very few I suspect having any sort of grasp of it whatsoever. It's probably those less immersed who stand back, hitch up an eyebrow, and say - "hang on ....." , that represent our greatest hope ! I wouldn't be at all surprised if a 100 or so years from now, the whole thing is looked back upon with about as much credibility as "luminiferous aether" !

I trust the scientific process to get it right ----- eventually, but jeez, there'll be a heck of a lot of 'silly walks' in between .....
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wippooDL6WE

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMW View Post
...... In today’s world it is always a good idea to distrust anything you read in the media ---- but to be honest there comes a point where healthy scepticism turns into blind refusal to accept reality.
This reminds me of an 'encounter' I had with my ex boss, who virtually implied that I was mad and was ripe for the funny farm, when I told him of an insight and position I held on some matter within our company. I will never forget his words and incredulity ..... "what! so you expect me to believe that 160 people including me are wrong, and you're the only one who's right?! That no-one else can see it, and every single one of them is wrong - and you're right?!? In hindsight my reply of "yep" only seemed to infuriate him more ........... funny thing was though, it turns out I was right, turns out I was the only one who was right, and 160 people got it completely wrong ..............

Chosun

Last edited by Chosun Juan : Wednesday 23rd January 2019 at 00:39. Reason: spellun n dat

BF Supporter 2016 Support BirdForum With A Donation