• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Autumn mothing (1 Viewer)

Andy Adcock

Worst person on Birdforum
Cyprus
This is a moth I enjoy here in small numbers, Orache Moth, formerly a rare, UK breeder.

Attachments

• rsz_p9071264.jpg
    rsz_p9071264.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 43
That the one where the entire life cycle is spent around Fox droppings?

Never heard about that; the larvae feed on plants like orache (surprisingly enough!) + the related goosefoots.

Would love to see one here + small numbers do turn up as migrants most years.

Finally joined the Box-tree Moth club on Thursday night, next to my front door, and then a second one on a wall at work the next day 6 miles away!

robhope

UK Leps 507 (Box-tree Moth Cydalima perspectalis)
UK Plants 457 (Goldenrod)
UK Birds 237

Attachments

• Box-tree.JPG
    Box-tree.JPG
    41.3 KB · Views: 15
  • Box-tree ii.JPG
    Box-tree ii.JPG
    39.9 KB · Views: 18
I had my second garden C. perspectalis yesterday before heading down to Dungeness to see the Oleander Hawk. An absolute stunner. This week also took me past the 1000 UK Moths milestone - 2/5ths of the way there then!

I was told that people travelled from Norfolk for the Ole Hawk!

Entirely understandable! I think I saw mine in 2005 & I was tempted for seconds.

(I confess that I twitched White Prominent in a fridge in 2008 when it was rediscovered. I flew to Belfast from Bristol..... I have since been back and found it as larvae and trapped the species on two occasions.)

Now trapping an Oleander would be a buzz!

All the best

After 15 years!

After 15 years of moth watching, and the last 3+ without a trap, I have finally seen the one:

Clifden Nonpareil Catocala fraxini

Resting on a wall by my flat in Titchfield Common, Hampshire, and now in the fridge. Hopefully a couple of better pictures in the morning before release...

I cannot describe the feeling when I gently opened the wings!

UK Leps 508 (Clifden Nonpareil Catocala fraxini)
UK Plants 457 (Goldenrod)
UK Birds 237

Attachments

• C1.JPG
    C1.JPG
    84 KB · Views: 33
  • C2.JPG
    C2.JPG
    63.2 KB · Views: 24
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back