• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My first spotting scope delta titanium 65 ED II? (1 Viewer)

simplaz

Hello,

Im about to buy my first Spotting scope for birding.
After lots of research I found this:
Delta Optical Titanium 65 ED II 15-45x for 390 Euro.
What do you think? Is it worth for birding?
I was looking for bigger millimeters and zoom range, but these has no ED coating for my budget.

thanks

Tomas

I owned a similar scope to the Delta. It was sold under the Promaster brand if I am not mistaken. Very compact 65 mm scope and the ability to use 1.25 Astro eyepieces is a nice bonus. The supplied zoom isn’t too shabby either. ��

https://www.amazon.com/ProMaster-Infinity-Elite-Spotting-Scope/dp/B00EJSQZLM

I owned a rebranded version of the Helios as well. It is a bit of a go-to scope at its regular price point. It is notably longer than the Delta.

http://predatoroptics.info/catalog/product.asp?ret_id=1185759&pid=1030247

I don’t really think you could go wrong with either.

Last edited:
I think you can actually go wrong with either one..400 euro for the Delta is expensive...the scope is ok,but I dont trust the quality control..I bought one used and something was really wrong with it..I tried some eyepieces on the scope and seems like the eyepiece caused some of the trouble,but the scope was also problematic. Couldnt focus properly....The eyepiece looks like the Baader Hyperion ,but only externally..totally different viewing experience, with much narrow view and not as sharp...big problem is that although the eyepiece can be removed,doesnt offer a proper manner to fit another eyepiece. You can insert astro eyepieces,but you cant lock them in place..so if the zoom fails,very possible in the next few years,(internal debris,stuck mechanism...)You would be in trouble...The Fieldmaster I had, also had some optical problems..not very good,altough ok for low magnification...the zoom was removable,if i remember well,but we could not,with many members in the forum looking into the matter,find a proper match for a wide angle eyepiece...I would not trust the zoom either for a long usable life...they are cheap scopes but 400 euros start to feel like money,so i would invest in a second hand kowa TSN3 or something like this celestron regal
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Celestro...178241&hash=item41e047c260:g:qQ8AAOSw6yJa3Nbx
a much better scope with real astronomy eyepìece usability,Or you can buy a smaller premium scope like the Nikon ED50 or Opticron MM4 50,probably close to your budget,and get better results in the long run

Last edited:
Thanks Mayoayo,
Delta scope is out of my list.
Now im thinking about these:
Vanguard HD 82, Celestron Regal M2 65 or increase my budget (i dont like) and go with Nikon ED50 with eyepiece 13-30x or 20-45x. But Nikon doubles my budget. Not sure

Just to throw another into the mix, Opticron came out with a non-ED version of their popular MM3 60 mm series. It is roughly half the price of the ED version. I believe the typical selling price for the scope with the new HR3 eyepiece is in the $450 US range.

Try placing an add in the "wanted" section of the forum classifieds and see what offers you get for your budget,,,used ,the ED50 shall be close to that 400 euro budget..This is a very safe place to buy optics actually

Last edited:
First Spotting scope

Hi, not that I have any experience of the scopes you're thinking of but I do have the Celestron Regal M2 80 ED. Comparing this to more expensive scopes like the Vortex Razor I can't see that much of a difference except for when using the highest magnification where the Regal is inferior. You can get the 65mm version for around 400 euros if you shop around. For me who lives in Sweden British shops are the best price wise but I guess that depends on which currency your country has and who it stands up to the pound.

By the way, I'm thinking of replacing the original zoom eyepiece that came with the Regal scope with the Baader Hyperion mark IV zoom. Maybe someone following this thread can advise me if that would be a good upgrade.

Best of luck ��

Last edited:
I live in Gods forgotten country with poor economics. I can only try the cheap scopes. Everything that cost more tran 300€ you have to order and wait 2-4 weeks. Moreover everything costs 20-50% more then regular prices. I found Vanguard 20-60x 82ED used with few scraches on body on amazon with 35% discount and ordered it. I will get it in 3 weeks (doesnt post directly to Lithuania). Hope it will be in good shape and i hope it will be as good as many reviews

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back