• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Boat owners warned of seabird predators (1 Viewer)

Kits

Picture Picker
Boat owners are being encouraged to check their vessels for animal stowaways trying to get to islands to prey on seabirds.

The National Trust, RSPB and National Trust for Scotland's new biosecurity campaign aims to protect puffins, Manx shearwater and European storm-petrel.

They fear colonies could be devastated if predators like rats, stoats and mink get to the birds' islands.

The campaign is part of a £700,000 biosecurity project.

Full article here

I fully support that boat and animal owners should check, 100% with that.

Anthropomorphising the animals and giving them credit to be able to plan, as in "animal stowaways trying to get to islands to prey on seabirds" I think is a step too far. Its like Farmer Tweedy in Chicken Run calling "Mrs Tweedy! The chickens are revolting!"

If the animals get to the Islands its bad, but do they really set out to get a boat there.
H

I fully support that boat and animal owners should check, 100% with that.

Anthropomorphising the animals and giving them credit to be able to plan, as in "animal stowaways trying to get to islands to prey on seabirds" I think is a step too far. Its like Farmer Tweedy in Chicken Run calling "Mrs Tweedy! The chickens are revolting!"

If the animals get to the Islands its bad, but do they really set out to get a boat there.
H

Mr Tweedy also stated "These chicken are organised!"
MJB

Boat owners are being encouraged to check their vessels for animal stowaways trying to get to islands to prey on seabirds.

The National Trust, RSPB and National Trust for Scotland's new biosecurity campaign aims to protect puffins, Manx shearwater and European storm-petrel.

They fear colonies could be devastated if predators like rats, stoats and mink get to the birds' islands.

The campaign is part of a £700,000 biosecurity project.

Full article here

There's a rat in the ketch and what am I gonna do....

John

"Stop that sketch! It's getting silly!": Graham Chapman, Monty Python c1970...

Oooops, sorry, you said 'ketch'. I must have misheard...;)
MJB

"Do you want ketchup with your rat on a stick?"* CMOT Dibbler (I think: some Ankh-Morpork entrepreneur, anyway!)

John

* The answer was yes: have you tried rat on a stick without ketchup?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back