• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Philadelphia Vireo? (1 Viewer)

49bentley

Canada
Can someone please confirm this is a Philadelphia Vireo? Taken in Port Credit Ontario.
Thanks
Chris

Attachments

• 0A0A1431.jpg
    0A0A1431.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 84
  • 0A0A1432.jpg
    0A0A1432.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 121
Agree with Tennessee Warb. The undertail pattern works for that species as well.

Actually, the white present on the undertail feathers doesn't work for a Tennessee. This bird fits best a Bay-breasted Warbler imo.

Wow. Interesting. I'm definitely an amateur at this. Comparing fall pics I can see online both look good. But shouldn't there be buff or baycolor underneath if it was a Bay-breasted Warbler?? Any other comments on this one.
Thanks Eduardo for your input.

Actually, the white present on the undertail feathers doesn't work for a Tennessee. This bird fits best a Bay-breasted Warbler imo.
According to my Warblers guide by Dunn and Garrett, male Tennessee has a very similar undertail pattern to Bay-breasted, and both close enough for this bird imo.

On this bird, the eye line would be very heavy for a Bay-breasted, but still it is worth considering.

However, the face pattern doesn't fit for Blackburnian, even 1st year female.

According to my Warblers guide by Dunn and Garrett, male Tennessee has a very similar undertail pattern to Bay-breasted, and both close enough for this bird imo.

That's weird as Tennessee Warblers have a dark tail without any white and Bay-breasteds show big white tail spots.

I looked at the Sibley app I have: in there, first winter Tennessee is drawn with an all dark undertail while the adult female has a rather large white area on the central area of it.

Niels

The tail spots of the bird in the OP are long, bright white and very contrasting with the dark areas, as found in Bay-breasted. In Tennessee, the spots, when present, are diffuse and small, lacking strong contrasts with the dark areas. Tennessee also has a much shorter tail. Here are three FLMNH specimens of each, 1) Bay-breasted, 2) Tennessee

Andy

Attachments

• warbler BayB.jpg
    warbler BayB.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 27
  • Wabler Tenn.jpg
    Wabler Tenn.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 24
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back