• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds fae Torry (4 Viewers)

After the good birds reported at the weekend,I headed around the "Plotties" (Allotments) and the North Bank of Girdleness,In hope of picking up something good.Sadly,nothing much was showing and on speaking to Andrew and another birder round there,they had little to report neither.However,I believe Andrew had more joy later on.

I was hoping to see a Yellow browed Warbler as a couple had been reported yesterday,along with a Barred Warbler,reported by Mark Lewis earlier today but nothing showed at all.Until I was making my way home and I heard,then seen,a Yellow browed Warbler In an Ironed off garden a two minute walk from my house on Victoria Road/Abbey Place !!

I tried looking for Ben's Yellow-browed Warbler but didn't find it. It no doubt had wandered off around the streets of Torry. I did see two others however, both in willows below the Battery. They were about the only landbird migrants I saw despite the promising conditions. Other birds were on the move, however. The most impressive was a large flock of 270 Barnacle Geese that appeared out of the mist to fly south over the breakwater. I think that's probably the biggest flock I've ever seen here. Other wildfowl on the move included 32 Teal, 19 Wigeon and two Red-breasted Mergansers.

Waders were moving too. At least eight Dunlin flew south in a couple of groups but there were a few more groups of small waders that were probably this species. A Knot was on Greyhope Bay. A medium-sized wader circling in the mist over the Battery was puzzling and I'm not totally sure what it was. It looked a bit like a Knot but seemed too big and give flat call that was unfamiliar.

Perhaps the best bird was a second calendar-year Mediterranean Gull on Greyhope Bay - my first of the year. More surprisingly, a Kestrel at the Battery was also my first for the year.

Others had good stuff today e.g. Barred Warbler, Pomarine Skua and two other Med Gulls.

Here are some lower quality photos for those that like them.

Attachments

• Barnacle Goose_Girdle Ness_230919a.jpg
    Barnacle Goose_Girdle Ness_230919a.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 36
  • YB Warbler_Girdle Ness_230919a.jpg
    YB Warbler_Girdle Ness_230919a.jpg
    243.1 KB · Views: 45
  • Mediterranean Gull_Girdle Ness_230919a.jpg
    Mediterranean Gull_Girdle Ness_230919a.jpg
    214 KB · Views: 57
What a lovely photo. Garden Warblers are beautiful, subtly-plumaged birds, and this is probably one of the best photos I've seen of one.

I second that on both counts.:t: I remember at Ham Walls, Somerset, a couple of years ago having five different individual birds singing in five different consecutive trees along one of the trails.

Not an everyday Torry bird,so I thought I would post about them.
At 07.20 this morning,11 Whooper Swans flew In from the direction of Nigg Bay/St Fitticks Park and landed on Tullos School Playfield and started feeding.

Sadly,I doubt they shall hang around for long,once the dog walkers waken up.

Not an everyday Torry bird,so I thought I would post about them.
At 07.20 this morning,11 Whooper Swans flew In from the direction of Nigg Bay/St Fitticks Park and landed on Tullos School Playfield and started feeding.

Sadly,I doubt they shall hang around for long,once the dog walkers waken up.

A nice record. Sadly they'd moved on by the time I went there in the middle of the morning.

I didn't see too much in the Nigg Bay area, although there were three Chiffchaffs, a Blackcap and four Goldcrests. Three Snipe in the marsh were my first of the autumn.

An afternoon walk round the Ness was cold with a blustery north wind. Seawatching seemed as though it might be a good option. I set up my scope at the Coo at around 3.20 and almost immediately clapped eyes on a Balearic Shearwater heading north at relatively close range - maybe 400-500 metres out. A patch tick and only the third I've ever seen in eastern Scotland. I guess it's also the rarest bird in global terms I've ever seen here.

There was surprisingly little else moving, although I did manage four Arctic Skuas, three Bonxies, six Red-breasted Mergansers and six Common Scoters. The pair of Swallows at the Coo still appear to be feeding young in the nest.

Congratulations on the Balearic Shearwater,Andrew.A super record. :t:

I've seen a few on my annual holiday's to Mallorca but never thought one would pass close enough to Torry Turf.

Congratulations on the Balearic Shearwater,Andrew.A super record. :t:

I've seen a few on my annual holiday's to Mallorca but never thought one would pass close enough to Torry Turf.

I saw one off the Ness in Sept. 2003 (accepted). It lingered for about an hour, feeding in the company of Manx. Looked like a bit like a small Skua when not flying.

