• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Caught in a dilemna. (1 Viewer)

stevo

Hi folks.

I've been reading reviews till i'm dizzy,i'm on the lookout for another canon dslr.However I can't decide between the 7D mk2 or the 1D mk4,I shoot pretty much exclusively wildlife.Whilst the mk4 is older technology from what i've read the noise levels & AF are better than the 7D mk2?

Just looking for some input.

Thanks.

Steve.B :):t:

I used to have the 1D4 and have very recently purchased a 7D2.
The 1D4 is an excellent camera and is still not far off "State of the art", many professionals are still using it quite happily. The 7D2 seems to have caused some controversy but the vast majority of users seem very happy. I have had my 7D2 for 1 week today and haven't had a chance to properly try it out! At my current rate the guarantee will have expired before I use it in anger!
My initial impressions of the 7D2 are very positive, I haven't tried it on my Big Whites yet but with the 16-35 F4 L IS and 24-70 F2.8 L V2 it seems to perform well.
The newer tech of the 7D2 is nice but the "OLD" tech of the 1D4 is solid, fast and well proven. To me the 1D4 still feels a faster responding camera - the 7D2 is no slouch though!
I wouldn't get hung up too much on crop factors as they make somewhat less difference than the multipliers would suggest in practice - though the APSC sensors do give a little more reach. The ISO performance between the two seems to be about the same depending on which files you prefer to work with. Either will do well up to 3200ISO, more with some work.
A couple of other things to consider are, Batteries - the higher voltage of the 1D4 batteries does drive big lenses quicker, not much but I notice it on my 300 F2.8 and 800 F5.6, and the greater capacity is nice too! Both have excellent AF systems but I found the 1D4 easier to set up - probably because there are fewer options! Weight - the 1 series cameras are big and heavy, do not drop one on your foot! This must be considered where mobility is an issue - in fact the reason I bought my 7D2 was to give me a lighter option to my 1DX as well as a backup. Price - you can get a new 7D2 for under £800 if you hunt around these days, a !D4 will be more. Against that the 7D2 will require more batteries (2 is MORE than enough for a 1D4) and possibly a battery grip.

All in all it is a difficult decision, but the one thing I can guarantee is that neither is wrong! A lot of you decision will come down to factors such as handling (the 1D4 is much better here IMO), weight cost etc etc. You really need to badger some local TOGS and try the cameras out for yourself. It is a shame that Hogwarts is so far from South Wales as you would be more than welcome to play with my 7D2, a friend's 1D4 and my 1DX on a variety of lenses.

Thanks John,really well thought out and detailed response.I live in southampton by the way.I talked to a few guys last week who were using the 7d2 all were happy with the performance,they recommended sitting down and going through the af as it's quite complex apparently.

Cheers.

Steve.

Hi folks.

...I can't decide between the 7D mk2 or the 1D mk4, ...

Just looking for some input.

Thanks.

Steve.B :):t:

Hi, I have both a 1D Mark IV and a more recently purchased 7D Mark II. Both were s/h purchases. The 7D Mark II is surprisingly heavy compared to my 5D Mark II which has the larger prism.

As John has said, both are very good cameras, and in general, they deliver. My 7D (original) for no obvious reason sometimes didn't - even on what I thought was an easy thing to focus on. The 7D Mark II has some nice modern features, but my gut feeling is that I'd choose the 1D Mark IV for the more demanding and important shoot. I've used the 1D Mark IV extensively with an EF 500 F/4L IS, and to a degree with an EF 300 F/2.8L IS. I've also used them with Canon extenders (both 1.4x Mk I and 2x Mk II & III), and here my hit rate of really sharp shots dropped somewhat. Is it me, AF-MA settings or what?
The buffer on the 1D Mark IV held up when I needed it when shooting the Tour of Britain peleton - something over 100 shots in one long burst as the cyclists rode past my position in 2014.

Unless I've missed something (and I probably have), the method of choosing the AF pattern on the 7D II can take some time getting back to the one you've just left! Both bodies offer a video facility, but I use a "proper" camcorder for video. Not sure whether it's quite so important now with pros using high resolution standard sized bodies, but the large body of the 1D Mark IV signals that you're serious, and in my case, has helped me to retain a good vantage point when covering a local newsworthy event. OTOH the 7D Mark II with the EFs 15-85 makes a capable, but heavy, outfit for a day out doing things other than photography.

I've never had any problems driving Canon's Big Whites using a 1D Mark III or Mark IV, whereas I did have problems some years ago using a 5D when shooting birds. The camera simply stopped when shooting with an EF 300 F2.8L - changing the lens to a small zoom, and it was fine. So far, no problems with either of my 7D models - perhaps the later batteries have a better performance.

The AF on my 1D IV was fast enough to re-acquire a kingfisher after it flew off a perch to its nest hole - more or less directly away from my camera position. In a sequence of 4 or 5 shots the first shot after leaving the perch is very soft, and subsequent shots get sharper, and the last pair are more than acceptable.

Buy either and enjoy!

Last edited:
Unless I've missed something (and I probably have), the method of choosing the AF pattern on the 7D II can take some time getting back to the one you've just left!

Hi Malcolm,
Here is how my AF pattern setting evolved:

1. The camera default involved pressing a button on the top plate and then using the AF selection lever.
2. I reprogrammed the AF selection lever so that the button on the top plate was not needed and the AF selection area can be adjusted at any time.
3. I use back button AF for all my photography and use the * button for AF. I became more used to the AF settings that worked for me for birds perched and for birds in flight. I programmed the main settings to C3 and C2.
4. Occasionally I wanted to switch between single point and single point spot AF for perched birds and between large zone and single point expansion for birds in flight. To do this instantly I reprogrammed the AF on button to AF on and then in details selected the (for me secondary) AF pattern. I now have the camera set so that pressing the * button focuses using my primary AF pattern choice and the AF on button focuses using my secondary AF pattern choice. I went one step further and in details set the auto focus mode to one shot for the single point spot AF.
Of course you can still use the AF selection lever to over ride the AF focus pattern.

I have a feeling that most people fine tune their 7D MkII to the extent that if you picked up someone else's camera it would be a while before you could shoot with it. :t:

Hi Malcolm,
Here is how my AF pattern setting evolved:

1. The camera default involved pressing a button on the top plate and then using the AF selection lever.
2. I reprogrammed the AF selection lever so that the button on the top plate was not needed and the AF selection area can be adjusted at any time....

I use several quite different Canon DSLRs, so I've tended to leave them on their defaults, apart from setting up different AF points depending on the camera's orientation, if that's an option.

Anyway, Many Thanks - I guess I've now got something to get my head round during Xmas - assuming I'm not sleeping off too much food.

Best Wishes.

I forgot to mention that the "Buffer" on my 7D2 is nearly as good as my 1DX. Both using 1000x Lexar 32GB CF cards I get about 53 RAW files (at 10fps) with the 1DX and about 45 with the 7D2 (at 9 fps) before the cameras slow down. So the 7D2 isn't quite as good but for the price, I think it is excellent in this department. I don't see me ever filling the buffer!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back