• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hummer, Mindo, Ecuador, August (1 Viewer)

njlarsen

Gallery Moderator
Opus Editor
Supporter
Barbados
Dear all,
this bird is throwing me for a loop. Any good ideas? on one of the other images, it raised the feathers at the base of the lower mandible to a semicircle covering the base of the bill.

Location was at Yellow House lodge, near the lodge buildings.

Thanks
Niels

Attachments

• Hummer q4 P1190163.jpg
    Hummer q4 P1190163.jpg
    195 KB · Views: 191
76 now but can't help off the top of my head. It's a few years since I was in Ecuador so I'll need to do some revision - I'd definitely fail the exam if I took it now!

Having been to Mindo a dozen times and even visited the Yellow House Trails I'm quite surprised I have some problems with this bird. But then again that was 6 years ago and I don't have my field guides here with me. I'm almost certain it's an Amazilia and the default species would be Andean Emerald, however the colours seem odd, but maybe you used a flash?

Maffong

Thanks for the input. No, I did not use flash. During the weekend I might return to this thread and upload a couple of additional images, they all show a dirty-looking underside though not all show the coppery sheen on the upperside. I believe without being certain this was near the houses, not far up the trail. I in part chose this image because it shows a dark subterminal band on the tail, I thought that might ring a bell for someone.

All the Andean Emeralds I saw (quite a lot) were much more clean white on underside and throat areas.

Again, thanks
Niels

I completely agree that colors aren't spot on for Andean Emerald. As you say, it looks very much like you shot it from the porch, would be impressive to get this image of one of the 'wilder' hummers.

However, at Yellow-house, this species is extremely over-represented compared to other species. Looking through my own observations at YH, I would say it could be either Andean Emerald or Green-crowned Brilliant, because of the white eye-patch. Hoping others chime in, in case I'm all wrong :)

My initial thought was Andean Emerald as well, but I also agree with the others who have posted that the colors seem a little off. My other thought is female Booted Racket-tail, which also has a white postocular spot and green spotting on its sides. Your pic looks quite similar to one in Ridgely's "HBs of EC" book.

Female booted Racket-tail does not make sense to me. Comparing to Andean Emerald, the western ssp. would show an equally clear white underside, or at least larger throat area. The male could have a dirty underside, but I think the tail would then differ.

I know the bill is often useless as reference for ID'ing from pics of this angle, but I tell myself that i can see a curve on Niels' bird, Booted Racket-tail's is straight.

Dear all,
thanks for all the discussion. I got a little more time today than I expected. Attached is the slightly different angle I wanted to show. Both this and the original images is in early sun that therefore is coming probably a bit behind me as if I had been using flash.

Here is a photo I consider a fairly typical view of Andean Emerald: http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/546361/limit/recent -- that photo is from the following day, still in the Mindo area, but out of the sun, and that might make some of the difference.

I also today saw the flight image in the Opus page and how bronzy that looked around the tail area: http://www.birdforum.net/opus/Andean_Emerald

All in all, I am coming around to the idea that Andean Emerald probably is correct for this image.

Any further comments?

Niels

Hi Niels,

I believe you forgot to attach your own photo, or am I missing something?

Again, the colors on your bird do not appear to match with a traditional Andean Emerald, but this could be caused by the early sun you mention, and that it may be subadult. The first picture from BF clearly shows the curved bill, which your bird also show.

I'm lacking alternatives, so still Andean Emerald for me.

Thanks for the challenge!

Last edited:
Correct, I forgot to attach. :eek!:

I need to be at a different device before I can do anything about that.

Niels

OK, for that missing attachment

Niels

Attachments

• Hummer q4b P1190162.jpg
    Hummer q4b P1190162.jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 118
I still have no clue what this is. Could it be a hybrid Rufous-tailed Hummingbird x Andean Emerald? looks too odd to be just Andean Emerald

Maffong

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back