• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

More from Yucatan in January (1 Viewer)

Aliks

Opus Editor
From Rio Legartos area - we went out with Diego Nunez for a couple of days (excellent trips!) but after that we were on our own, so identification was harder.

All help much appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_1046Snap.jpg
    IMG_1046Snap.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_1467Snap.jpg
    IMG_1467Snap.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_1472Snap.jpg
    IMG_1472Snap.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_1563Snap.jpg
    IMG_1563Snap.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_1616Snap.jpg
    IMG_1616Snap.jpg
    194.8 KB · Views: 46
Looking very closely at the other shots I have of the same birds:
1. Summer Tanager female (possibly juvenile) looks likely
2. Northern Parula - comparing with some images on Google looks a good match
3. I thought some kind of sparrrow????????
4. Masked Tityra for sure
5. Grey Catbird for sure

I assume the Yucatan is safe?

Haven't done Mexico but will be in Larry's position soon, looking for a place where we can safely take a child.

What are your tips Larry for best 'buggy birding' destinations?

A

We have been to the Yucatan each year for the last seven. We have always found it very safe and friendly with great birding. Steven, our usual guide, is a Dutch guy who knows everyone, speaks Mayan as well as Spanish and is knowledgeable in archeology as well as birds. Find him by looking up 'Birding with Steven'.
For the birds - definite on Northern Parula and Grey Catbird, also bunting sp for 1 and 3.

Yucatan is more than safe to go.
If you are going to some remoter areas, some basic Spanish is good but certainly not necessary.
We have done it selfdriven in Spring 2017 incl. Palenque. and had a great time. A guide is not really needed (well we missed a lot of species during our poor knowledge on calls in Palenque). Also a good place to combine family and birds with a lot of birdlife at the archeological sites.

Yucatan is more than safe to go.
If you are going to some remoter areas, some basic Spanish is good but certainly not necessary.
We have done it selfdriven in Spring 2017 incl. Palenque. and had a great time. A guide is not really needed (well we missed a lot of species during our poor knowledge on calls in Palenque). Also a good place to combine family and birds with a lot of birdlife at the archeological sites.

Thanks Dortmund

A

Likewise, I have been in Yucatan something like 4 of the last 6 years, and done some self driving and birding most of those visits. I consider it as safe as most other places I would go. In Mexico, the further away from the US border the better, it seems.

You can get good birds without a guide, but conversely, I have always gotten something extra the couple of times I have had a guide.

Niels

Out of interest, what are the best ways of telling Indigo Bunting from Blue Black Grassquit? May be obvious but I'll admit, I'm struggling.
Cheers
Phil

I do not remember seeing a female-colored bbgr having a wash of blue on tail and wing-tips similar to what we see here. Others might chime in with different input.

Niels

I do not remember seeing a female-colored bbgr having a wash of blue on tail and wing-tips similar to what we see here. Others might chime in with different input.

Niels

Thanks Niels. Not actually getting the blue wash on my phone. Tried Google but can't find much info on the differences (maybe they're more straightforward in real life). From images there seems to be a difference in wing length with bbgr having much shorter wings (I assume non-migratory?). I remember seeing lots of "Indigo Buntings" in the Yucatan a few years back, wasn't till I got home that I wondered if some (if not most) had been Grassquits (I was too busy struggling to identify orioles most of the time I was there).

Phil

Out of interest, what are the best ways of telling Indigo Bunting from Blue Black Grassquit? May be obvious but I'll admit, I'm struggling.
Cheers
Phil

I'm still struggling with that too Phil, to be honest. Normally not a problem in the field, but I could do with some more words of wisdom with this pic. I'm getting more of an Indigo feel on head shape and posture but that's about it :smoke::smoke:

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back