• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

"fast" refractors for astrobirding (1 Viewer)

No, it is not, because the phone will not be in the sight line of the scope. With the LCD at least you can still sort of keep your eye on what is going on, though for me it is totally unpractical unless I get myself a pair of bifocals. I only use the LCD on static subjects, like test charts or the moon etc, but for normal use the EVF without glasses is my preferred display. I wear a thinish pair of distance glasses and can easily just look over them in the eyepiece.

No, it is not, because the phone will not be in the sight line of the scope. With the LCD at least you can still sort of keep your eye on what is going on, though for me it is totally unpractical unless I get myself a pair of bifocals. I only use the LCD on static subjects, like test charts or the moon etc, but for normal use the EVF without glasses is my preferred display. I wear a thinish pair of distance glasses and can easily just look over them in the eyepiece.

That's what I said in my first post on this. The Air is not a good choice ! We have different arguments but we have the same opinion. Merry Xmas !

John,

You cannot use the Olympus Air for prime focusing.

What you need is a camera body, e.g. E-M5, and attach it to the scope with an adapter (2" - micro 4/3). In between the scope and the adapter you will need a 2" extension tube in order to support focus at close distance. 80mm length is what most people here use, it should allow close focus distance of some 4-6 meters while still being able to focus at infinity. How close is depending on the design of the scope and the camera used.
I need to take back this statement after checking the Air specs, realizing that the Air comes without lens and can be coupled with any u4/3 lens. You could use the Air in prime focusing mode (without lens, connected to the scope with a 2" adapter with m4/3 fitting).

Aplologies for the confusion I may have caused.

The issue would probably be the ergonomy. When operating the scope setup with a natural and comfortable stance you want to look through the viewfinder, operate the camera controls with the right hand fingers, tactile feedback provided by shutter button, dials and buttons while the left hand is on the focuser knob. The LCD can be used as a complement to the viewfinder, for instance taking pictures from extreme low perspective, but I would be very reluctant to use a camera without viewfinder. Much easier to focus with in any light conditions, the dioptre adjustment enables use with/without glasses, finding subjects and tracking is much easier.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back