• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

West Midlands/Warwickshire local patches. (1 Viewer)

senatore

I think that us birders who live in the West Midlands/Warwickshire area, which is recognised to be a pretty poor area for birding, need a thread to post on the birds we see so others may also go and see them.
I'll start this off but please post what you have seen in our area.

Brandon Marsh (near Coventry).Monday afternoon (11/09/06) :-

5 Green Sandpipers

9 Common Snipe

2 Stonechats

Spotted Flycatcher

Dunlin

Also an Osprey was seen there Sunday evening catching fish.

At Draycote Water several Black Terns have been seen.

Max.

RFI Birds in Sutton Park, Sutton Coldfield

senatore said:
I think that us birders who live in the West Midlands/Warwickshire area, which is recognised to be a pretty poor area for birding, need a thread to post on the birds we see so others may also go and see them.

5 Green Sandpipers

9 Common Snipe

2 Stonechats

Spotted Flycatcher

Dunlin

Max.

Do the local birders know what birds I might see at Sutton Park (Sutton Coldfield)tomorrow?

Yesterday afternoon there was a Hobby at Seeswood Pool,Black Terns at both Shustoke Reservoir and Draycote Water.There was a Med. Gull at Draycote Water.

Anyone heard of anything else in our area?

Max.

senatore said:

5 Green Sandpipers

9 Common Snipe

2 Stonechats

Spotted Flycatcher

Dunlin

Max.

Hi Senatore,

Great idea, I was wondering if there was a W mids thread to post sightings and exchange info.

I went to Kingsbury Waterpark on sunday (the bird reserve part, not the main park) great views from the hides there. Notable sightings were several snipe, a pair of kingfishers showing really well, 5 gadwall, a few teals and wigeon, hundreds of lapwings and an oystercatcher. Apparently at dusk Little Egrets may come in to roost.

Might go to Belvide on sunday if my permit comes in time.

kstar

senatore said:
Yesterday afternoon there was a Hobby at Seeswood Pool,Black Terns at both Shustoke Reservoir and Draycote Water.There was a Med. Gull at Draycote Water.

Anyone heard of anything else in our area?

Max.

Med Gulls have been spoted fairly recently at Sandwell Valley RSPB recently, though I've yet to see one. Saw the Black-tailed Godwit there 2 weeks ago too, don't know if they've had any more there?

Little Egret also reported at Earlswood Lakes recently too.

Yesterday 3 Ruddy Shellducks at Ladywalk.

Yesterday 3 Black Terns and a Merlin at Shustoke Res.

Today a Lesser Spotted woodpecker at Seeswood Pool.

Any more anyone?

Max.

Went to Draycote water yesterday- nothing unusual apart from a strange looking goose in among Canada's near the sailing club. White head with distinct two black lines running up the face and down the back of the neck, light grey body and slightly smaller than the Canada geese. Any ideas? Probably an ornamental escapee? I took a photo but unfortunately not digital.

Yesterday there seemed to be an invasion of Black Terns in our area with 3 at Edgebaston reservoir,25 at Earlswood lakes,28 at Draycote water and 2 at Shushtoke reservoir.

An Arctic Tern was seen at Kingsbury water park.

At the Marsh Lane reserve a Whinchat,a Marsh Tit and a Hobby were seen.

Max.

There are various groups you can sign up to for the latest sightings:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/warwickbirds/ (bit more lively of late)

and

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/WMBC-WestMidlands/

Check out various web sites for online sightings:

http://www.westmidlandbirdclub.com/club/hotline.htm

http://www.draycotebirding.co.uk/ (has a sightings page)

http://www.brandonbirding.co.uk/sightings.asp

http://www.warwickshirebirding.co.uk/ (recent reports, but looks like it doesn't get updated anymore)

Apologies for any i've missed.

Gustave4blues said:
Went to Draycote water yesterday- nothing unusual apart from a strange looking goose in among Canada's near the sailing club. White head with distinct two black lines running up the face and down the back of the neck, light grey body and slightly smaller than the Canada geese. Any ideas? Probably an ornamental escapee? I took a photo but unfortunately not digital.

Photo may help? Maybe a bar-headed goose?

Jeff

Yesterday :-

Black Terns were at Olton Res. (9) and Shustoke Res. (2)

A Black necked Grebe was at Draycote Water

A Gargeney was at Alvecote Pools

Max.

Went to my local patch on Sunday morning ( Marsh Lane) and when the fog cleared ,other than the usual Gulls,Lapwings,Geese and Ducks there was very little around.Saw a lone Common Sandpiper and a couple of Common Snipe but nothing else.It has been quiet there for some time now.

This weekend sightings elsewhere included :-

Common Scoter,Garganey, Pintail and Redbreasted Pochard at Alvecote Pools.

Arctic Skua and B/T Godwit at Dracote Water.

Max.

According to Birdguides Birdmap Glossy Ibis have been spotted at both Swadlincote (Derbys) and Burton upon Trent.

Yesterday 2 Little Egrets and a Green Sandpiper at Marsh Farm Quarry.The Osprey has visited Brandon Marsh again.

Max.

Went to Brandon Marsh yesterday lunchtime and headed to the path opposite the Wright hide to look for Kingfishers.After 30 minutes of not seeing any I headed back down the path when out of the hedge to the left I heard "Pssssttt Are you after the Osprey?".

I joined this birder at the waters edge and had some great views of a fishing Osprey.To cut a long story short the Osprey gave excellent views for the next 90 minutes as it went fishing over all the lakes on the reserve (see pics below).So go and try for it today!!!!

To put icing on the cake I went to the Carlton hide which was empty and saw a Kingfisher on the pole nearest the hide.I have never seen a KF from this hide before(see pics below).

Max.

Attachments

• IMG_3754 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_3754 (Medium).JPG
    22.1 KB · Views: 571
  • IMG_3817 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_3817 (Medium).JPG
    17.2 KB · Views: 541
  • IMG_3848 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_3848 (Medium).JPG
    42 KB · Views: 526
  • IMG_3870 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_3870 (Medium).JPG
    46.7 KB · Views: 498
senatore said:
Went to Brandon Marsh yesterday lunchtime and headed to the path opposite the Wright hide to look for Kingfishers.After 30 minutes of not seeing any I headed back down the path when out of the hedge to the left I heard "Pssssttt Are you after the Osprey?".

I joined this birder at the waters edge and had some great views of a fishing Osprey.To cut a long story short the Osprey gave excellent views for the next 90 minutes as it went fishing over all the lakes on the reserve (see pics below).So go and try for it today!!!!

To put icing on the cake I went to the Carlton hide which was empty and saw a Kingfisher on the pole nearest the hide.I have never seen a KF from this hide before(see pics below).

Max.

Max,

Why not showcase your Brandon pics on the Brandon Marsh photo gallery

http://www.brandonbirding.co.uk/gallery

or record your Brandon Marsh sightings online at

http://www.brandonbirding.co.uk/sightings.asp

Jeff

Is the Osprey still there? I might have to find an excuse to go before the weekend if I can. I've seen the one at Loch Garten and also at Rutland Water, but only perched / chasing off crows.

Looks wonderful :)

Wryneck in Solihull

I notice on todays Birdguides Birdmap that a Wryneck was spotted in Solihull - could anyone give me any info on the location as I work in Solihull and could pop down tommorrow to see if its still around? PMs welcome, this would be a lifer for me B :)

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back