• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

South Africa, Kruger, August (1 Viewer)

Yes, I'd go along with sub-adult Pale Chanting Goshawk..Gabar Goshawk young normally have a much paler chest with streaks at top and bars lower down , and African Goshawk is whiter still on the front plus it has yellow legs and grey cere (the bit that's red at the base of the bill on this bird) at all ages

Leg colour is wrong for a juv Tom? Why can't we see upper leg feathering?

Andy

By worn juvenile I mean full juvenile plumage without moult but several months old, so leg colour turns to red already, immature is correct too.
I do not understand the problem of leg feathering Gabar and Dark-chanting have unfeathered tarsi and feathered tibia invisible here
In Gabar I would expect obvious white margin on secondaries even in worn juveniles. Size is a clue here, Gabar being much smaller (difficult here but easy in the field)

Edit: photo attached of a younger juvenile with red legs and visible tibia

Attachments

• dsgh.jpg
    dsgh.jpg
    252 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back