View Single Post
Old Monday 9th July 2012, 18:56   #36
Sal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Conway - ebirder View Post
Okay so I have an update.

I have booked a private vehicle for a week in the Masai Mara. Sure its expensive but I think its the only way I would happy and from experiences of lots of other photographers most likely to get what I want. This is the last week in Feb.

So that leaves me the following still to plan.

------

1. A day in the Cape plus some Penguin action - am staying near Hermanes so that should be straightforward. Any suggestions?
2. A pelagic. I have been recommended Zest for birds. Does anyone know the schedule for 013. Do they run in March. I suspect Trevor can help
3. A short Safari break with my OH. After the wedding we want to spend two or three days doing a more normal tourist style safari (of course photo opps not spurned!). I am thinking a lodge for a few days but would welcome suggestions? Is it realistic to drive from the Cape or is is best to fly, bearing in mind we are limited on time? Targets I suppose would be Leopard, or anything we are likely to struggle with in MM.

Thanks.
I can't advise you on 1 or 2 but I'm sure Trevor or Dave can. Re the safari break it depends so much on what you want. If you go to a lodge somewhere you will have luxury and all your meals and be driven. There are some good concession lodges in Kruger such as Singita , Lukumbi, Tinga, Jocks Safari Lodge and Spa, Hamiltons Tented Camp and so on, and you can fly in to Nelspruit International airport from CapeTown. I would imagine that you could then arrange to be met there by whichever lodge you chose. If not, you could hire a vehicle. Pre-book it and it will be waiting for you at the airport. I think I have already mentioned other lodges in Sabi Sands. I don't know the Cape so well, but others do and could make some suggestions that would mean you didn't have to travel so far afield for just a few days. All of these places have the big 5 but there are never guarantees. Lodges in Sabi Sands might have the edge here as they have a very well set-up radio network and controlled drive-ins to sightings.

BF Supporter 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 Support BirdForum With A Donation