Thanks for the comments. I know Mark saw one three years ago and I think there was one in 2006, which I also saw but when it passed Newburgh rather than at the Ness. Not sure there have been any others here in recent years.

Thanks for the comments. I know Mark saw one three years ago and I think there was one in 2006, which I also saw but when it passed Newburgh rather than at the Ness. Not sure there have been any others here in recent years.

Can I tell a 'one that got away' story? Some years ago (can't remember which one now, as I didn't file the 'record' for a good reason) on a nice August afternoon, I was birdwatching on the south side of the Coo. It had been a good day for Manx Shearwater, and I saw many dozens, ALL moving north.

Suddenly two similar small shearwaters (of Manxish appearance) appeared from the north, traveling rather erratically south. As one got level with me it turned towards me and as it did so it employed a stiff 'Common Sandpiper' wingbeat. I tried to keep on the other one at the same time and as I did so it veered quite fast out to sea, and as it did so it passed a Fulmar going north (within inches), and it appeared 'HALF THE SIZE' of the fulmar. I concluded that both birds might be (as was the terminology then) Little Shearwater. As they disappeared south I tried to get the face pattern but the light wasn't right.

When I got home I thought 'What to do?' Single observer record, of what was then a very rare species, in an unfamiliar location. Reading up I learned that people were sceptical of North Sea records, as LSs were held to like deeper water than offered by the North Sea. So I contacted Andy Webb and asked for advice, but confessed that I didn't think the record had a hope in hell of being accepted, but that if the birds were spotted by others and identified as LS somewhere further down the coast, the record might have a chance. So in the end the record never went to be judged.

Last edited:
I had a somewhat frustrating wander round the Ness today in seemingly favourable conditions. Migrants weren't very much in evidence. Nine Goldcrests were probably the most conspicuous. The best were a Whinchat and a Stonechat, both around the Battery. Otherwise there wasn't a lot else. Twelve Wigeon and three Common Scoters went south and a Teal was along the north shore. A Sandwich Tern was still around. That was about it.

I had a fairly thorough look around today after the rain abated late in the morning. The conditions were again favourable and there were more migrants around than yesterday. Robins and Goldcrests were particularly numerous, with the latter numbering 46 - one of the higher counts I've made in recent years. Over half of those were in a single flock flitting through the allotments.

Nigg Bay was fairly busy with three Brambling and four Redwing, as well as three Chiffchaffs. I'm fairly sure I heard a Siberian Chiffchaff in scrub by the marsh but I couldn't see the bird and won't claim it. In the marsh there were seven Snipe, five Teal and six Moorhen. A Whinchat was long the edge of Tullos School field. There were also two Bullfinches and at least ten Long-tailed Tits.

Another flock of at least eight Long-tailed Tits were on Abbey Road. The day's best migrant was a Ring Ouzel flying out of the grass dump at the allotments and over the golf course. Elsewhere there wasn't that much: two Blackcaps, a Chiffchaff and three Stonechats about the best of it. A Collared Dove flew across to Footdee and was my first on patch this year. A Common Sandpiper was seen briefly flying up the Dee.

Attachments

• LT Tit_Torry_061019a.jpg
    LT Tit_Torry_061019a.jpg
    182.3 KB · Views: 28
I got out for a wander late afternoon today, after the rain had abated. There was clearly an influx of birds. The whole area was riddled with thrushes, particularly Song Thrush, Redwing and Blackbird. Other birds were taking an interest in them, including a surprise Merlin that dashed right along Abbey Road. A female Ring Ouzel was seen quite well in the allotments.

Two rather dainty looking Lesser Whitethroats were along the north shore, along with three Chiffchaffs and a Brambling. Goldcrests were again numerous with at least 27 counted. A Swallow flew over the golf course. I had some good views of a Yellow-browed Warbler in the sycamore by the steps to the breakwater. A Short-eared Owl flew over the Battery. I bet there was plenty more out there.

Attachments

• Brambling_Girdle Ness_071019a.jpg
    Brambling_Girdle Ness_071019a.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 33
  • Goldcrest_Girdle Ness_071019a.jpg
    Goldcrest_Girdle Ness_071019a.jpg
    215.9 KB · Views: 28
It was a pleasant autumn day here in Torry today and the birding was quite interesting too. There seemed to be a certain amount of movement going on, with Skylarks in particular heading south. Although the numbers of migrants were low, with thrush and Goldcrest scarcer than earlier in the week, the variety was good.

