• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Peru - Cock-of-the-rock lodge v (1 Viewer)

Nickk

Photos taken at and near lodge in April

Attachments

• Untitled11.jpg
    Untitled11.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 38
  • Untitled12.jpg
    Untitled12.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 33
  • Untitled13.jpg
    Untitled13.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 34
  • Untitled14.jpg
    Untitled14.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 31
  • Untitled15.jpg
    Untitled15.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 26
Best guesses: 1 + 2 = buff-fronted foliage gleaner. 3 = marble-faced bristle-tyrant. 4 = montane foliage-gleaner. 5 = spotted tanager

I tend to agree with Motmot that it looks like a Rufescent / Eastern Russet Antshrike. The bill and the jizz don't say Buff-fronted Foliage-Gleaner to me, despite the plumage. Worth noting that this is a very well birded site and the Antshrike isn't recorded in eBird there yet, but then again it's not a common or obvious species and I think it probably gets overlooked, a lot.

I think the Flycatcher is a Slaty-capped on the bill length, overall elongate structure, and pale eye, doesn't have the jizz or dark eye of a Marble-faced or Variegated Bristle-Tyrant.

I've birded intensively the Cock-of-the-rock lodge area quite a few times and never found a Russet Antshrike so I was kind of reluctant to make this call at first. I see from your post pbjosh that I'm not the only one struggling to find this species in Peru.
I can't think of a better candidate though as these pics do really look good for a Russet Antshrike imo.

Here are a few more photos from that bird

Not exactly sure of the area but it was within walking distance from the lodge as you walk towards the lek (half way would be my guess).

Attachments

• Captured.JPG
    Captured.JPG
    114.8 KB · Views: 15
  • Captureb.JPG
    Captureb.JPG
    111.2 KB · Views: 15
  • Capturec.JPG
    Capturec.JPG
    114.5 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back