• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Homemade Hummingbird Nectar (1 Viewer)

Bird_Bill

Hello everyone, just a seasonal reminder as feathered jewels work their way back up northward.
Standard 1 part pure white cane sugar to 4 parts water.
Very closely mimics natural nectar in sucrose and in transparent color.
Many other members have provided thoughts on feeder hints that are very helpful, elsewhere in the forum.
Keeping feeders clean is as important as feeding, articles here in BF on that subject also.

All about birds article...Feeding Hummingbirds

Well put. C&H Sugar - from Hawaii - has a classic mill in Crocket, California. I always highly recommend the sugar. Crocket is fun too..... The town also famous (for at least 5 people) as the home of Aldo Ray - Sergeant Muldoon in 'The Green Berets'. His name is carved on a bar stool there.

Aldo Ray, Humphrey Bogart, and Peter Ustinov were in arguably
one of the greatest animal flics ever with "We're no Angels".
Sudden cold front here has temps close to high 40's.
Bumped up sugar content in todays refill by about 10%,
cold seems to have turned off insect hatches, with no females in neighborhood yet

Possibly 100 degrees here today. Temps will fall tomorrow. Freakishly hot in Southern California - hence the fires. I have my summer Anna's and your cousins (Black-chinns) here till' they're joined by Rufous heading south in August.

What about beet sugar, instead of cane?

Essentially the same, both sucrose. I've never used it. Since the 80's when I first started feeding, it was using white cane sugar at the 1:4, sugar/water ratio. That was drilled into my head, so it's force of habit. Continually seeing the same recommendations for 30 odd years, has myself reluctant to change.

Suppose for sake of argument that the cane product requiring less
processing, is a product closer to natural nectar, versus beet sugar.
Purely aesthetics, though. (I'll be "beet" to death on that)

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back