Most of the action was along the north bank below the allotments. Two Siberian Chiffchaffs were calling to one another in the undergrowth, though only one was seen and then only briefly. At least one Lesser Whitethroat looked distinctly 'eastern' but was never seen for longer than a few seconds at a time. 'The Tree' was particularly busy and a single Acrocephalus warbler appeared in the lower limbs. I always get both excited and slightly anxious when an acro appears. I couldn't do anything with this one other than make it a Reed Warbler. Other migrants included two regular Chiffchaffs and four Blackcaps.

Elsewhere there were fewer migrants but I did see two Whinchats and two Stonechats in the Battery/ Greyhope Bay area. We also had some whopping great progress on the Purple Sandpiper Totaliser:

It is lit.

Attachments

• Reed Warbler_Girdle Ness_121019a.jpg
    Reed Warbler_Girdle Ness_121019a.jpg
    253.6 KB · Views: 106
Another interesting day in Torry in calm but mostly cloudy conditions. The Nigg Bay area was quiet initially with few migrants about. Two Jack Snipe were flushed in the marsh - my first of the autumn. A Siberian Chiffchaff was then heard calling and was seen, rather poorly, in the young trees north of the marsh. I played a tape of the song to encourage it out into the open. It didn't come out but it did start singing back! Other birds in the area included a Bullfinch, at least one Redpoll, four Goldcrests and two Chiffchaffs. A pair of Stock Doves were up on Tullos Hill - my first of the year.

My walk round the Ness began well with very good views of an immature Ring Ouzel along Abbey Road. The 'interesting' Lesser Whitethroat was again frequenting 'the Tree' but I didn't get any good photos. Other migrants included a Chiffchaff, four Blackcaps, three Goldcrests, a Whinchat and two Stonechats. I was pleased to see two juvenile Swallows around the Coo, presumably from the late nest there. A Peregrine flew through low, into the harbour.

A very smart Snow Bunting showed nicely on the breakwater before picking about the boulders in Greyhope Bay. On my way back at dusk I heard another Siberian Chiffchaff calling along Abbey Road. They seem to be almost as common as colybita Chiffchaffs at the moment.

Attachments

• Ring Ouzel_Torry_131019a.jpg
    Ring Ouzel_Torry_131019a.jpg
    209.3 KB · Views: 100
  • Snow Bunting_Girdle Ness_131019a.jpg
    Snow Bunting_Girdle Ness_131019a.jpg
    249.1 KB · Views: 54
  • Stock Dove_Girdle Ness_131019a.jpg
    Stock Dove_Girdle Ness_131019a.jpg
    407.3 KB · Views: 97
After some fairly bad weather I was hopefully that there might be a bit around today. It didn't quite transpire that way, although there was some interesting stuff about. I heard a probable Siberian Chiffchaff again along Abbey Road. Aside from a scattering of Blackbirds and Song Thrushes that was about it for migrants, although some stuff may have been lying low in the strong northerly wind. Three Tree Sparrows in the allotments were my first of the year. A Knot was in Greyhope Bay.

I thought it might be good out to sea but the only things moving were ducks: 21 Wigeon, a Mallard, nine Teal and a Goldeneye. The best bird was a distant Raven gliding about over Tullos Hill. My first since the spring.

Attachments

• Tree Sparrow_Girdle Ness_191019a.jpg
    Tree Sparrow_Girdle Ness_191019a.jpg
    248.6 KB · Views: 35
Most of the focus was on the sea today in the continuing strong northerlies. There were still no notable pelagic species but there was a fairly good movement of ducks. The best of these was a female Pintail heading north with some Teal. Only my fifth record here. Others included nine Wigeon, 55 Teal, ten Mallard, three Long-tailed Ducks and a Red-breasted Merganser. Seven Red-throated Divers were also moving.

There wasn't too much elsewhere, although four Siskins went north over Victoria Road and there were six male Pheasants strutting about the allotments.

Quite sunny here today but cool with a touch of ground frost. I had a good look around the Nigg Bay area in the morning. A Siberian Chiffchaff showed and called reasonably well in scrub along the Tullos Burn downstream of the reedbed. A more normal Chiffchaff was nearby. Other birds include two Snipe, a Collared Dove, a Goldcrest, a Redwing, six Siskins and a late Lesser Black-backed Gull overhead.

I did look around the Ness in the afternoon but it was pretty quiet. A single Dunlin was about as good as it got. Winter is approaching.

Attachments

• Moorhen_Girdle Ness_261019a.jpg
    Moorhen_Girdle Ness_261019a.jpg
    362.5 KB · Views: 34
  • Rook_Girdle Ness_261019a.jpg
    Rook_Girdle Ness_261019a.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 22

Users who are viewing this thread

Back